Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Hrmmmm... (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=508961)

virusdancer 01-08-2013 05:24 PM

Hrmmmm...

First of all, a disclaimer: This is not accusation that anybody's cheating. It's not a complaint outside of it being a series of potential bugs. I have no problem dying - I've gotten pretty good at it...charging in against people that hopelessly outclass me or against numbers where it's suicidal. I find I've learned more in dying than in killing - taking the time to pay attention to how I die, how long it takes me to die in certain situations, reviewing the mistakes I made, what I could have and should have done differently...etc, etc, etc.

That being said, I've noticed a few things in Ker'rat recently (well, in the past couple of weeks).

1) Target of Target...not showing. There can be ten people going at it, you can target each of them, and all of them will show the target they are attacking. Except the one guy...and this is just one guy (no calling out the guy, don't even ask). He'll be flying around, guns blazing on target after target - with it never displaying his target.

I've seen the folks that blip it. Start a volley, no target, start another volley, etc, etc, etc - where their ToT is blipping. This guy, though, it never shows his target. You can follow the cannon trail to see who he's shooting at, target them, and drop out the heals - but there's no simple grabbing his target as you might in every other case.

2) Target Buffs...not displaying. As I mentioned in the disclaimer, I tend to watch what somebody's doing as they kill me. I tend to fly tanky, so there's usually a wee bit of time where I can see such things. I've noticed a few folks that are obviously using DEM and CRF - yet, there's neither DEM nor CRF showing on their active buffs. Usually the only thing showing is the Elite Fleet resist stacks. Based on the cannon animation and hull disappearing while shields are up (with no kineticprocs registering) - well, yeah... it sure looks like CRF and DEM - but there's no buffs displayed on them for it.

3) Debuffs...not showing. Kind of touches on #2, and something I wonder if it's just a display bug; but it's one of the things that most noticeable with a sudden loss of turn rate while there's no debuff displayed. There's no visual effect on the ship either, but suddenly you've gone from the ship turning to a feeling just shy of being caught in EWP/Theta/Graviton/etc/etc/etc.

-=-=-=-

All three of these could simply be display bugs - since all three of them have those visual components. Has anybody else noticed anything along these lines? Is there a thread out there on stuff like this that I should have searched for before posting this?

edit: couple of typos

thissler 01-08-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by virusdancer (Post 7403271)
First of all, a disclaimer: This is not accusation that anybody's cheating. It's not a complaint outside of it being a series of potential bugs. I have no problem dying - I've gotten pretty good at it...charging in against people that hopelessly outclass me or against numbers where it's suicidal. I find I've learned more in dying than in killing - taking the time to pay attention to how I die, how long it takes me to die in certain situations, reviewing the mistakes I made, what I could have and should have done differently...etc, etc, etc.

That being said, I've noticed a few things in Ker'rat recently (well, in the past couple of weeks).

1) Target of Target...not showing. There can be ten people going at it, you can target each of them, and all of them will show the target they are attacking. Except the one guy...and this is just one guy (no calling out the guy, don't even ask). He'll be flying around, guns blazing on target after target - with it never displaying his target.

I've seen the folks that blip it. Start a volley, no target, start another volley, etc, etc, etc - where their ToT is blipping. This guy, though, it never shows his target. You can follow the cannon trail to see who he's shooting at, target them, and drop out the heals - but there's no simple grabbing his target as you might in every other case.

2) Target Buffs...not displaying. As I mentioned in the disclaimer, I tend to watch what somebody's doing as they kill me. I tend to fly tanky, so there's usually a wee bit of time where I can see such things. I've noticed a few folks that are obviously using DEM and CRF - yet, there's neither DEM nor CRF showing on their active buffs. Usually the only thing showing is the Elite Fleet resist stacks. Based on the cannon animation and hull disappearing while shields are up (with no kineticprocs registering) - well, yeah... it sure looks like CRF and DEM - but there's no buffs displayed on them for it.

3) Debuffs...not showing. Kind of touches on #2, and something I wonder if it's just a display bug; but it's one of the things that most noticeable with a sudden loss of turn rate while there's no debuff displayed. There's no visual effect on the ship either, but suddenly you've gone from the ship turning to a feeling just shy of being caught in EWP/Theta/Graviton/etc/etc/etc.

-=-=-=-

All three of these could simply be display bugs - since all three of them have those visual components. Has anybody else noticed anything along these lines? Is there a thread out there on stuff like this that I should have searched for before posting this?

edit: couple of typos

You don't need to have a target selected to be firing on someone. It's an option you can select.

If you don't rearrange your hud to move target of target away from your selected target then your targets targets occludes your targets buffs and debuffs.

If you've moved your HUD around so that you have some seperation between your target and targets target and you STILL don't see buffs, etc, something else may be the culprit.

And honest sometimes I get debuffed by something sticky (eww) right before I buy it, and really it isn't till I review the film in slow motion that I see what I missed in real time.

So get fraps. Have a ball and put your mind at ease my friend.

virusdancer 01-08-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thissler (Post 7404161)
You don't need to have a target selected to be firing on someone. It's an option you can select.

But that's the blippers, no? Where things like auto-attacks will continue even without a target?

Quote:

If you don't rearrange your hud to move target of target away from your selected target then your targets targets occludes your targets buffs and debuffs.

If you've moved your HUD around so that you have some seperation between your target and targets target and you STILL don't see buffs, etc, something else may be the culprit.

They weren't displaying enough buffs/debuffs for it to disappear under the ToT.

Quote:

And honest sometimes I get debuffed by something sticky (eww) right before I buy it, and really it isn't till I review the film in slow motion that I see what I missed in real time.

Usually there's enough time with things like that to do the NASCAR LTO thing while looking at buffs/debuffs and even popping open the ship window to see that the turn's gone to crap. With most debuffs/strips/etc - there's usually that "oh s..." moment as you pop. I mainly run my Engs in tanky ships. There's no way I would have noticed any of this on my Sci or Tac...when they pop, they - yep, they've already popped - lol.

Quote:

So get fraps. Have a ball and put your mind at ease my friend.

It mainly came up because of some discussions about visual issues that different folks have had. It's like the cursor thing - the way people have been talking about that, it seems like it's happening to them all sorts of ways. I only get that from the temporal stuff or from running Boldly They Rode. The invisitorp, invisible theta/EWP, etc, etc, etc - the particle insanity taking place with all the stuff we can spam on the screen.

Again, it's not a case of accusing anybody of anything - was just one of those hrmmm things - that I could have probably done better with the thread title. If not for a discussion last night/this morning in OPvP about visual glitches I wouldn't have made the post. Was just wondering if anybody else had experienced anything like that.

aquitaine985 01-08-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Target? Target! Target, target. Doctor? Target. Doctor, doctor!

omgrandalthor 01-09-2013 02:50 AM

the targeting one is just a simple settings i have mine set up so i dont need to have a target selected to shoot it seams to select the target that in closest to the middle of my screen where im looking to shoot at other than that i dunno.

the new shields make it super hard to see what they have on cause 3892748275043 resistance things all up in the way lol

virusdancer 01-09-2013 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omgrandalthor (Post 7406471)
the targeting one is just a simple settings i have mine set up so i dont need to have a target selected to shoot it seams to select the target that in closest to the middle of my screen where im looking to shoot at other than that i dunno.

Hrmmm, nothing logically stands out from the few options available for something like this.

Reset inactive tab target
Click unselects target
Only attack if target selected
Select auto target on attack
Assist target on attack
Never auto target objects
Never auto target pets
Target threatening enemies first
Select attacker if attacked
Tab select offscreen targets
Auto attack:
-None
-Toggle, change cancels
-Toggle, never cancels
-Toggle, non-combat cancels
-Maintain

Quote:

Originally Posted by omgrandalthor (Post 7406471)
the new shields make it super hard to see what they have on cause 3892748275043 resistance things all up in the way lol

Nah, they only had a combination of about 2-6 things on them. I'm wondering if it's a latency/desync thing - my hours are off, so there's a 4 hour period where my ISP makes me want to punch something (but "normal" folks are asleep then) and there's little I can do but chat in OPvP or do solo PvE things where the rubberbanding doesn't matter when you can play with your pinky toes. I never really paid attention to buffs/debuffs with that, but I did last night. Things were showing up late, not showing up, etc, etc, etc...

webdeath 01-09-2013 07:55 AM

There was a weird thing I noticed when I was out there...

Usually I tab to cycle through my targets, but one player I couldn't tab into. I'd have to constantly Manually target him/her with my mouse. Didn't happen with any other player. I could tab through them just fine. It was weird. And I can't explain it. :confused:

beary666sto 01-09-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by virusdancer (Post 7406981)
Hrmmm, nothing logically stands out from the few options available for something like this.

Reset inactive tab target
Click unselects target
Only attack if target selected
Select auto target on attack
Assist target on attack
Never auto target objects
Never auto target pets
Target threatening enemies first
Select attacker if attacked
Tab select offscreen targets
Auto attack:
-None
-Toggle, change cancels
-Toggle, never cancels
-Toggle, non-combat cancels
-Maintain

Nah, they only had a combination of about 2-6 things on them. I'm wondering if it's a latency/desync thing - my hours are off, so there's a 4 hour period where my ISP makes me want to punch something (but "normal" folks are asleep then) and there's little I can do but chat in OPvP or do solo PvE things where the rubberbanding doesn't matter when you can play with your pinky toes. I never really paid attention to buffs/debuffs with that, but I did last night. Things were showing up late, not showing up, etc, etc, etc...

I'm not sitting at my STO comp right now, but if I remember its:

Reset inactive tab target : Doesn't Matter
Click unselects target : Doesn't Matter
Only attack if target selected : No
Select auto target on attack : No
Assist target on attack : No
Never auto target objects : Doesn't matter
Never auto target pets : Doesn't Matter
Target threatening enemies first : Doesn't Matter (no idea how they decide this either)
Select attacker if attacked : No
Tab select offscreen targets : Doesn't matter
Auto attack:
-None
-Toggle, change cancels
-Toggle, never cancels : This
-Toggle, non-combat cancels : or This
-Maintain

If I'm not targetting anything and tap spacebar, I'll just blaze away at the nearest target that is on my screen

thissler 01-09-2013 09:01 AM

As posted, the "Only attack if target selected" being set to "No" is the one you're looking for.

If you haven't rearranged your hud, do so. That's how you know for sure. Honest. Real world stuff.

Get fraps and the free windows moviemaker. Review tape. Honest. Real world stuff.

You may be ENTIRELY correct in what you say. Would it hurt to check it? That's how you check it.

And the way I'm suggesting you don't need to rely on memory or faulty senses or the cat walking across the screen. You have a record.

How nice is that?