Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   Stealth Update? Invisible objects (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=510831)

chicochavez 01-10-2013 05:35 PM

Stealth Update? Invisible objects

so I went into the foundry today to update ST: Allegiance Part 2 as I got ANOTHER 1 star because someone can't seem to walk across a wide, straight bridge without falling off the side when I noticed a new set of items next to the invisible walls.

the invisible objects are cubes at 10, 20, 40, 100 and 1000ft which are non-collision. This means we now longer have to do the bottle trick to have built in map objects interactable. Already replaced two items on the last combat map of this mission (4028) with these, so if anyone wants to try and see how they work give it a shot.

zorbane 01-10-2013 06:24 PM

These have been in for a while lol

kirksplat 01-10-2013 06:45 PM

Yeah, I think maybe you learned bad tricks from my very old tutorials after we got those invisible objects like a year and a half ago.

chicochavez 01-10-2013 07:38 PM

Well.....I feel dumb now....though for some reason I never remembered seeing them before.

::throws a snowball at kriksplat:: and go update your tutorials! Next thing you know some poor sod is going to watch them and think they can actually test combat in the foundry....

ajstoner 01-10-2013 09:31 PM

What matters is that we have determined Kirksplat is to blame.

azurianstar 01-10-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirksplat (Post 7430161)
Yeah, I think maybe you learned bad tricks from my very old tutorials after we got those invisible objects like a year and a half ago.

Curious, why not pull the older tutorials since they are outdated?

nagorak 01-10-2013 11:16 PM

Yeah we've had invisible objects for a long time. They've been in for at least a year and a half because I used them when working on Dereliction Duty.

Is this why it seems like a lot of people are still using the martini glass trick? In my experience a 10 foot invisible object is usually fine except for in cases where the interact has to be absolutely pin-point accurate.

oldkirkfan 01-10-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajstoner (Post 7431581)
What matters is that we have determined Kirksplat is to blame.

I thought he was behind it...

ajstoner 01-11-2013 10:04 AM

Martini glasses are best for consoles and things like that where the character needs to be physically interacting with the object.

They are also very useful for optional dialogues, used in conjunction with triggers so you can have "thing 1 happened" and "thing 2 happened" chains.

markhawkman 01-11-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajstoner (Post 7438481)
Martini glasses are best for consoles and things like that where the character needs to be physically interacting with the object.

They are also very useful for optional dialogues, used in conjunction with triggers so you can have "thing 1 happened" and "thing 2 happened" chains.

I've noted that some of the other non-solid detail objects are great here too. If it's a smoking console, you can use the SMOKE(if you added it) as an interactable object. I did that in Darkness for all the console interacts. This was mainly because I was doing interacts for consoles that were built into the map. The base map had so many consoles already that adding my own would have made it too cluttered. I was adding enough OTHER stuff I had little room.