Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   So.. the S7 complaints have died down? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=504771)

avarseir 01-04-2013 01:38 AM

So.. the S7 complaints have died down?
 
So, I'm sure many of us have hit T5 rep in either Rom/Omega by now (I hit T5 for both factions yesterday), coincidentally the complaints about S7 on forums have significantly died down.. what happened guys?? Keep em coming!! :D

But honestly, I'm kinda liking the way things are now as compared to the old system. With Cryptic returning the dils for STFs and actually allowing BNPs/Marks to drop more randomly from STF loot has pretty much made it better.

Now, I had a shot at the Reman/Romulan set too. I hated the vault and hated that it was the only way to earn datalogs.

Dils is still a problem tho.. but its a minor problem with plethora of ways of earning it, the issue is just the time taken to earn it.

I do hate seeing so many in Elite Omega/Maco though, it used to be "exclusive" and "elitist" gear, now its everywhere. But that is a selfish view and definitely not good for the game's greater community.

So.. anyone else still not happy with the way things are now? I'm happy and giving Cryptic thumbs up!

curs0r 01-04-2013 01:55 AM

Despite the inflammatory wording of the title for this thread I will reply to it. I still have a number of concerns. Refining cap still at 8k, I'd like the dilithium back to at least half what it used to be for dismissing doffs, the exchange is still a catastrophe, and others. Nothing major though. The changes made post-launch to S7 showed what I think most really wanted to see; that the devs do in fact respond to feedback. None of this has brought back the vast majority of my wayward fleetmates that quit out of boredom. A few have popped in, but they see the grinds, and usually leave again fairly quickly. It would appear that it gives plenty to do for those of us that are here anyway, but does not do a lot to entice people into returning and staying.

darkstarkirian 01-04-2013 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avarseir (Post 7349551)
So, I'm sure many of us have hit T5 rep in either Rom/Omega by now (I hit T5 for both factions yesterday), coincidentally the complaints about S7 on forums have significantly died down.. what happened guys?? Keep em coming!! :D

But honestly, I'm kinda liking the way things are now as compared to the old system. With Cryptic returning the dils for STFs and actually allowing BNPs/Marks to drop more randomly from STF loot has pretty much made it better.

Now, I had a shot at the Reman/Romulan set too. I hated the vault and hated that it was the only way to earn datalogs.

Dils is still a problem tho.. but its a minor problem with plethora of ways of earning it, the issue is just the time taken to earn it.

I do hate seeing so many in Elite Omega/Maco though, it used to be "exclusive" and "elitist" gear, now its everywhere. But that is a selfish view and definitely not good for the game's greater community.

So.. anyone else still not happy with the way things are now? I'm happy and giving Cryptic thumbs up!

Personally, I was happy with it the moment I tested it on Tribble.
A few days ago, I finished both Reps on my main, and have FINALLY finished the mk XII sets that hadn't been able to complete with the old system after a year of trying.
I have 4 more characters that will be finishing Reps within a week, also finishing their Mk XII sets and so on.
So, I am very happy with the Rep systems.

avarseir 01-04-2013 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curs0r (Post 7349681)
Despite the inflammatory wording of the title for this thread I will reply to it.

Its called ballyhooing. Its a journalism technique to "create an uproar" and invite people to post their views :)

curs0r 01-04-2013 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avarseir (Post 7349731)
Its called ballyhooing. Its a journalism technique to "create an uproar" and invite people to post their views :)

I think there's another word for that when done on a forum or chat room. w/e as long as you're pleased I guess.

stark2k 01-04-2013 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avarseir (Post 7349551)
So, I'm sure many of us have hit T5 rep in either Rom/Omega by now (I hit T5 for both factions yesterday), coincidentally the complaints about S7 on forums have significantly died down.. what happened guys?? Keep em coming!! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by curs0r (Post 7349681)
Despite the inflammatory wording of the title for this thread I will reply to it.


This ^ - I'll take a page from Poster curs0r

It is almost if you are enticing every Troller to hop on your train and ride the gravy train, instant Troll bait.

But I'll give you my reply:

Am I content with all the Season 7 Changes?

I still have issues with S7 in general, however; the Devs have made some effort to better the situation.

In regards to the Rep system:

Do I like it? No

What can I say, I am old school & despite the newly Rep system making it easier for 100% of the playerbase, the system still requires a cost & cheapens the status of endgame gear.

Typically in most MMO's endgame gear should be very difficult to come by - Take for example TERA; only one or two people out of the entire gaming community on the server has the complete endgame set of armor.

It should be a testament of your mettle, an accomplishment that you have endured, outwitted your foe, and that you have overcome impossible odds.

The Rep system just gives it away like a gift certificate with Dilithium cost to it.

To everyone's defense though, the nature of STO endgame was sadly implemented - it was suppose to be an endgame dungeon - but they made it into a slugfest where the Borg can instant kill you with invisible torps doing 9999999999999999999999 damage.

My hope is that Cryptic truly make another endgame dungeon that only a few can obtain the endgame gear - It should be a true and challenging dungeon, where one must outwit, gear up properly, and support one another with only one drop to be voted on.

make us a true Endgame dungeon for both space and Ground.

A New Mk XIII Set.

curs0r 01-04-2013 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stark2k (Post 7349791)
My hope is that Cryptic truly make another endgame dungeon that only a few can obtain the endgame gear - It should be a true and challenging dungeon, where one must outwit, gear up properly, and support one another with only one drop to be voted on.

make us a true Endgame dungeon for both space and Ground.

A New Mk XIII Set.

I like the way you think, but I'd like to see a combination solution to two things if they do that. Not only would it be a test of cunning, experience, and leadership for a seasoned player, but a leg-up to new players as well by way of sharing that expertise with them.

What I'd love to see for that is an academy system that allows low ranking players to queue for instructional missions that start at starfleet/kdf academy, and are led by a vice admiral/lieutenant general (or in the future higher) player that joins from another single-file FIFO queue. These would be small 15 minute missions with a low combat amount, and emphasizing logical puzzles that require a coordinated team to solve. The rewards for that could be dilithium, expertise, skill points, commendation xp, and so forth. Probably with a fixed maximum reward of each that diminishes over time to a certain minimum if the team does not complete the objective in 15 minutes.

For higher ranking players that complete the full range of instructor missions, that sort of set you mention might be made available. There's nothing I can think of that's harder in gaming than getting a random team to listen to instructions and cooperate. If a player can do that consistently, I think it would merit some distinction.

lolimpicard 01-04-2013 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stark2k (Post 7349791)
*snip*

Wait, it's you again! It's nothing personal but it seems our viewpoints commonly differ. :D

First: the Assimilated Universal Console would like to have a word with you about how much easier it is to obtain.
Or the 30.000 Dilithium and 1.500 Omega Marks (or so) to get a Mk XII ground set (say ~20 elite STFs + 2 days maxing dilithium), and not including costs and time to fill Reputation to Tier 4,
compared to sheer luck to get set pieces.

Yes, it commonly took people a mind numbing one week grind to finally get a complete set - some people finished a set within their first three eSTFs.
Compared to maximizing your Reputation to Tier 4 & getting the Dilithium + Marks.

What exactly makes any of this more elite than another way?
It's both utterly dumb and without merit.
If you got a set it wasn't because of skill.
It was because of random chance.

And random chance doesn't make anything "elite".

Some afterthoughts trying to be constructive:
If they wanted it to be skill based they should:
Track certain statistics (for example damage dealed, normalized on weapon/attack dps) during an elite ground STF (or comparably difficult 5-man mission) - then reward a set amount of marks (say 100) divided based on these statistic to the players: so more effective players get more of the marks.
As an additional reward add one uber-mark that only the one best person gets - and only this can be used to purchase the very best equipment.

Or something along those lines. It would need some complexity in the algorithm.

robeasom 01-04-2013 04:04 AM

While I am happy that the MX XII armour is now easier to get I am not happy that you have to pay for a reward you have unlocked and the amount of grind you have to do. I understand grinding is part of the MMO but grinding for the following
Romulan marks
Omega marks
Dilithium
Fleet marks
Seem to be to much grinding for a game with so little story content and a unfinished faction

cletusdeadman 01-04-2013 05:01 AM

I was under the impression that the point of the new reputation system was to get dillithium into the pricing matrix for STF rewards. The Season 7 increase in dill was to drive the price down so you needed more Zen to purchase an equal amount of dill, which STO is more than happy to sell you. With everybody wanting STF set, the dill would flow.

The unfair part from Cryptic was just spin as far as I can tell. Come on, a game design company came out and told you they created an unfair game system and this was better- and you bought that?!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:06 AM.