Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   The BIG PITCH: Trait Overhaul, Species Respec, Species Reputations -- ALL IN ONE (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=526161)

stoleviathan99 01-25-2013 02:52 PM

The BIG PITCH: Trait Overhaul, Species Respec, Species Reputations -- ALL IN ONE
 
So here's the core idea.

1) The poison pill of this proposal: traits get removed.

2) All species get a reputation. The old traits become optional passive unlocks at various tiers of the reputation.

3) You get to start out maxed with your species of choice at login. Additionally, people who own the Joined Trill, Caitian, Ferasan, and Liberated Borg unlocks are automatically maxed with those species factions.

4) You earn species reputation points DIRECTLY whenever you complete a mission with a member of that species in your away team. This excludes Foundry missions, exploration missions, and certain short missions. No marks. No projects. Just a hidden passive on each BO that awards rep for that species. As soon as the "hail contact to complete mission" dialogue appears, you gain rep for all species in your away team, whether bridge officer or player. (This requires content team to manually add a reward trigger to all such missions and add a hidden passive to each BO that determines the reward type.)

5) Alternative projects exist for raising reputation with standard species of your faction. These require dilithium and commodities. Rep is also added to certain Duty Officer assignments. However, because rep is earned directly through mission completions, these are an alternative means of progression to actually earning rep through away team compositions.

6) Fleet CREDIT and Bioneural processors may be exchanged directly for any reputation via project. Fleet CREDIT (rather than Fleet MARKS) so as not to hinder fleet projects. Bioneural processors because you don't have a choice of away teams ESTFs and because BNP stack up more without a designated use whereas Omega Marks have much more continued lifespan. (This also encourages ESTF play.)

7) When you have maxed out a species reputation, you may purchase a species respec token to change species to that species for 1000 ZEN. This is referred to as a Captain Reassignment Token. This clears all costume data and includes a rename, while shifting the player's costume data to the species of choice. You may only respec to a species you have maxed relations with. The supporting text indicates that this is the process of transferring all of a captain's assignments to a captain of a friendly species. This does not alter reputation or traits (because traits are now simply reputation passives).

Side notes:

- All species at character creation start with their home species maxed out and one additional species half-complete. For example, a human starts with maxed human rep and 50% done with Vulcan rep. A Trill starts with maxed Trill rep and 50% done with Vulcan rep. A Bajoran starts with maxed Bajoran rep and 50% done with Human rep.

- This is retroactive for current player characters.

- What about special BOs such as Jem'Hadar, Reman, Breen, etc?

These species -- when part of an away team -- award Jem'Hadar, Reman, Breen, etc. species rep, which may enable a Captain Reassignment to these species when complete. However, this form of reputation will be acquired much more slowly as there are no DOff assignments or projects that will advance reputation with these species and you can fill fewer away team slots with members of these species.

- What about androids and Liberated Borg?

CBS has vetoed player captain androids and Liberated Borg remain a lifer exclusive perk. As such, the Amazon Liberated Borg BO and androids award BYNARS reputation, with supporting text to indicate that Bynars have asked Captains to study the computing and operational systems of certain cybernetic and artificial lifeforms.


- What other perks does reputation for a species provide?

Tier 1 of a species rep allows requisition projects to be launched for common quality Duty Officers of a species. A project also exists for bridge officers. This is an addition to the selection of one species passive ground trait, which is the award for Tier 1.

Tier 2 of a species rep allows requisition projects to be launched for uncommon quality Duty Officers of a species. A project also exists for bridge officers. This is an addition to the selection of one species passive space trait, which is the award for Tier 2.

Tier 3 of a species rep allows requisition projects to be launched for rare quality Duty Officers of a species. A project also exists for bridge officers. This is an addition to the selection of one species passive ground trait, which is the award for Tier 3.

Tier 4 of a species rep allows requisition projects to be launched for very rare quality Duty Officers of a species. A project also exists for bridge officers.This is an addition to the selection of one species passive space trait, which is the award for Tier 4.

Tier 5 of a species rep allows requisition projects to be launched for ultra rare quality Duty Officers of a species. A project also exists for bridge officers. A highly expensive project exists for photonic replicas of famous historical members of that species. (Space Lincoln, ahoy!) This is an addition to the selection of TWO species ACTIVE GROUND traits, which is the award for Tier 5.

Additional projects may include species hangar pets, specialty combadges, weapons, and reinforcement consumables.

Thoughts? Feedback?

diogene0 01-25-2013 03:12 PM

Even if i like complexity, it's going really too far. I think it's time for you to get back to Earth. :D

squidheadjax 01-25-2013 03:26 PM

I'm not sanguine about exotic species requiring a leveled-up character already in place to be swapped out. Perhaps the reward with them could be access to purchase EITHER a re-species (if, say, you built an Alien as a placeholder to work towards the exotic) or a token to spend on creating one (much like CO's freeform slot).

Other than that... well, I like it because it adds some flexibility and something to work towards over the course of normal types of play - as opposed to diverting time specifically just to grind. But I doubt that, even if they took the core structural idea, it would get implemented as anything other than another ridiculously deep dilithium sink.

centersolace 01-25-2013 03:32 PM

I do think it's an interesting idea.....

.... for a different video game. If I want to play as a specific race, I should be able to play it right out of the box.

squidheadjax 01-25-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by centersolace (Post 7648461)
I do think it's an interesting idea.....

.... for a different video game. If I want to play as a specific race, I should be able to play it right out of the box.

This is an overlay on the original system. It won't shrink anyone's current library of available species. Its primary focus is adding the ability to re-trait/re-species some people have been asking for since the game started. And then it goes way beyond that, but hey, think big.

johhanne 01-25-2013 03:58 PM

My only problem is if you are excluding the foundry what other missions exist to take your BOs on that you would typically do at end game - stf doesn't use BOs, neither do fleet actions, or the various 'queues' for romulan and fleet marks.

Seems as though it would be limited to 'episode replay' of the levelling eps....... is that how you envisage it? Because I would want nothing less than to play the levelling missions again!

Jo

bloctoad 01-25-2013 04:58 PM

This could work but only if the captain specs were replaced and tied to the ship being commanded. Otherwise we have a new system of gameplay still tethered to a mostly senseless system of character specifications. The present system does little other than limit the player from commanding many of the ships in their personal fleet and discourages buying new ships from the store.

It is the ship that is required to be stealthy while the captain must have at least some predisposition toward stealth tactics to fully benefit from such an assignment. It is the ship that dons the additional hull plating relative to the size of its warp core not the captain.

In place of the present spec system, the trait system would function much like that of Elder Scrolls games. Your proficiencies and deficiencies governed by your career choice then determined by how you play the game rather than how you play determined by what specialization in which you place 6-9 ticks at a specific rank until you run out of ticks. Successful decloak and attack runs would naturally lead to greater proficiency in stealth based tactics and renown for expertise in such.

Also, since two reputation factions now exist in-game, reputations should they ever be expanded to represent a meaningful portion of the Star Trek universe must be mutually exclusive. Even in a universe as idealistic as Star Trek, one could not attain maximum positive reputation with every faction or group. Freelancer had a great example of this where successes and failures in any given mission always drew the ire of someone and sometimes opened new, unexpected reputation and mission opportunities relative to the outcome and mission accepted.

stoleviathan99 01-25-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johhanne (Post 7648811)
My only problem is if you are excluding the foundry what other missions exist to take your BOs on that you would typically do at end game - stf doesn't use BOs, neither do fleet actions, or the various 'queues' for romulan and fleet marks.

Seems as though it would be limited to 'episode replay' of the levelling eps....... is that how you envisage it? Because I would want nothing less than to play the levelling missions again!

Jo

Well, the tech I'm envisioning probably wouldn't be possible with the Foundry.

That said, fleet marks from Foundry missions could be used to progress your fleet and you could buy species rep of your choice with fleet credits.

So the Foundry and Fleet Actions aren't excluded, except to the extent that you couldn't technically track which BOs a person had for reward purposes. And the fleet marks turn into fleet credits and fleet credits can be used to buy rep of your choice.

stoleviathan99 01-25-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloctoad (Post 7649701)
This could work but only if the captain specs were replaced and tied to the ship being commanded. Otherwise we have a new system of gameplay still tethered to a mostly senseless system of character specifications. The present system does little other than limit the player from commanding many of the ships in their personal fleet and discourages buying new ships from the store.

It is the ship that is required to be stealthy while the captain must have at least some predisposition toward stealth tactics to fully benefit from such an assignment. It is the ship that dons the additional hull plating relative to the size of its warp core not the captain.

In place of the present spec system, the trait system would function much like that of Elder Scrolls games. Your proficiencies and deficiencies governed by your career choice then determined by how you play the game rather than how you play determined by what specialization in which you place 6-9 ticks at a specific rank until you run out of ticks. Successful decloak and attack runs would naturally lead to greater proficiency in stealth based tactics and renown for expertise in such.

Also, since two reputation factions now exist in-game, reputations should they ever be expanded to represent a meaningful portion of the Star Trek universe must be mutually exclusive. Even in a universe as idealistic as Star Trek, one could not attain maximum positive reputation with every faction or group. Freelancer had a great example of this where successes and failures in any given mission always drew the ire of someone and sometimes opened new, unexpected reputation and mission opportunities relative to the outcome and mission accepted.

These species reps are all effectively sub-reps of the Federation or KDF, not ALL species. With the exception of the rep exotic BOs provide and those reps would be something like "Gorn Federation Refugee" rep or "Ferengi Klingon Empire Loyalist" rep.

None of these species reps would represent relations with external powers but would solely be your level of esteem with a group of Federation or KE citizens.

bloctoad 01-25-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 (Post 7651351)
These species reps are all effectively sub-reps of the Federation or KDF, not ALL species. With the exception of the rep exotic BOs provide and those reps would be something like "Gorn Federation Refugee" rep or "Ferengi Klingon Empire Loyalist" rep.

None of these species reps would represent relations with external powers but would solely be your level of esteem with a group of Federation or KE citizens.

Except that is what we are missing. Where is the galactic notoriety? I should be able to visit a random planet for the first time and hear tales of my exploits or see the denizens cower in my shadow. Space is vast yet most of the systems in-game cannot be entered and those which can are either dead planets or mysteriously teeming with loitering, hostile enemies.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:03 AM.