Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Playing "Elite Difficulty" turns out to be a waste (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=502191)

thunaeris 01-01-2013 07:34 AM

Playing "Elite Difficulty" turns out to be a waste

I recently decided to have a go at Elite Difficulty during missions, both for the challenge and for the alleged higher value drops.
I found it harder work and a more interesting challenge but still doable, it just takes a little more time to take down enemies rather than insta-kill, which is good and expected.

I was expecting to get maybe slightly less frequent drops but slightly better ones, yet oddly the drops are actually worse, despite the efforts. I end up with endless drops of various batteries and commodities (seemingly more than before) and if I end up with anything like an engine I'm lucky to find it to be even equal to what I might have gotten playing normal and so people are aware I tested it out playing the same missions over and over to compare results.

I wouldn't mind if I got less frequent drops or if they were really harder to get, so long as it was worth the bother.

Currently it seems Elite and possibly Advanced ( I haven't bothered with the latter) are totally pointless except for extra frustration or masochistic flagellation.

This is especially true with the increased chance of taking damage and needing to trudge off to get things repaired.

What are other peoples experiences playing "Elite" and does it ever pay?
It seems broken, so for me; I think I will no longer bother.

sandormen123 01-01-2013 07:49 AM

I understand where you are coming from, but i also have to add; The longer a game is being played, the fewer 'better' drops you will find. Ultimately, there will be a certain point where nothing is 'worth' anything, but for EC. -Either by discarding them, or selling through exchange. If you have spent vast amounts of dollars to get all the p2w-items there are, you have technically ruined 'the game' for yourself. After that, the only gameplay left is either grinding dilithium for zen or grinding for accolades. Imo.

trahl 01-01-2013 10:57 AM

While thats true, I have the same problem OP does.

I was hoping to get more purple consoles- even if they were lower levels.

radkip 01-01-2013 11:12 AM

The only "improved" drops I've seen since switching to Elite are more Critical Components and Regenerators being dropped. Everything else is white or green garbage that I don't even pick up unless they're engines, deflectors or shields that actually vendor for a decent chunk of change.

I don't think it's a waste though. It keeps me on my game by having to deal with disgusting amounts of damage, which is what I see in PvP.

kirksplat 01-01-2013 11:34 AM

Maybe it works differently with foundry missions. I play my own "Gladiator Rumble" (farming for lootz, 20 mins) on normal and I get mostly greens and a few blues. When I play on elite (35 mins) I get a lot more blues.

Never purples, but I don't think foundry rewards purples. If you haven't burnt through you daily foundry lootz amount, try this twice and see if you get far better drops on elite v. normal.

It's a quick grind-filled way to compare your loot drops on different settings. 15 boss battles of increasing difficulty until you fight level 03 Undine. Plus, if you use the IOR daily, you'll get (960 dil +50 FMs) X 2 for the comparison.

latinumbar 01-01-2013 11:36 AM

Statistically speaking, the drops are better on elite. But it may not be noticeable to you unless you play elite all the time. For example, let's say the chance on a purple drop on 'normal' is 0.01%. Even if elite triples the chance of a purple drop, that brings it to 0.03%. If playing on elite gives 10x the chance of a purple, that's 0.1% which is still an extremely rare drop rate.

logicalspock 01-01-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by latinumbar (Post 7313121)
Statistically speaking, the drops are better on elite. But it may not be noticeable to you unless you play elite all the time. For example, let's say the chance on a purple drop on 'normal' is 0.01%. Even if elite triples the chance of a purple drop, that brings it to 0.03%. If playing on elite gives 10x the chance of a purple, that's 0.1% which is still an extremely rare drop rate.

Mainly you notice more blue and green drops, and most green drops are worthless and maybe 10% of blue drops are worth significantly more than the EC value.

kingdoxy 01-01-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by latinumbar (Post 7313121)

Yeah, I remember the devs saying something like purple drops are increased by something huge like 10x. But considering how rare a purple drop is you really need to play a long time before you see it actually make a difference.

Also beating "boss" characters is important to getting more rare drops.

lordfuzun 01-01-2013 02:45 PM

Teh increased difficult levels don't increase the chances for "a" drop of any kind. That's remain the same. What changes is that you have increased chances for better drops when they do happen.

indyshark 01-02-2013 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirksplat (Post 7313111)
Maybe it works differently with foundry missions. I play my own "Gladiator Rumble" (farming for lootz, 20 mins) on normal and I get mostly greens and a few blues. When I play on elite (35 mins) I get a lot more blues.

Never purples, but I don't think foundry rewards purples. If you haven't burnt through you daily foundry lootz amount, try this twice and see if you get far better drops on elite v. normal.

It's a quick grind-filled way to compare your loot drops on different settings. 15 boss battles of increasing difficulty until you fight level 03 Undine. Plus, if you use the IOR daily, you'll get (960 dil +50 FMs) X 2 for the comparison.

Kirksplat, is "Gladiator Rumble" a foundry mission?