Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   High end gear on a low end ship (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=534801)

twg042370 01-31-2013 05:49 PM

High end gear on a low end ship

So I was thinking of taking my purple MK XII thingies and sticking as many as I can on something like a Connie and seeing how long I last doing Tau Dewa patrols.

Thus I have questions;

Who has done something similar? Under what circumstances? How did it work out for you?

milner62 01-31-2013 06:07 PM

I stuffed Mk XII gear on my NX along with quad cannons up front and she packed quite a punch for a NX but her low hull and limited abilities makes her a wet paperbag when it comes to strength.

I am or was till internet was cancled, working out trickling down gear from my personal flagship to older ships as I got upgraded gear for her. The better gear does help the lower tier ships but its all wasted effort in my opinion considering your abilities are limited and can't use tank style buff setups. But its still fun to do and put the ship up against stinger enemies if your seeking a challenge like I do.

aeolusdallas 01-31-2013 06:20 PM

For most PVE almost any ship with good gear will work. It will be more difficult and you will lose high end BOFF abilities but it can be fun.

weylandjuarez 01-31-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twg042370 (Post 7804371)
So I was thinking of taking my purple MK XII thingies and sticking as many as I can on something like a Connie and seeing how long I last doing Tau Dewa patrols.

Thus I have questions;

Who has done something similar? Under what circumstances? How did it work out for you?

I've done Khitomer and Infected on Normal in an Oberth (with a team in Tier 1 ships) - it was a lot of fun. I've also done Infected Elite in an Exeter Constitution Refit ;)

farmallm 01-31-2013 06:39 PM

I did the same a few months back to play around. To see what happens. I loaded my Connie Refit and headed out. Went to do the explore 3 systems in the nearest cluster. I did well on 1 set of fights. They was long but I managed to take out the ships. The next one was a Romulan one. I barely made it through until I got the Warbird at the end. I got him down to 1/2 health a few times before giving up. Just not enough hull and dps to down it.

tomin8r 01-31-2013 06:41 PM

I frequently run ISE in my Exeter. Great fun, until some brat starts complaining about my captain not being in a Tier 7 Uberscort.

syberghost 01-31-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twg042370 (Post 7804371)

Thus I have questions;

I haven't done it, but I have fleetmates and channelmates who have leveled all the way to the cap in their TOS Connie, so it should be doable.

If you really wanna push the difficulty, do it in a Tuffli. :)

twg042370 02-01-2013 06:33 AM

I was gonna do it tonight but... y'know... shard maintenance.