Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Windows and General: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=401)
-   -   Why did it start to lag at 50? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=518861)

mercurythefirst 01-18-2013 03:55 PM

Why did it start to lag at 50?

So, I've been playing this game at maximum everything since I got it. Surely, the tech behind this game is so aged that it should never come close to troubling my GTX 470 (equal to 560Ti)

However, I always saw that my 470 was creeping eerily close towards top temperature even when idling in space dock. I opened up the card and re-applied thermal paste and got rid of the dust which made absolutely zero difference.

It never actually reached top temperature though, so I let it slide.

I've stumbled across a problem though.

Throughout my journey to vice admiral rank, I've done maybe 50 Starbase 24 runs. Never had an ounce of lag. In fact, I'm confident I've never even been below 60 FPS in this game.

Yet, suddenly, as I turn 50, I'm suddenly getting noticeable slow-downs (probably to around 40 FPS - adaptive Vsync, so it's not a halving) at random times in Starbase 24. It seems to be happening due to the amount of torpedoes that are loose in the zone.

It's a common mistake from inexperienced developers to make certain projectiles too GPU-intensive, and this seems to be one of those cases.

In addition, I can tell fairly easily that STO is not using nearly enough CPU power. It seems STO was developed with the idea that GPU technology would be evolving at a faster rate than CPU technology, which is an assumption that has been thoroughly pummeled to a pulp by Intel's strides in recent years.

My CPU, an overclocked to 5.06 Ghz Intel i5-3570K, should theoretically deliver enough geometry calculations to handle these projectile draws and trajectories with incredible ease, yet this rather crude game is not applying itself to take advantage of that. (In fact, the most cores it ever used was 2.)

I think, now that STO has been saved from oblivion and given a cash injection despite it's original failure, Cryptic should strive to correct their original errors in assumption to drive the technology behind the game towards an acceptable level.

Because, even if people won't be able to sue anyone here because of their thermal paste drying up at an alarming rate compared to other games, Cryptic's integrity - I hope - is of the calibre to take responsibility for their actions.

neoakiraii 01-18-2013 04:02 PM

Can someone take this one, I'm tired of the I drive a corvette rig, so it must not be me thread. :D

mercurythefirst 01-18-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neoakiraii (Post 7542751)
Can someone take this one, I'm tired of the I drive a corvette rig, so it must not be me thread. :D

A corvette rig? Surely, if you are trying to draw parallells towards cars I would expect better. Even if this particular rig is nowhere near top spec at the moment. In fact my GPU is quite aged. It is basically a hot-running 560Ti, so I'm well aware I need to upgrade my GPU.

I think you will find, that if you actually apply reading comprehension, that I am in fact referring to this game's inability of taking advantage of processor power, and offloading a much too heavy burden on the GPU to what is now considered industry standard.

This is coming from a game developer. I am not some troll sitting in a chair huffing and puffing at this game's makers. I am simply trying to help.

This game is far too new to be operating at this crude level. Too think it was originally designed to be a subscription service tells me someone did not do their job of quality assurance.

jennyluve 01-19-2013 12:28 AM

Hello there!

I've tested my comp out (which is a dual processor) and elected to test it out with STO centralized on one core whilst the rest of whatever runs on the the other. This caused a considerable slowdown and choppy response from the game. I had to close down and reset everything to run on both cores which brought it back to normal. It honestly sounds like you've done the same. Please forgive me if that's not the case and I'd be happy to continue to search for a solution but truthfully, 60fps is still pretty good and it would sound as if you're trying to compare apples to oranges.

mercurythefirst 01-19-2013 02:28 AM

I have been running STO normally, using two cores as is it's default. I assure you, nothing changed in my configuration between then and now. It's simply a change in how many torpedoes are being used by the players in the zone.

lewstelamon01 01-19-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercurythefirst (Post 7542881)
A corvette rig? Surely, if you are trying to draw parallells towards cars I would expect better. Even if this particular rig is nowhere near top spec at the moment. In fact my GPU is quite aged. It is basically a hot-running 560Ti, so I'm well aware I need to upgrade my GPU.

I think you will find, that if you actually apply reading comprehension, that I am in fact referring to this game's inability of taking advantage of processor power, and offloading a much too heavy burden on the GPU to what is now considered industry standard.

This is coming from a game developer. I am not some troll sitting in a chair huffing and puffing at this game's makers. I am simply trying to help.

This game is far too new to be operating at this crude level. Too think it was originally designed to be a subscription service tells me someone did not do their job of quality assurance.

Trouble is, we're used to dealing with the aforementioned "huffers and puffers" in this forum. Also, we can't assume that EVERYONE has some sort of developer/tech experience, as many don't reveal that unless they're defending themselves against a comment such as the one this post was defending against.

To summarize: Don't take it personally. We tend to respond largely according to what we've seen so many times, and unfortunately we've heard the argument of "I have this uber rig so it can't be MY problem" way too many times from people who haven't the slighest clue what they're talking about.

Some posters know their stuff. Others wouldn't know their stuff if you googled it for them.

johnmidnight2160 01-19-2013 06:38 PM

Can you post your WHEN, and WHATs?

I'll disregard in making assumptions of you, despite the fact you made assumptions yourself.

WHEN does the lag occur?
WHAT are you doing?
WHAT is your computer doing?

More than one way to lag a game.

For Referance:
I played STO with a GeForce 260 Stock, Four gigs DDR800 RAM that OC to 1333 under load, and a Intel E8500 Stock. Never had lag. Only when I played the 20 man Fleet Events.
Running a Q9600, and a GeForce 560 Ti 448

I never concern myself about the temperatures of my rig. If my alarms didn't go off, things are fine.

phantomeight 01-19-2013 08:27 PM

I actually have an MSI 560 Ti 2GB with 8GB of Ram and a Phenom II quad core...

Everything is set to max..... I am standing at the exchange in the Fed Academy,
  • MSI Afterburner shows 55% to 68% GPU usage
  • Task Manger shows ~50 to high 60's CPU usage
  • /Showfps 1 is reporting 47.11 FPS, I got 45 50ish floating outside ESD.

So I am bit skeptical of getting 60 FPS especially in combat. Also, any game experiences slow downs when a massive amount of spam is introduced, I don't care what you say. Getting to max lvl open's up a world of $#!^ as far as abilities that spam a bunch of spam. The Klinks in SB24 love isometric charge as well as the abundance of fighters that you can't even see half the time unless you are spec'd high in sensors

Also, its easy for a game to make your card generate heat without stressing it. I had to set the frame limiter to 60 because if I walked away and got auto logged out, the log in screen would cycle at 130 140 FPS, bringing the GPU to full usage which would bring my card up to 200c yeah 200... Actually I ran my MSI at 200 for a while when one of the fans died and the other barely spun. I had it in a case with poor airflow... Still ran for weeks though it would throttle itself at 199-200c. Currently it has two 60mm fans zip tied to the heat sink and plugged into the Mobo and it's back in my Lian-Li at a nice 60c