Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Shipyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Are the new Romulan plasma weapons worth the cost? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=501971)

djf021 12-31-2012 09:54 PM

Are the new Romulan plasma weapons worth the cost?
 
I just unlocked the Mk XII beam arrays, and was disappointed to see they are so expensive. Don't get me wrong this is not meant as a complaint, just as a concern, and here's why:
Plasma type weapons won't really be a good option for PVP, because most will have a MACO or Omega shield. So no use there. In PVE, they would certainly be useful, but I have a few thoughts. First, at 28,000 dil plus, I'll have a LOT of grinding to do to outfit a ship. And from what I see the best options are either acc x2 or dmgx2. Which is great, but lets take dmgx2 for a moment: I could spend over 125,000 dil for six of them. OR, I could get fleet plasma beam arrays for less than HALF the dilithium cost, they would do more damage, and be more accurate. (Assuming I got the acc modifier). This would allow me to still take advantage of the Romulan singularity harness. The only thing I would be lacking is the damage resistance proc. But is that ONE proc worth WELL over 60,000 dil? What are your opinions /advise? Thanks!

sollvax 12-31-2012 10:00 PM

probably NOT if you pvp at all

oridjerraa 12-31-2012 10:17 PM

It really depend on the ship your equipping them on. My ship, a Tac Oddy with engineer has seen a huge improvement running acc2 romulan plasma beams, but the key was having 3 sci console slots to utlize the + plasma damage romulan consoles. Combined with the experimental romulan 2 set piece bonus the USS ORCA has + 28% damage, or just shy of a 4th tac console worth of damage.

Brody is also my pvp character. A word to the wise, the shield resistance on maco, omega and borg, is just that, shields only. My primary concern in PvP is healing, but I also provide solid pressure damage, shield resistance or not. I think a Tac Escort is likely better off running different weapons simply because they already have an abundance of innate tac console slots. My friend and fleetmate, Stormy, runs a Tac Vesta and guess what, it has 4 sci console slots ontop of 4 tac console slots. Needless to say that is an aweful lot of burn!

Some ships will do well with romulan plasma, others not so much. Poor Bug hehe.

hereticknight085 01-01-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oridjerraa (Post 7307861)
It really depend on the ship your equipping them on. My ship, a Tac Oddy with engineer has seen a huge improvement running acc2 romulan plasma beams, but the key was having 3 sci console slots to utlize the + plasma damage romulan consoles. Combined with the experimental romulan 2 set piece bonus the USS ORCA has + 28% damage, or just shy of a 4th tac console worth of damage.

Brody is also my pvp character. A word to the wise, the shield resistance on maco, omega and borg, is just that, shields only. My primary concern in PvP is healing, but I also provide solid pressure damage, shield resistance or not. I think a Tac Escort is likely better off running different weapons simply because they already have an abundance of innate tac console slots. My friend and fleetmate, Stormy, runs a Tac Vesta and guess what, it has 4 sci console slots ontop of 4 tac console slots. Needless to say that is an aweful lot of burn!

Some ships will do well with romulan plasma, others not so much. Poor Bug hehe.

Forgive my apparent ignorance even after all my time playing, but what sci consoles boost plasma damage? Off the top of my head I can't think of anything that does other than plasma infusers and ambiplasma envelopes, which are tac consoles.

fulleatherjacket 01-01-2013 12:30 AM

I just bought the fleet advanced plasma weapons to get my plasma fix for PvE. You really only need one [ACC] for shooting npc's anyway and being 1/3 the dilithium cost for moar base damage beats out the disruptor proc by a huge margin.

fulleatherjacket 01-01-2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hereticknight085 (Post 7308361)
Forgive my apparent ignorance even after all my time playing, but what sci consoles boost plasma damage? Off the top of my head I can't think of anything that does other than plasma infusers and ambiplasma envelopes, which are tac consoles.

He's referring to the Embassy +/- threat consoles that add a plasma proc to non-plasma weapons. They also boost the damage of plasma weapons.

hereticknight085 01-01-2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fulleatherjacket (Post 7308401)
He's referring to the Embassy +/- threat consoles that add a plasma proc to non-plasma weapons. They also boost the damage of plasma weapons.

Roughly translated: Until my fleet decides to actually do embassy stuff (not happening) I won't get to enjoy this massive plasma insanity. Curses.

fulleatherjacket 01-01-2013 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hereticknight085 (Post 7308481)
Roughly translated: Until my fleet decides to actually do embassy stuff (not happening) I won't get to enjoy this massive plasma insanity. Curses.

If you like, you can briefly join my fleet to take advantage of our embassy requisitions to buy a couple of the consoles (only at tier 1, so stuck with Mk X for now). In exchange, some fleet mark donations would be awesome if you have any. That, or we can negotiate some other price. I'll have the requisitions complete in 15 hours.

lasonio 01-01-2013 03:08 AM

eeeer have you guys seen the romulan full set? My god is that thing a sight to behold, it makes me want to use plasma and not care bout the consequences.

ATM I'm using the uni-console alone and she's a suitor! Go, go check her out and then look at the set bonuses and tell me that she doesn't make plasma procs worth using, my god my god talk about rome burning this thing will set it on fire and poor on the gasolina!

hereticknight085 01-01-2013 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fulleatherjacket (Post 7308801)
If you like, you can briefly join my fleet to take advantage of our embassy requisitions to buy a couple of the consoles (only at tier 1, so stuck with Mk X for now). In exchange, some fleet mark donations would be awesome if you have any. That, or we can negotiate some other price. I'll have the requisitions complete in 15 hours.

Nah, but thanks for the offer, much appreciated ;)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:00 AM.