Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   ship aux power to cover lack of skills in sci tree (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=533061)

notapwefan 01-31-2013 01:08 AM

ship aux power to cover lack of skills in sci tree

So I am tac, and majority of my skills are in tac tree and then in engineering tree. The only place I spend my skills in sci tree are Starship Shield Systems.
Now this brings a question. Can I use Aux power to cover the lack of skills in sci tree if I want to use, say gravity well?

loverofwars 01-31-2013 01:32 AM

depends on what you want it to do. to hold an enemy in place it will hold some not all but will slow them down as for damage be about 400 so wont kill most things but will help. i dint bother with skills to improve gw but do have it and it does often work well for holding/slowing and definatly is fun seeing things go in reverse around it that you where not targeting with it
the best i can suggest is try it out see how it works for you its only a training/expertise and you can use cheap mirror science ships 80k i think on exchange to test or use the ship you had in mind the mirror suggestion is only if you have not bought the ship/got and dont wish to buy something not useful to you

twam 01-31-2013 02:14 AM

Aux power will modify these powers regardless, but won't make a very large difference when not specced. On a specced character without aux power these skills are weak too.

You can, however, just slot graviton (pull) or partice (damage) generators in your science slots to make up for lack of skill points. In a pinch, it can work, depending on your ship. There's also deflectors that can give +[prtg] or +[gra].

If you have, say, 3 science console slots, you can bump the skills in one of these fields to about 80-100 points without speccing in them. The question is whether it'll be worth the tradeoffs you'll be making in the process, but that's up to you :)

notapwefan 01-31-2013 04:03 AM

I had this Krenn destroyer sitting in my bank for quite sometime. Now, as far as I can tell, it lags a bit without sci powers. Hence, I decided to shoot my question here.

(sure, I can make it a "tactical fast cruiser" but then I wonder if it would really work)

twam 01-31-2013 04:39 AM

That one can slot 4 sci consoles, so that could make a huge difference.

If you slot 4 rare mk xi particle generators (total cost around 50k ec) you'll have 104 points in that skill. With full aux power, that'd make your grav wells hit for about 800-1k per tick, I think.

Slotting 4 gravitons will make it much harder to escape from. I'd suggest running 3 particle gens and 1 graviton generator, for best results :)

Or, if you'd like to try energy syhpon/tyken's rift, run flow capacitators. They have a similar point contribution.

So, with 4 well-chosen consoles you could definitely be as effective as a sci captain running, say, shield consoles, in those slots. It's just more work when picking skills, as you'll need to slot the appropriate consoles too. And you can't run field generators/shield regen consoles, but I tend to think these are redundant with a decent boff layout :)

notapwefan 01-31-2013 05:40 AM

Thanks my fellow warrior. I'll try this out.

cmdrskyfaller 02-01-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notapwefan (Post 7762141)
So I am tac, and majority of my skills are in tac tree and then in engineering tree. The only place I spend my skills in sci tree are Starship Shield Systems.
Now this brings a question. Can I use Aux power to cover the lack of skills in sci tree if I want to use, say gravity well?

It depends. Some sci skills do get a massive boost out of AUX compared to the boost they get from skill points.

Grav well performance is based on three things:

Aux Power
Particle skill
Graviton skill

Graviton only affects the tractor effect.
Particle affects the damage inflicted.
Aux power massively increases the damage inflicted.

Since grav well's tractor effect is so weak even at 9 skill points+uberstacked equipment bonus there is no point at all in bothering to spend points in it.

Particle skill at 9 + max aux gives you great damage... but ONLY if the target is at the very center of the anomaly. Since the tractor effect is so freaking weak this never applies for more than 1 tick.

So, for grav well, AUX will only pump damage up to decent levels IF you manage to hold the target down (tractor beam). Otherwise its nothing more than a weak tool to bunch NPC's into one location for AOE weapon spamming.

AUX boosts heals tremendously... boosts the duration of sensor jams (useless since one hit from anything breaks it anyway) and increases the damage range of feedback pulse and any other direct damage sci ability.

However, overall, sci abilities are so useless now its not worth it for anything other than heals.