Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Klingon Fleetyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Omega Graviton Amplifier and Torpedo Boats (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=499701)

illcadia 12-29-2012 12:25 PM

Omega Graviton Amplifier and Torpedo Boats

Good thing... or bad thing?

I've recently hit tier 4 on Omega Rep, and been considering which option to get. As I primarily fly a B'rel torpedo boat, extra shield regen is useless to me...

but I'm wondering if the kinetic damage would actually harm my build more than help it- as if I'm not doing damage to shields (dealing fixed damage instead of knocking shields out) then I'll never be getting the big hits during the second half of my attack run, as their shields will still be up.

As anyone tested this interaction out, and if so what are your findings?

Because as cool as the kinetic damage is, I may very well take the useless ability if the other choice actually nerfs my build.

mimey2 12-29-2012 03:49 PM

Unfortunately, my KDF who flies the B'rel hasn't reached tier 4 Omega, so I can't really say too much.

My thought though, is that it could potentially be very very useful in a transphasic or other bleedthrough type builds.

Transphasic cluster torpedo, transphasic mines with dispersal patterns, fun times. Ignore their shields and just rip through hull. If you're using DEM and such, can also still be useful there.

Not sure otherwise though.

mandoknight89 12-29-2012 03:53 PM

I don't see how it would hurt your build unless you start to rely on it (which, for a 5% chance on a slow-firing weapon such as a torpedo, even if you have four launchers, is a pretty silly idea). The bonus only adds extra shield-penetrating damage, it does not reduce the amount of damage the shields take (the 100% penetration is applied only to the 751-or-so damage from the proc), so the only way it could really hurt you is if an opponent tripped their kinetic resists more quickly because of that extra little bit of damage.

ankokuneko 12-29-2012 04:24 PM

The tier 4 passive on my transphasic boat seems to make stuff die faster, and a cloaked dpb3 tranphasic mine spam with the passive is always fun

illcadia 12-30-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandoknight89 (Post 7281961)
I don't see how it would hurt your build unless you start to rely on it (which, for a 5% chance on a slow-firing weapon such as a torpedo, even if you have four launchers, is a pretty silly idea). The bonus only adds extra shield-penetrating damage, it does not reduce the amount of damage the shields take (the 100% penetration is applied only to the 751-or-so damage from the proc), so the only way it could really hurt you is if an opponent tripped their kinetic resists more quickly because of that extra little bit of damage.

Oh, I see. I was under the impression it procced 100% chance on torpedoes, and replaced torpedo damage with the 751.4 shield penetration. Whoops.

pottsey5g 12-30-2012 03:19 PM

The passive is next to useless for torpedo boats. You will be lucky to get 37dps from the passive for torpedo weapons only. One way to look at is 5 triggers per 100 torpedoes shot. Torpedo spreads only count as 1 shot. Due to the low fire rate you can shoot for minuets without at trigger and might only get 2 triggers per STF.