Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   star trek becoming real life (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=511801)

origcaptainquack 01-11-2013 04:18 PM

star trek becoming real life
 
here is an article about NASA building warp drive. looks like sto volcan ship.

http://io9.com/5963263/how-nasa-will...rst-warp-drive

daveyny 01-11-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by origcaptainquack (Post 7445381)
here is an article about NASA building warp drive. looks like sto volcan ship.

http://io9.com/5963263/how-nasa-will...rst-warp-drive

WOW :eek:

lolimpicard 01-11-2013 04:31 PM

They're "beginning with mostly theoretical research", yeah.
Most likely nothing will ever come of it.

ferowsi 01-11-2013 04:56 PM

Can't you just be excited that someone's working on it?

marcusdkane 01-11-2013 06:48 PM

At
Fraking
Last
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

lolimpicard 01-11-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferowsi (Post 7445951)
Can't you just be excited that someone's working on it?

No, sorry.
Of course that's my problem.
I'm fine with other people getting excited, and I neither belittle nor envy them.

I'm mostly expressing my disappointment at the original premise of "NASA building a warp drive" not turning out to be based in fact.

The theory is easy - like the quadriplegic Steven Hawking wrestling with black-hole science.
Put him toe-to-toe with a black hole and we shall see what happens. ;)

Hmm, I kinda like the idea of Steven Hawking turning into hawking radiation.

sollvax 01-12-2013 03:17 AM

Its not real

Nasa is not even working on space as such at the moment (they are conserving resources)

as for Mr Hawking what he doesn't realise is that is credibility is in the toilet since he did an advert for go compare

(plus of course his science is wonky)

scurry5 01-12-2013 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by origcaptainquack (Post 7445381)
looks like sto volcan ship.

Uhh....that's because it is a Vulcan ship image from CBS.

That aside, it's an interesting idea. However, given its current theoretical stage, it might end up getting delayed repeatedly just like nuclear fusion. As such, I wouldn't get my hopes up of this existing within our lifetimes.....unless any of you happen to work in this field.

Oh, yeah, and hopefully they can solve this problem too:
http://www.universetoday.com/93882/w...ller-downside/

mattjohnsonva 01-12-2013 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sollvax (Post 7450691)
Its not real

Nasa is not even working on space as such at the moment (they are conserving resources)

as for Mr Hawking what he doesn't realise is that is credibility is in the toilet since he did an advert for go compare

(plus of course his science is wonky)

Sollvax you do talk some complete bollox sometimes LOL

mattjohnsonva 01-12-2013 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scurry5 (Post 7450761)
Uhh....that's because it is a Vulcan ship image from CBS.

That aside, it's an interesting idea. However, given its current theoretical stage, it might end up getting delayed repeatedly just like nuclear fusion. As such, I wouldn't get my hopes up of this existing within our lifetimes.....unless any of you happen to work in this field.

Oh, yeah, and hopefully they can solve this problem too:
http://www.universetoday.com/93882/w...ller-downside/

Hmm a device at the front of the ship designed to move Eulerian particles out of the path of the approaching warp bubble. Perhaps we could call it s Deflector or something.... ;)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:01 AM.