Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Are Consoles Stackable? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=503181)

glasswords 01-02-2013 09:52 AM

Are Consoles Stackable?

Okay, here are a couple questions that I've had for a while and I haven't been able to find an answer to. With no DPS meter available I'm having a hard time telling from general play.

Can you stack consoles?
Do two +25% Plasma Damage consoles = +50% plasma damage or is the second one negated?

Do the different PvE species have weapon type damage resistance?
(i.e. Species X has a built in resilience to Plasma damage)

It would be nice to see a sticky thread with these kind of questions and answers.

Thank you and Happy New Year!

kamiyama317 01-02-2013 10:24 AM

Weapon and Skill consoles (like phaser relays and flow capacitors) stack with no diminishing returns. This means three +30 consoles will give you a bonus of +90.

Defensive consoles like Neutronium Alloys and Field Generators give diminishing returns when you stack them. One console will give the full bonus. A second console will give a smaller bonus, a third console will give an even smaller bonus.

This is to prevent perfect tanks. If defensive consoles didn't have diminishing returns then someone could get a cruiser with 5 engineering consoles and fit 5 neutronium alloys and get 100% hull resistance against all damage.

This is also one reason why combat favors high DPS ships. A ship with more tactical consoles is just in general more useful in combat than a ship with fewer tactical consoles.

As far as I know, NPC's don't have any special damage resistances. Unless they use an ability like polarize hull or something that temporarily adds damage resistance. But I don't believe they use armor consoles. Again I'm not 100% sure on this.

glasswords 01-02-2013 11:38 AM

Thanks Kamiyama.

pokersmith1 01-02-2013 11:41 AM

All consoles stack with diminishing returns.

hanover2 01-02-2013 11:45 AM

It absolutely is diminishing returns if you look at the gains as a percentage of the total, rather than the base figure.

It would be nice if every console just stated it openly. "This console will increase your in-combat dual heavy cannon damage to x,xxx." "This console will increase your plasma resistance to xx%". It's all well and good to assess these things when you have them equipped on a mission, but that doesn't help you decide whether to pay someone's outrageous price for the stupid thing.

hereticknight085 01-02-2013 01:22 PM

Console stacking was explained in the past couple posts, but as for NPC damage resists, I have something to add.

Most NPCs have no damage resistance other than the usual 10-15% passive resists that EVERYONE has. There are a few exceptions, like the Jem'hadar NPCs tend to be a little tankier, but that's because they all use the Jem'hadar set, so they gain more passive resists, but there are some NPCs that have VERY high resistance to all damage. And those would be the Borg. As far as I can remember, it would seem that the Borg have at least a passive 25% resistance to all damage, energy and kinetic. The only reason I know this is because I hit a Borg npc, and I do X damage. Then I use the same weapon, same power settings, same range, same everything, smack another NPC and I do X + a little more. Probably should do more tests to confirm this.

baudl 01-02-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokersmith1 (Post 7323901)
All consoles stack with diminishing returns.

Quote:

It absolutely is diminishing returns if you look at the gains as a percentage of the total, rather than the base figure.

It would be nice if every console just stated it openly. "This console will increase your in-combat dual heavy cannon damage to x,xxx." "This console will increase your plasma resistance to xx%". It's all well and good to assess these things when you have them equipped on a mission, but that doesn't help you decide whether to pay someone's outrageous price for the stupid thing.
both are wrong, the second atleast gave an explanation, which is true, but has nothing to do with diminishing returns.

science and tac consoles stack without a diminishing return, but the tac consoles have a percentage value that counts always from the base dmg, which means that each console will add a certain number regardless of how many of the same consoles are already equipped.
If 25% phaser dmg adds 90 dmg to your phaser cannon, 4 consoles will add 360 dmg. Same goes for the turnrate console.

i can only asume that the 2 fellows above do not know the definition of deminishing returns

this will shed some light on resistance values aswell
i'm not 100% sure, but if you skilled dmg resistance via skilltree, the armor consoles you equip will give already less bonus. but as i said, not 100% sure.

*edit: well it does, just checked it ingame...neutronium armor (17.5) added only 11,1% to all energy resistances (which i skilled for 7 points = 11,8%+2%) and added 14.3% to the kinetic resistance (which i didn't skill, started at 2%)
so i asume either kinetic resistance scales differently, or the values from the skilltree are not ignored by the diminishing return.

hanover2 01-02-2013 01:38 PM

:rolleyes:

The percentage of increase over the total amount decreases with each console. So, it absolutely does diminish if you're looking at the percentage of the total.

baudl 01-02-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hanover2 (Post 7325611)
:rolleyes:

The percentage of increase over the total amount decreases with each console. So, it absolutely does diminish if you're looking at the percentage of the total.

and you call that a diminishing return? srsly?

lol, i just realized, what you suggest there means that anything that does not grow exponentially is/has a diminishing return!

ofcourse 4x 25% does not mean 100% more dmg, but again that is not a diminishing return

hereticknight085 01-02-2013 01:58 PM

diminishing returns

noun

1. any rate of profit, production, benefits, etc., that beyond a certain point fails to increase proportionately with added investment, effort, or skill.

2. Also called law of diminishing returns. Economics . the fact, often stated as a law or principle, that when any factor of production, as labor, is increased while other factors, as capital and land, are held constant in amount, the output per unit of the variable factor will eventually diminish.

Source.