Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   One Way to Improve Elite Ground STFs (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=516941)

olivia211 01-17-2013 06:03 AM

One Way to Improve Elite Ground STFs

Yesterday in three straight STF elite runs there were at least 2 people who had multiple injuries and did absolutely nothing to take care of them. The same thing happened to me about 45 minutes ago, only this time it was three people with injuries. One even complained about him hating the fact that he kept getting one-shotted.

I think I have thought of a way to help curb this behavior of either purposely neglecting your character's health and at the same time keeping a handful of AFKers / Botters out of STFs.

I say if you have 2 or more critical wounds, your character is considered disabled and you can no longer use them for ANY runs, ground or space, until you are healed up completely. I know some of you may think this is a little much, but what is the alternative? So many people have been against the kick function we've talked about so why not something like this? Each and every time I ask someone to heal themselves they either ignore me or have the same excuse: I forgot to go buy regens. I find that hard to believe when they came into the STF with the wounds. You could even take it a step further and not allow anyone with a wound of any sort into an STF until they heal up. That would get rid of the "I forgot" factor because the game would not allow you to forget.

Here is something even more extreme, but I still think it's a good idea. If you acquire 2 or more critical wounds in an elite STF, you do not get ANY rewards associated with its completion unless you heal yourself. Then you are eligible again. Again, this will get rid of most botters and the "I forgot" issue because they will only be hurting themselves at that point if they "forget."

I know some of you will say these measures are too much, but are they really? The idea here is to improve the quality of the gaming experience and when I am having to carry 2-3 people through an STF simply because they can't remember to take care of themselves, it really brings it down and in some cases I just log off. I have always tried to be patient, but I have been on my last nerve for the past week or so.

I really like this game, but WOW is looking more and more attractive to go back to because at least there you can kick a useless / incompetent team member.

savnoka 01-17-2013 06:49 AM

This would be good for elite runs , not really needed for stock STF runs though.

shadowwraith77 01-17-2013 06:52 AM

Technically they should force the player with too many injuries to become immobile or unable to function all together until some of the dmg is fixed or repaired. As for them not able to receive an award for completion is a bit to harsh as some people do forget or simply jump from one to another stf mission without much pause. 1 critical injury to me should immobilize you while 2 or more should make it so as not to be able to function at all, majors and minors should affect performance drastically more than they do currently. As this will hurt groups do to players becoming rendered useless at times, it will also discourage a good number of people who don't figure they need bother with regens to start carrying them.

brigadooom 01-17-2013 06:54 AM

I kind of like the idea, but it would burn those of us who judiciously heal ourselves in STFs but who simply run out of regens towards the end (for example those of us in Hive Ground having to constantly run out of cover from the corners to rez the one guy who likes to stand and fight in the middle for no good reason).

Maybe instead they should reimagine the regenerator idea, and make them rewards for having mastered STFs on normal - complete every STF, with all optionals, on normal and you're the rewarded with 3 permanent regenerators, minor, major, critical, and you're then finally allowed into Elite STFs. As well as knowing how the STF works, you have no excuse to forget or be incapable of healing up. Then the number of injuries you have at the end of the STF would subtract from your dilithium reward or something.

rachelj88 01-17-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brigadooom (Post 7517961)
Maybe instead they should reimagine the regenerator idea, and make them rewards for having mastered STFs on normal - complete every STF, with all optionals, on normal and you're the rewarded with 3 permanent regenerators, minor, major, critical, and you're then finally allowed into Elite STFs. As well as knowing how the STF works, you have no excuse to forget or be incapable of healing up. Then the number of injuries you have at the end of the STF would subtract from your dilithium reward or something.

This ^ ^

It is a very neat idea, this does actually prepare new players in being able to complete Elites, to complete the Optional on Infected for new players is quite a task.

I doubt that Cryptic would impliment it, even the Original Post by Olivia is a good idea, I'm normally againsts players asking for limitations to Elite STF's and adding in kick buttons and AFK timers is sometimes just not the way to go about it.

Olivia will know what I'm talking about when you join a team and the entire team just kicks you... no reason... WoW maybe a fun game but the kick button can be abused by a team who just don't feel your worthy.

Kick Button - Bad Idea (can be abused)
AFK auto kick - Bad Idea (some players do actually have genuine issues with being D/C'd, Real Life issues, pets, work(working from home)etc.
(I do admit that some players are AFK Farmers... but not everyone should be treated as such).

This Regens and healing is atleast a very neat Idea, if correctly added into the game, it would cure alot of things, mainly inexperience.

Unfortunately the sorry state in which STF's are currently in with them now just being a grindfest of annoyance, I'd of said the regen idea would of been superb back with the original STF's and the Previous STF's "the ones that gave EDC's".

its all Grind Grind Grind, players will do what they will :/ unfortunately.

RachelJ88

azniadeet 01-17-2013 07:16 AM

I like this too.

I'd also like to see minor regens added to the replicator.

zahinder 01-17-2013 07:43 AM

Let me say that I am thrilled the new rep system means I never, ever have to do one if those BLESSED ground elite STFs ever again.

My sympathies, guys.

shadowwraith77 01-17-2013 08:11 AM

I do because they screwed my accolades with the release of s7, so now the only uniform project i can get is the assimulated maco uniform. And until they fix it there is nothing i can do to resolve it outside of deleting that toon, and from what i hear their proposed idea is to simply erase those accomplishments and make you have to do them all over again.

marc8219 01-17-2013 08:40 AM

Its not just a ground problem, I see this all he time in elite space and ground. Sadly many players simply ignore the tutorial which explains injuries on ground and ship damage on space and how to heal them for free at ESD or Qonos, or by using regenerators.

I ended up in an elite a few days ago where 2 of the players both had 10+ injuries, many of them critical. Seeing as its impossible to do elite ground with a 3 man pug the rest of us tried to ask them to heal their injuries, they were ignoring chat so we all left and ended up with penalties.

It was even worse in space yesterday, I had a guy with 17 damage on his ship, around 10 of it critical.

arcademaster 01-17-2013 08:48 AM

They should really put a roadblock in there somewhere. Just don't let any players that aren't fully healed up queue for any STF.

1) It doesn't negatively impact good players in any way

2) At the very least, it makes the bad sheep realize that injuries exist

3) It won't ruin already ongoing runs as they'll only be punished for the next run

I don't see any possible downsides.