Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Tips I wish I knew earlier (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=528901)

slick4science 01-28-2013 06:53 AM

Tips I wish I knew earlier

Hi all, just thought I'd pass on a few things I wish I had known earlier. First of all, setting weapons on autofire by right clicking each weapon till a green box appears around it. This seems obvious but I didnt know about it at first and it really opened up the combat side of the game for me. Second: Mines are awesome. They make so much more use in the rear than a torpedo does. Although this does depend on your playstyle: Mines really only work well if you like to get in close.

Now on to episodes. Personally I only really do the Klingon arc (Fed side) for the good starting equipment they provide. I found the other arcs too much hassle to bother with but then again, YOU might feel differently. If your rank is at least one higher than a given episode, you have the option to SKIP it. I use this function to do the episodes I thought were ok and ignored the rest.

As for voicechat with friends I would like to give a shout out to the player who posted about Raidcall (www.raidcall.com). I dont remember their name, sorry. I had been using Skype with a real life friend but Skype uses so much resources that it would crash STO. On the other hand, stuff like Ventrilo requires a server and you need to be "tech savvy" to understand the set up process. Raidcall is very much "plug and play" like Skype but uses a fraction of the resources Skype does.

And before anyone asks, I know STO has a built in voicechat but you need to either group or be in a Fleet to use it and neither of those was an option for us. Hope this helps someone enjoy this MMORPG better :)

rezking 01-28-2013 12:05 PM

Autofire should be activated by default imo...I didn't know about that feature until I got frustrated with only firing 2 DHC's instead of all 3 plus turrets.
I was looking at keybinding when an old video mentioned right-clicking to enable autofire.

:rolleyes:

That was mere weeks ago...

eradicator84 01-28-2013 06:26 PM

A tip I came across just last night, after playing this game for almost 3 years :)

When buying stuff from a vendor where you can only by 1 at a time type thing (say food via replicator), hold down CTRL and double click the item. Insta buys it. Saves the need for endlessly clicking OK dialogs.

daveyny 01-28-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eradicator84 (Post 7711561)
A tip I came across just last night, after playing this game for almost 3 years :)

When buying stuff from a vendor where you can only by 1 at a time type thing (say food via replicator), hold down CTRL and double click the item. Insta buys it. Saves the need for endlessly clicking OK dialogs.

I didn't know that one.

slick4science 01-29-2013 01:13 PM

Great tips guys :) Lets see if we can keep it going with others. Rezking I feel your pain

warpangel 02-02-2013 02:46 AM

Speaking of autofire, I notice there is now a "maintain" option that's supposed to autofire while I hold the fire button down, then stop when I release it. An excellent feature.

Too bad it doesn't actually work, and instead makes it impossible to stop shooting at all.

cpc2011a 02-03-2013 11:53 PM

Just found out about a nice tip last week.

While in the Khit space stf, when you blow the first gate and the mass of probes/ 2 spheres comes through, leave one sphere alive if possible and no more will come out of the gate.

jkstocbr 02-04-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Wow I did not know that one either :)

khayuung 02-04-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstocbr (Post 7874551)
Wow I did not know that one either :)

Holy hell this is an EUREKA moment.

*goes to supplying the Starbase 3 times faster*

litchy74 02-04-2013 02:15 AM

Quote:

Shame on me after a few years never known this, great tip. A few days ago would have been better after 250 torp I had to buy!