Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   How about them Insignificant Species? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=516961)

flash525 01-17-2013 06:49 AM

How about them Insignificant Species?
 
The Son'a, the Tzenkethi, the Sheliak,

... .. .

I'm sure there are countless more species that played a minor part in the show (either via mention or sight) that are considered on par to other major factions of the Alpha Quadrant. Granted the Son'a aren't exactly a threat, but both the Tzenkethi and Sheliak were feared somewhat.

Would be nice to have some encounters with some of these guys instead of 'alien' designs. I was watching a DS9 episode yesterday (where Odo kills a Founder); the Tzenkethi were mentioned and it was hinted that they had fangs (thus they're either Cat-like or Lizard-like and not the traditional humanoid). The Sheliak (if I'm not mistaken) are crystal-based. Could there be some history between them and the Tholian?

I can't think of other powerful (but hardly seen) races right now. But still, how about it?

voyagerfan9751 01-17-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash525 (Post 7517851)
The Son'a, the Tzenkethi, the Sheliak,

... .. .

I'm sure there are countless more species that played a minor part in the show (either via mention or sight) that are considered on par to other major factions of the Alpha Quadrant. Granted the Son'a aren't exactly a threat, but both the Tzenkethi and Sheliak were feared somewhat.

Would be nice to have some encounters with some of these guys instead of 'alien' designs. I was watching a DS9 episode yesterday (where Odo kills a Founder); the Tzenkethi were mentioned and it was hinted that they had fangs (thus they're either Cat-like or Lizard-like and not the traditional humanoid). The Sheliak (if I'm not mistaken) are crystal-based. Could there be some history between them and the Tholian?

I can't think of other powerful (but hardly seen) races right now. But still, how about it?

Are we talking Player Species or just NPCs. If we are talking Player, while I am not against minor species as a concept, you have to have a justification for the species. Technically this is true of major species up to the Romulans and Cardassians. There has to be a reason to devote the resources and man hours to create a Playable character of a species. If only one or two people or heck even ten or 20 that isn't a very good number for the amount of work needed, especially if we are talking C-store species.

Obviously this isn't a problem for Romulans and Cardassians, The continued outcry for a whole faction based on these shows a level of desire that clearly means lots of people want to play as that species. But I am not sure about some of the minor species.

Now, if we are talking NPC/enemy characters. That is a whole different story. I say, if you can fit them in the overall storyline, go for it.

ilanis 01-17-2013 08:37 AM

Obviously, they would probably develop new canon species in the next years, when they find a good way to incorporate them in the story, like Acamarians in s7 and other races mentionned as possibilities by the devs.

About your propositions :
* The Son'a seem no longer a threat after "ST: Insurrection"
* The Sheliaks are xenophobic and limit contact with Fed. We have only seen some kind of form for them. Bureaucratics and legal experts, the only opportunity to put them in is to participate in negociations for a new treaty for thousand of hours, enjoy ;)
* The Tzenkethi : In fact, they are in the game since a while ;) Tzenkethi were intended to be 'the Kzinti' (from TAS: "The Slaver Weapon") But due to legal issues about the Kzintis (part of "Known Space" universe by Larry Niven), they were renamed Tzenkethi in DS9... and Fesaran in STO

nixboox 01-17-2013 09:22 AM

Not all those species that were encountered are members of the Federation, of course.

I would love to see the Sheliak join the Federation - they were one of the most powerful races in the Alpha Quadrant.

It would be nice if more races were allowed to join the Federation, but even just being able to go to their worlds and visit them would be acceptable too.

azniadeet 01-17-2013 09:41 AM

I'm a big proponent of seeing more Sheliak. They have the potential to be a great enemy faction.

markhawkman 01-17-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilanis (Post 7519371)
Obviously, they would probably develop new canon species in the next years, when they find a good way to incorporate them in the story, like Acamarians in s7 and other races mentionned as possibilities by the devs.

About your propositions :
* The Son'a seem no longer a threat after "ST: Insurrection"
* The Sheliaks are xenophobic and limit contact with Fed. We have only seen some kind of form for them. Bureaucratics and legal experts, the only opportunity to put them in is to participate in negociations for a new treaty for thousand of hours, enjoy ;)
* The Tzenkethi : In fact, they are in the game since a while ;) Tzenkethi were intended to be 'the Kzinti' (from TAS: "The Slaver Weapon") But due to legal issues about the Kzintis (part of "Known Space" universe by Larry Niven), they were renamed Tzenkethi in DS9... and Fesaran in STO

That bit about the Tzenkethi is an urban legend. The guy who created them said he was actually planning for them to be a reptilian race. In the Typhon pact books they're said to be bioluminescent (humanoids).

The Sheliak are an intresting race all right.... It'd be really cool to see their point of view on the current political situation. They see humanoids as inherior life forms, so it'd be interesting to see what they think of the Tholians, Borg, Undine, and Iconians.

flash525 01-17-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voyagerfan9751 (Post 7518881)
Now, if we are talking NPC/enemy characters. That is a whole different story. I say, if you can fit them in the overall storyline, go for it.

This was for NPC discussion, I should have been more specific, but yeah, actual playable races should next be the Romulans followed potentially by the Cardassians, though I'll settle for one or the other (failing that, a mix of the two).

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilanis (Post 7519371)
* The Son'a seem no longer a threat after "ST: Insurrection"
* The Sheliaks are xenophobic and limit contact with Fed. We have only seen some kind of form for them.

The Son'a amd Sheliak may not be a threat to the Federation, but they can still be a threat to the KDF. Besides, I'm not talking about a fully-fledged story, just something different to fight against instead of random aliens in freighter-looking starships.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilanis (Post 7519371)
* The Tzenkethi : In fact, they are in the game since a while ;) Tzenkethi were intended to be 'the Kzinti' (from TAS: "The Slaver Weapon") But due to legal issues about the Kzintis (part of "Known Space" universe by Larry Niven), they were renamed Tzenkethi in DS9... and Fesaran in STO

Yeah, I knew about the first bit there, but why on earth have the Tzenkethi been renamed to Fesaran for?

Quote:

Originally Posted by markhawkman (Post 7521591)
The Sheliak are an intresting race all right.... It'd be really cool to see their point of view on the current political situation. They see humanoids as inherior life forms, so it'd be interesting to see what they think of the Tholians, Borg, Undine, and Iconians.

Last I checked, the Borg were still humanoid. ;)

markhawkman 01-17-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Last I checked, the Borg were still humanoid.
True, but they have several traits that make them very different from ordinary humanoids.
Quote:

Yeah, I knew about the first bit there, but why on earth have the Tzenkethi been renamed to Fesaran for?
They weren't. The idea that Tzenkethi = Kzinti is an urban legend.

zulisvel 01-17-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilanis (Post 7519371)
* The Son'a seem no longer a threat after "ST: Insurrection"

The Son'a were still important enough to the Dominion's war efforts after the events of Insurrection that towards the end of the war Dominion ships were sent to reinforce one of their colonies producing ketracel-white.

On the other hand, the Insurrection supplemental materials stated that the Son'a of their adopted homeworld had become sterile in an attempt to artificially recreate the metaphasic radiation of the Ba'ku homeworld. So 40+ years and a vastly diminishing pool of individuals capable of reproducing means the remaining Son'a are screwed.

However, Son'a also have their conquered species the Ellora and Tarlac. Creating the interesting situation of the conquerors potentially being overthrown without the conquered having to lift a finger.

So potentially you have a cultural group calling themselves "Son'a," flying those sweet looking Son'a ships, but populated by the unique looking Ellora and Tarlac.

markhawkman 01-17-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulisvel (Post 7522311)
The Son'a were still important enough to the Dominion's war efforts after the events of Insurrection that towards the end of the war Dominion ships were sent to reinforce one of their colonies producing ketracel-white.

On the other hand, the Insurrection supplemental materials stated that the Son'a of their adopted homeworld had become sterile in an attempt to artificially recreate the metaphasic radiation of the Ba'ku homeworld. So 40+ years and a vastly diminishing pool of individuals capable of reproducing means the remaining Son'a are screwed.

However, Son'a also have their conquered species the Ellora and Tarlac. Creating the interesting situation of the conquerors potentially being overthrown without the conquered having to lift a finger.

So potentially you have a cultural group calling themselves "Son'a," flying those sweet looking Son'a ships, but populated by the unique looking Ellora and Tarlac.

Well... it's not clear when Insurrection happens in the DS9 timeline. I would guess either towards the end or after the end of the Dominion war. We know this because Riker was able to look up in a historical database on the Ent-E what the Son'a did in the Dominion war.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:33 AM.