Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Shipyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Assault Cruiser Budget Build (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=536491)

tarrennis 02-01-2013 06:26 PM

Assault Cruiser Budget Build

I'm a new player and could use help with an Assualt Cruiser build on a budget. My character is level 46 & I need a better ship to get to level 50 and then go after the rarer items such as MACO. I play PVE. My goals are to increase shields, turning ability, weapons damage.

Deflector: Positron Deflector Array Mk XI [shds] [em] rare
Engines: Combat Impulse Engines [spd] [turn] rare
Shields: Shield Array Mk XI [cap] x 2 rare
Engineering (4 slots): RCS Accelerator Mk X uncommon, EPS Flow Regulator Mk X rare, Field Emitter Mk XI common, Ablative Hull Armor Mk XI uncommon (not sure)
Science (2 slots): Emitter Array XI uncommon, ______________
Tactical (2 slots): something to increase specific beam damage, ______________
Devices (4 slots): 20 batteries each for shields, weapons, auxilliary, engines
Fore Weapons (4 slots): 3 beam array, 1 torpedo
Aft Weapons (4 slots): 3 beam array, 1 torpedo

The weapons are a problem, because they are very expensive. I am considering using Mk X over Mk XI to save money. Also, I am concerned about powering 6 beam arrays. My Captain has Efficient Captain & I have 1 BOFF w/ Efficient. I am leaning towards Tetryon Beams. Is there a better choice?

Which torpedoes are best for their cost?

Would Turets, Beam Banks, or Mines be useful?

smokeybacon90 02-01-2013 06:40 PM

If you are worried about beam arrays, fear not, as there are plenty available for free (near enough).

Play mission "Boldly they Rode", on each completion you can get a free Dominion Polaron Beam Array.
"Everything old is New" for rare Mk XI Phasers, or the Retro Phasers
"Past Imperfect" for Plasma/Disruptor Hybrid
"The New Link" for Polarized Tetryons

jadensecura 02-01-2013 08:48 PM

You really can get remarkably well set up from the episodes. There are also Blue [Acc]x2 Plasma arrays from Project Nightingale in the Romulan Front, and a green [Acc] Tetryon from Trapped, and I don't know how many others. For torps you can go for the green [Acc] quantum from Diplomatic Orders on Klingon Front, and I'm sure there are more options. It's a bit of work to search through all the descriptions, but you can end up very well set up. Also check out the shield from the Jem set that you can get from Boldly They Rode, it's a nice general purpose one if you can't get one of the STF sets yet. For your empty slots, use another damage type console for tac, and for sci, maybe just another Emitter Array. I'm also not wild about your eng console choices, RCS is ok if you want it, just make sure you test with and without it (the lower the turn rate of the ship the less an RCS does, so for a cruiser it's not too powerful), but the others are poor choices. EPS doesn't do anything except for power transfer, so it's usually not worth bothering with. The Field Emitter is a little weak, only adds 3 power or something, which isn't very significant, but ok if you have nothing better to do. The Ablative is just too specific and doesn't do anything for kinetic damage, so replace that with the Neutronium from A Light in the Dark. You can run two Neutroniums, or you can go with what you've got and replace them with universal consoles as you get them.

tarrennis 02-02-2013 09:24 AM

What other engingeering consoles would be good to use with the neutronium?

mustafatennick 02-02-2013 09:31 AM

Most of your engineering consoles there are pretty much useless unfortunately

Stack as many neutroniums as you can afford regardless of quality MK X if need be

tarrennis 02-04-2013 05:31 PM

This is my updated ship build. It is working better now. Any other suggestions?

Does anyone use the Satellite devices?

Deflector: Positron Deflector Array XI [shds] [em]
Engines: Combat Impulse Engines XII [aux] [full] [spd]
Shields: Shield Array XII [cap]x2 [tet]
Engineering (4 slots): Diburnium IX (uc), Diburnium IX, Diburnium X, Diburnium X
Science (2 slots): Emitter Array X, Emitter Array X
Tactical (3 slots): Pulse Generator XI, Pulse Generator XI, Zero Point Quantum Chamber XI (uc)
Devices (4 slots): 20 batteries each for shields, weapons, auxilliary, engines
Fore Weapons (4 slots): Tetryon Beam Array XI, Dual Tetryon Beam Bank XI [acc], Tetryon Cannon XI [crtH]x2, Quantum Torpedo Launcher XI
Aft Weapons (4 slots): Tetryon Beam Array X, Tetryon Beam Array X, Tetryon Beam Array XI
Quantum Torpedo Launcher X

unikon 02-04-2013 10:26 PM

EPS Flow Regulator isn't useless IMHO. Power transfer means all power. When weapons discharge it takes a brief period to return the power. If your power is drained it also means a longer wait for weapons to return to peak.

Some are going to disagree with this but I suggest something like this if you can:

EPS Flow Regulator, SIF Generator, Plasma Distribution Manifold, Neutronium Hull Plating

PDM will give you the boost to 125 Weapon Power, SIF will help with hull repair, EPS will help with keeping power regeneration efficient.

For science, maybe a Field Generator in addition to the Emitter Array. Capacity and regen. Two emitters might run into diminishing returns. I need to test that theory however.

jadensecura 02-05-2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unikon (Post 7892351)
EPS Flow Regulator isn't useless IMHO. Power transfer means all power. When weapons discharge it takes a brief period to return the power. If your power is drained it also means a longer wait for weapons to return to peak.

Some are going to disagree with this but I suggest something like this if you can:

EPS Flow Regulator, SIF Generator, Plasma Distribution Manifold, Neutronium Hull Plating

PDM will give you the boost to 125 Weapon Power, SIF will help with hull repair, EPS will help with keeping power regeneration efficient.

For science, maybe a Field Generator in addition to the Emitter Array. Capacity and regen. Two emitters might run into diminishing returns. I need to test that theory however.

You're forgetting that they've separated power regeneration and power transfer. I absolutely agree that power regeneration is an issue, but an EPS Flow Regulator will do nothing to help with it. That's why no one suggests it on builds. And of course to confuse the issue further, the skill Starship EPS actually does help with regeneration, but an EPS Flow Regulator will only boost power transfer rate and not that skill.

The Plasma Distribution Manifold also isn't really worth it. It's only 3.5 power, which is pretty insignificant. I guess it's marginally better than leaving the slot empty, but that's about the best that can be said for it.

I'm also pretty sure that they've removed diminishing returns from everything now, with the exception of armor consoles, which don't truly have diminishing returns, they do boost your armor rating by the same amount each, but are affected by the diminishing returns inherent in the damage resistance formula (which is designed to asymptotically approach some set maximum as you add more and more armor rating).

mustafatennick 02-05-2013 12:46 AM

Plasma distribution manifolds are not the thing to use and the eps transfer units don't help with power levels they assist power distribution and again aren't very good armour is much better

momaw 02-05-2013 03:32 AM

Well, EPS *is* kind of useful for a cruiser because it lets you more quickly divert power through your engines to have a turning radius smaller than a modest star system. If you can go full power to engines in the course of 3 or 4 seconds, it's very practical to do this to come about.

But definitely you need at least 3 layers of neutronium. If power allocation shenanigans don't appeal, you might consider Monotanium for the 4th layer of armor if you fight lots of borg. Borg kill with their unholy torpedoes more than anything else, and 3 neutronium + monotanium can push your kinetic resist past 40%.