Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Tactical Escort Refit - Best Layout (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=500301)

samb0wski 12-29-2012 11:51 PM

Tactical Escort Refit - Best Layout
 
I've still new in this game. Less than 3 months in and I am currently level 50. I've been using a Tactical Escort Refit for the past month or so. It is a very effective, touch little ship. Lately I have realized that as I have progressed in Ranks and as I continue on the Romulan Missions, the ships firepower seems to be faltering.

Up front I have a Quantum Torpedo launcer and the Hargh'peng, along with a Quad Cannon and a Plasma Dual Heavy cannon. Aft I have Phaser Turret and a Disruptor Turret.

Tactical Consoles I got a Zero Point Quantum Chamber, Warhead Yield Chamber and a Prefire Chamber.

All my Bridge Officer are ranked Commander. And the ship has slots for 2 Tactical, 2 Engineering and 1 Science.

What I want to know is, what can I add to increase the Firepower of my ship.

Should I get rid of that Quad Cannon in favor of a Dual Heavy Cannon?

And the Turrets, while extremely useful in giving an all round arc of fire, and especially useful in destroying heavy plasma torpedos, is it better adviced to replace them with something else?

Looking forward to your feedback and advice. Many thanks!

empireofsteve 12-30-2012 12:05 AM

I would go three dual heavy cannons up front with one quantum torpedo. In the back I would go for two turrets and a mine or three turrets. Make sure all cannons and turrets are the same energy type. Use consoles that enhance your energy weapon type only. For bridge officer abilities I would go for scatter volley three torpedo spread three, scatter volley two, two copies of attack k pattern beta one and two tactical teams.

samb0wski 12-30-2012 12:55 AM

Thanks Steve. I'm not sure, I will check when I get home. But I could have sworn that my Escort had only 2 aft weapons slots. Maybe I didn't notice the 3rd. But thanks for that layout. Will try it out for sure tonight.

kapla1755 12-30-2012 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samb0wski (Post 7286401)
I've still new in this game. Less than 3 months in and I am currently level 50. I've been using a Tactical Escort Refit for the past month or so. It is a very effective, touch little ship. Lately I have realized that as I have progressed in Ranks and as I continue on the Romulan Missions, the ships firepower seems to be faltering.

Up front I have a Quantum Torpedo launcer and the Hargh'peng, along with a Quad Cannon and a Plasma Dual Heavy cannon. Aft I have Phaser Turret and a Disruptor Turret.

Tactical Consoles I got a Zero Point Quantum Chamber, Warhead Yield Chamber and a Prefire Chamber.

All my Bridge Officer are ranked Commander. And the ship has slots for 2 Tactical, 2 Engineering and 1 Science.

What I want to know is, what can I add to increase the Firepower of my ship.

Should I get rid of that Quad Cannon in favor of a Dual Heavy Cannon?

And the Turrets, while extremely useful in giving an all round arc of fire, and especially useful in destroying heavy plasma torpedos, is it better adviced to replace them with something else?

Looking forward to your feedback and advice. Many thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by empireofsteve (Post 7286451)
I would go three dual heavy cannons up front with one quantum torpedo. In the back I would go for two turrets and a mine or three turrets. Make sure all cannons and turrets are the same energy type. Use consoles that enhance your energy weapon type only. For bridge officer abilities I would go for scatter volley three torpedo spread three, scatter volley two, two copies of attack k pattern beta one and two tactical teams.

Good advice on the weapon / boff layout the problems I see are:

1. You said your flying the tactical escort refit at level 50? its a Captain level escort so only has 2 aft weapon slots. so is it this ship?

http://www.stowiki.org/Tactical_Escort_Refit

2. If you like the look of the defiant and are willing to spend money you can get the Tactical escort Retrofit its the upgraded version of what you have.

http://www.stowiki.org/Tactical_Escort_Retrofit

3. or try

http://www.stowiki.org/Blockade_Runner_Escort_Retrofit

http://www.stowiki.org/Heavy_Escort_Carrier

http://www.stowiki.org/Multi-Vector_Advanced_Escort

All are escort class and a blast to play with and have 4 forward / 3 aft weapons with a very nice turn rate.

4. If money is an issue and u haven't used your rear admiral ship token you might try:

http://www.stowiki.org/Patrol_Escort

very similar boff layout - LTC Tac vs LT Tac , 4 Tac consoles vs 3 Tac consoles

Weapons preference is up to you but it is generally better to run all the same type of weapons so you only have to buy 1 type of tac console. my general preference in the Defiant if you like the quad cannons is:

FORE
2x Phaser dual heavy cannons
1x Phaser Quad cannon
1x Quantum torpedo launcher


AFT
2x Phaser turrets
1x Hargh'Peng ,or Additional Phaser turret


in your tactical console slots you could run:
3x Phaser Relay + 1x Zero Point Quantum chamber or
4x Phaser Relay - the dmg bonus stacks without issue as i understand it

so if you have Mk XI Phaser relays = 26.2% base dmg boost from each console or 4 x 26.2 = 104.8% BASE dmg boost vs 78.6% for running 3x same console

Happy Hunting :D

baudl 12-30-2012 01:56 AM

the third ensign is kind of a stepchild on this ship, but if you run torpedos just get spread 1 or HY1
another option is to equip a DBB and get a BO3 somewhere in there...in that case you can get the 3rd ensign a target subsystem engines or whatever. That variant is often used in PVP by players.

samb0wski 12-30-2012 02:51 AM

Thanks for the advice Kapla1755. I am using the Tactical Escort Refit at the moment. It is the Captain level ship.

I already used the free ship at Read Admiral Level to buy a Assault Cruiser. Will try to buy the Blockade Runner Escort Retrofit. It looks to be the more powerful of the ships you have listed.

Isn't the Hargh'Peng more powerful than the Quantum Torpedo? Is it worth having it as a aft firing weapon compared to fore firewing weapon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kapla1755 (Post 7286941)
Good advice on the weapon / boff layout the problems I see are:

1. You said your flying the tactical escort refit at level 50? its a Captain level escort so only has 2 aft weapon slots. so is it this ship?

http://www.stowiki.org/Tactical_Escort_Refit

2. If you like the look of the defiant and are willing to spend money you can get the Tactical escort Retrofit its the upgraded version of what you have.

http://www.stowiki.org/Tactical_Escort_Retrofit

3. or try

http://www.stowiki.org/Blockade_Runner_Escort_Retrofit

http://www.stowiki.org/Heavy_Escort_Carrier

http://www.stowiki.org/Multi-Vector_Advanced_Escort

All are escort class and a blast to play with and have 4 forward / 3 aft weapons with a very nice turn rate.

4. If money is an issue and u haven't used your rear admiral ship token you might try:

http://www.stowiki.org/Patrol_Escort

very similar boff layout - LTC Tac vs LT Tac , 4 Tac consoles vs 3 Tac consoles

Weapons preference is up to you but it is generally better to run all the same type of weapons so you only have to buy 1 type of tac console. my general preference in the Defiant if you like the quad cannons is:

FORE
2x Phaser dual heavy cannons
1x Phaser Quad cannon
1x Quantum torpedo launcher


AFT
2x Phaser turrets
1x Hargh'Peng ,or Additional Phaser turret


in your tactical console slots you could run:
3x Phaser Relay + 1x Zero Point Quantum chamber or
4x Phaser Relay - the dmg bonus stacks without issue as i understand it

so if you have Mk XI Phaser relays = 26.2% base dmg boost from each console or 4 x 26.2 = 104.8% BASE dmg boost vs 78.6% for running 3x same console

Happy Hunting :D


woodwhity 12-30-2012 03:09 AM

Before buying the ugly steamrunner, consider the Fleet Tactical Escort retrofit. Its the Fleet Variant of the Tactical Escort retrofit and really powerful. And you dont have to spend money on it, since the four Fleet Modules can be bought via the exchange.

samb0wski 12-30-2012 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodwhity (Post 7287551)
Before buying the ugly steamrunner, consider the Fleet Tactical Escort retrofit. Its the Fleet Variant of the Tactical Escort retrofit and really powerful. And you dont have to spend money on it, since the four Fleet Modules can be bought via the exchange.


Thanks woodwhity. Exchange as in the one at Starbase 1? And where do I have to go to get those Fleet Modules? And after getting them do I automatically get the ship or it has to be crafted or something?

kapla1755 12-30-2012 03:45 AM

http://www.stowiki.org/Fleet_Tactical_Escort_Retrofit

You'll need access to a fleet that has a teir 3 shipyard and the 4 modules.
The exchange is the one on ESD or DS9,(search) just search "fleet module" under description. For some reson I thought it required a teir 5 shipyard but its very early so kinda loopy :)

The Hargh'peng is unaffected by any torp skills is why I put it in back. I leave it on autofire
And slot a projectile doff to reduce the cooldown.
Its got more pow and takes hazard emitters to clear or target gets a nice secondary explosion sometimes enough to finish the job.

samb0wski 12-30-2012 03:53 AM

Thanks again kapla1755. According to that wiki site 'The number of Fleet Ship Modules required to purchase a Fleet Ship will vary based on the ship, other ship unlocks on your account, and other factors. For example, if your character already owns the tier 5 C-Store version of a ship, then the respective "Fleet Retrofit" will not cost 20,000 and four modules, but only 20,000 and one module'

So since already have the Captain level Tactical Escort Refit, does it mean i only need to get 1 module in order to get the Fleet Tactical Escort Retrofit?

The fleet I joined is new the 13th Autonomous Battle Group. I think the Shipyard is only a level 1 yard for the time being. Guess will have to wait a while for the Shipyard to get up to par :D


Quote:

Originally Posted by kapla1755 (Post 7287811)
http://www.stowiki.org/Fleet_Tactical_Escort_Retrofit

You'll need access to a fleet that has a teir 3 shipyard and the 4 modules.
The exchange is the one on ESD or DS9,(search) just search "fleet module" under description. For some reson I thought it required a teir 5 shipyard but its very early so kinda loopy :)

The Hargh'peng is unaffected by any torp skills is why I put it in back. I leave it on autofire
And slot a projectile doff to reduce the cooldown.
Its got more pow and takes hazard emitters to clear or target gets a nice secondary explosion sometimes enough to finish the job.



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:12 AM.