Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   Something Needs to Be Done (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=537041)

hippiejon 02-02-2013 01:20 AM

Something Needs to Be Done

We can't even have a front page blurb about past spotlight missions being respotlighted at this point without those who are clearly griefing the entire foundry community at this point, coming in and having yet another dig.

They have been allowed to make the STO Forums,and now front page articles on the website a caustic and hateful place for authors to try and visit.

They are arranging in game mass bombings of 1 star ratings on peoples missions.

I'm done.
Take your high road and shove it.

I probably can't get my stupid spotlight mission pulled to be unpublished. Whatever.
I've withdrawn from foundry challenge #6.
I will no longer be publishing any missions.

I will continue to watch, with interest, and if such a time comes that steps have been taken to improve the situation around here, and the situation is indeed improved, I will probably come back to it.

Until Then ... Later

(this is not an I quit thread. I will still be playing the game.)

drkfrontiers 02-02-2013 01:29 AM

Hi bud,

Yes. I know - my mission have started to suffer the same fate.

I spent months on my series too, only to now be faced with griefers "Too $%^& long", "Ok", "Toooo long", "Toooo difficult" etc etc.

Its very disheartening to say the least. I've tried disclaimers, warnings, prompts - yet they still go ahead and rate it after I informed them of what they would be getting into.

Personally they should get rid of the rating system all together.

Every social media in the world allows rating approval. YouTube, Facebook, Linkedin. - it you do not like a comment or find it offensive you can opt to not have it displayed.

People could argue that this would lead to people only showing good comments.

Yes, well in the real world that's how things work. In any situations, where one finds oneself showing off your skills or resume, you show the good stuff....

bareel 02-02-2013 02:44 AM

First I would like to thank all authors for their contributions to the game. I know how difficult and frustrating the foundry can be and your labors of love should be treated with respect.

That said I warned everyone several times why nerfing the clickies was a bad idea. I warned that you did not want grinders playing foundry missions. No one listened.

Human nature. The reward, or experience, that is offered for an activity will attract a particular type of person. If the reward is simply the experience itself you attract those who wish to enjoy said experience. If the reward is a gindy/farmer type reward you attract hose who enjoy getting the maximum reward for the least amount of time/effort.

I say once again Cryptic, hire someone with a psychology or sociology background or continue to make these mistakes. Your call. And no, a data annalist who pulls random crap statistics from a data base with no ability to interpret what they represent is not a valid replacement for the above.

captainrevo1 02-02-2013 03:07 AM

If its any consolation, I've had drive by 1 starts since day one. after a while you get used to it as everybody suffers.

ive found the in game community much more friendly and much more appreciative of missions and authors. if you take the reviews themselves they tend to be positive. its the forums that get nastier but its the thousands in game that matter.

also as annoying as it is to see all this, most people are not stupid. they will see the 1 star review with the THIS is *%$&^ and realise that its either written by some kid or someone with an axe to grind and just ignore it, while paying attention to the thoughtful and well written responses.

mattjohnsonva 02-02-2013 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hippiejon (Post 7841341)
We can't even have a front page blurb about past spotlight missions being respotlighted at this point without these idiots, who are clearly griefing the entire foundry community at this point, coming in and having yet another dig.

They have been allowed to make the STO Forums,and now front page articles on the website a caustic and hateful place for authors to try and visit.

They are arranging in game mass bombings of 1 star ratings on peoples missions.

I'm done.
Take your high road and shove it.

I probably can't get my stupid spotlight mission pulled to be unpublished. Whatever.
I've withdrawn from foundry challenge #6.
I will no longer be publishing any missions.

I will continue to watch, with interest, and if such a time comes that steps have been taken to improve the situation around here, and the situation is indeed improved, I will probably come back to it.

Until Then ... Later

(this is not an I quit thread. I will still be playing the game.)

Understand how you must feel, my son started foundry missions at age 8, he is now 9 and has been put off making more by the negative reviews even though one of his "What's yours is mine" mission was highlighted on UGC and my first review of his mission explicitly states it's a great effort for an 8 year old (unhelped in any way shape or form by me or his mum). Even then intellectually challenged idiots will give him some crappy review. I told him to ignore those people because they are nasty and nasty people live in this world, but that most of the people are like most of the reviews, reasonable and fair.

Don't let it put you off hippie, I have yet to play your mission but will do so this weekend, I assure you it will not get a 1 star from me :)

nagorak 02-02-2013 03:30 AM

I think the real issue is the incentive structure for the Foundry is all wrong. The Foundry is about making stories. That is what Cryptic/DStahl claimed when it was released, and the effort put into making it reflects that fact.

The problem is the incentives currently encourage people to come to the Foundry to grind out resources (dilithium, fleet marks, etc). The Foundry should never offer a faster way of gathering resources than some other part of the game, no matter how optimized a mission is for doing so.

The rewards for playing Foundry missions should always be noticeably inferior to some other method of gaining resources, perhaps by about 20%. The rewards should provide a decent return for those who already enjoy playing stories, but they should not motivate people who want to maximize rewards to come in and distort what the Foundry is about.

The people who want to grind may be correct that a majority of the player base may not care about stories, but the problem is that those type of people should not be coming to the Foundry. The Foundry is for the minority who want stories, just like other parts of the game cater to different types of players.

In the end, stories require authors, and it's going to discourage a lot of people from bothering with the Foundry if their efforts are hidden beneath simple "Kill 25X" missions. This is going to be true for both STO and NW, so if some method of encouraging stories and discouraging grinders cannot be found, the resources going into developing the Foundry might as well just go elsewhere.

th3xr34p3r 02-02-2013 03:38 AM

Don't let these drive by 1 stars put you off, you guys make awsum missions and as long as you are making them when you have the time there will be people playing and enjoying them, having that much attention is showing that your to be reckoned with as an author and we as a community need to work together to enjoy whats available to us in this and other games and ignore those that make fools of themselves.

pendra3780 02-02-2013 03:58 AM

So the 1 star hit and runs are back? Happened before not a big deal.
On a side note, the entire rating and search UI is flawed to the core. Or rather, I may say that it is a piss poor, cheap as dirt solution. 30 mins of work and zero creativity usually result these kind of disasters...

I outlined a constructive plan to solve this issue, then they blew the forums, so I can't and won't quote it.

superguru100 02-02-2013 04:10 AM

I think it should not be a surprise to authors that there would be some backlash for the recent patch that changed the parameters of the grinding missions. The foundry should be structured differently and there should be some other type of outlet for grinding resources. The unfortunate truth is that this game has become nothing more than a huge grind fest for most end-game players. Cryptic is to blame for turning the game into the fiasco it has become and should therefore be the target of your discontent. As things stand, having those missions "nerfed" incited distaste for the foundry and for Cryptic in a large percentage of the player base. It was not a positive move.

bejaymac 02-02-2013 05:33 AM

The simple solution is to remove the IOR from the foundry, turn it into a place were players can go for a couple of hours just to get away from the constant grind, with the only rewards being the regular loot drops and the satisfaction of having completed a mission.

I know, that's a bit idealistic, especially as cryptic will nerf that as well.