Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Shipyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Looking for Thoughts on Mk XII Space Weapons (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=507711)

haravikk 01-07-2013 09:11 AM

Looking for Thoughts on Mk XII Space Weapons

Okay, so I'm just waiting to unlock the Mk XII weapons for the Romulan reputation system and I'm wondering what people currently think about the Mk XII weapon landscape.

My fleet now has advanced weapons, which seems enticing but although they have three bonuses on them, they're really all [Dmg]x3 weapons with a single bonus, which strikes me as strange. Don't get me wrong, [Dmg]x3 is interesting, but it means I can only get the single +2% critical chance or accuracy, whereas personally I'd prefer [CrtH]x2. Is the increased damage really worth it, or do people prefer something else?

Since I'm aiming for the Romulan Singularity Harness I'm focusing on Plasma energy weapons, since the harness 2-set bonus gives +7.6% damage bonus. Their Mk XII weapons seem intriguing as they're basically plasma weapons with both the DoT effect and the disruptor debuff to damage resistance. Though of course these only offer two bonuses in addition to the damage debuff, but it would mean I could still get [CrtH]x2 if I wanted. The downside of course being that they cost twice as much dilithium since they're not subsidised by Romulan Marks in any way.

So I'm curious to know what people think are better; fleet advanced mk xii plasma weapons, or romulan mk xii unlockables? Or is it better to just grind energy credits and hurl them at the exchange?

As a side note though, do the romulan plasma weapons look any different when firing to regular plasma weapons? My main gripe with plasma is that the dual heavy cannons look very weedy compared to other dual heavy cannon shots, and aren't that distinguishable from regular cannon/turret fire, visually of course.

Oh, I should mention I only play PvE, so I'm not too worried about PvP performance.

emperordeslok 01-07-2013 09:18 AM

From a modifier standpoint you're not going to beat the romulan plasma If you're comparing it to fleet gear, from a damage output standpoint [acc]x2 on the romulan weapons will be more effective than [dmg]x3 since you can't hurt what you can't hit, the order of effectiveness for modifiers is acc>crth>crtd>dmg . That all being said plasma is a special case, stf gear is common and has an extra 20% resist to it compared to other weapons, for pve the plasma wins, for pvp go buy some weapons on the exchange before fleet gear

haravikk 01-07-2013 12:17 PM

Is there a sweet spot to aim for? My ship's current bonus accuracy is 15%, which I assume means my base accuracy is 110%, which gives an... 80% or so accuracy against a moving target, that sound about right? With bonus critical severity against a stationary or very slow moving target?

In that case what seems better for PvE, [Acc]x2 or [Acc] [CrtH]?

emperordeslok 01-07-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haravikk (Post 7386081)
Is there a sweet spot to aim for? My ship's current bonus accuracy is 15%, which I assume means my base accuracy is 110%, which gives an... 80% or so accuracy against a moving target, that sound about right? With bonus critical severity against a stationary or very slow moving target?

In that case what seems better for PvE, [Acc]x2 or [Acc] [CrtH]?

For pve there should be very little difference between them, however your best course of action would be to go to the exchange and buy some cheap mk x rare weapons with those modifiers and evaluate them both through a few runs of the same mission using a parser like stoics

If you were to pvp it would be acc x 2 no contest.