Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   How do I import Foundry costumes into the main game? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=528381)

tylermaxwell 01-27-2013 06:13 PM

How do I import Foundry costumes into the main game?

This isn't a Foundry question per se (feel free to move the thread to the appropriate location if that is the case), but I thought someone who has more experience with the Foundry would have more knowledge in this matter.

I've been playing around with creating and exporting various costumes in my Foundry missions since the Import/Export costume features were introduced in Season 7, and now I want to import some of the costumes for a new character and bridge officers that I'm developing. Currently though, when I attempt to import the costumes in the main game costume editor, they do not show up as a costume choice. Looking at the files in my screenshot folder, I have noticed that costumes exported from the main game have an extra tag (viewable from a popup when you hover the mouse over the image file) that denotes the Species of the costume [ex. "Species:Sf_Human_Male" for a FED Human Male costume]; costumes exported from the Foundry do not have this particular tag. I am assuming that this represents a fundamental difference in how the game generates these costume files, and is the reason why importing Foundry costumes does not work for me, and neither does adding a Species tag manually to any costumes that I have exported from the Foundry.

My question is, has anyone successfully imported a Foundry costume to a character in the main game? If so, could you post how you altered the costumes files to make them compatible? If not, does anyone have an idea of why this kind of costume transfer might not be possible? Thanks in advance for mulling this over. :)

hippiejon 01-27-2013 07:12 PM

If you've already been porting them around foundry missions, then they are already in your screenshots folder.
In the tailor.
If the costume you have saved is a Human Male, any human male should be able to access it under saved costumes.
It is race and gender specific.

tylermaxwell 01-27-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hippiejon (Post 7674321)
If you've already been porting them around foundry missions, then they are already in your screenshots folder.
In the tailor.
If the costume you have saved is a Human Male, any human male should be able to access it under saved costumes.
It is race and gender specific.

That is exactly the problem. The Foundry costumes are already in my screenshots folder, so they should show up in the tailor in the main game; I should be able to import, say a Human Male Foundry character costume to a new Human Male character I'm making, but the Foundry-made costumes don't show up, only the regular costumes. This is the conundrum that I'm trying to wrap my head around.

markhawkman 01-27-2013 08:51 PM

double check to make sure you're not trying to load an offduty outfit to a non-offduty slot.

drogyn1701 01-27-2013 09:20 PM

This is a new feature that the original in-game costume creator wasn't built to work with, and how much you want to bet the devs never expected us to use it in this manner. I'd be surprised if it works properly in the reverse.

tylermaxwell 01-28-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markhawkman (Post 7675571)
double check to make sure you're not trying to load an offduty outfit to a non-offduty slot.

This seems to have produced a result of some sorts. :confused: I wasn't importing an Off-Duty outfit in this specific instance, but the costume I wanted did use a special unlocked uniform (the TNG one to be exact). I changed the uniform to a standard one, exported it, and the tailor's importer recognized it readily, snapshot and all, although the resulting imported costume defaulted all of the custom changes. At the very least though, the tailor recognizes the costume as that of a Human Male (probably due to the addition of a "Species:Sf_Human_Male" tag from the Foundry costume exporter...don't know how that happened). Thanks for the idea. Guess I'll just go back to UI screenshots and entering in everything manually for now though. :(

Update: Further experimentation with exporting Foundry characters of different races and genders reveals that the only Species tag generated on all of my costume files is "Species:Sf_Human_Male" for some reason. The separate Gender tab records accurately for the different costumes, but the Species tab produces the same erroneous result every time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drogyn1701 (Post 7676061)
I'd be surprised if it works properly in the reverse.

Actually, my experience so far with importing costumes from the main game into my foundry projects has been quite successful. I've already imported my primary character and a selection of BOffs with a few quirks (extra dropdowns showing up for costume options that aren't actually enabled in the Foundry), but the all character detail shows up intact.