Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Single Player Mission Difficulty Change? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=538041)

zenstrata 02-02-2013 06:40 PM

Single Player Mission Difficulty Change?

Over the last few weeks through careful management of equipment and character building, I was able to do the single player missions at the Elite difficulty. I would come close to dying usually once per mission, and sometimes I would get killed and have to try again. But on the whole it was a fun challenge.

Since the last patch however I have been getting creamed on the first enemy in every elite mission I try. I run a cruiser as an engineer. I should have the highest health in terms of ships and repair skills. Yet the enemies in these missions are killing me now on the Elite setting in between 3-5 seconds. It is too much.

Did they drastically change the difficulty of the AI on single player missions? Has anyone else been experiencing the same thing? Was there some sort of stealth nerf in the last patch?

tenkari 02-02-2013 06:41 PM

have you been repairing your ship injuries? when on advance and elite every time you blow up you have a chance to sustain injuries which lower your stats, these can include shield strength and hull strength.

zenstrata 02-02-2013 06:44 PM

Yes, I am always making sure I am fully repaired. I have no injuries when I try these things, as I said, I have been able to do them on the elite setting for the last week or two. Its just today that I am getting creamed in seconds. I don't know what I could be doing wrong. I am running the same things today that I was running two days ago (well upgrading equipment and such as normal as I go along) - but my tactics were very successful prior to the last patch. I really have no idea what I could be doing suddenly wrong that is causing me to die so quickly.

That is why I think it must have something to do with the last patch. Not many people run the single player missions it seems. So it is likely something that most have not noticed. But I am running through them on the elite setting, as I said I was quite successful prior to the latest patch. I can't think of what it could be otherwise.

tenkari 02-02-2013 06:49 PM

it also depends, name specific missions in which you were only dying once and name the ones where you last only 3-5 seconds.

you can do many things solo yes, but some content is better run with groups.

zenstrata 02-02-2013 06:53 PM

It is any mission I try on elite setting. I spent the last 4 hours fiddling with them trying to find something I could do. I even went back and did the very basic missions at the starting areas of the game "Explore Strange New Worlds" for example, on elite setting. Things I used to be able to run through fine - are now literally completely impossible. As a test the last mission I ran was one of the repeatable ones you get when you are level 1-5. The difficulty settings seem to have been sent into the stratosphere and are now completely impossible on elite for practically any single player mission. I should note I did this testing from levels 37-39 tonight.

I should also note that I am Not making up those death times. Literally basic enemies in the starting missions will now kill my Tanking engi cruiser setup in 3-5 seconds. It is nearly instant death in single player on elite. No longer just a challenege - now not even worth playing.

bitemepwe 02-02-2013 06:56 PM

I think EASY settings needs to be more of a challenge. I just played my fed through the Anniversary mission ( hey, free ships) and I have never spent any skill points on him after the skill tree change.
With no points in any skill what so ever I should have never been able to complete that mission.

zenstrata 02-02-2013 07:02 PM

bitemepwe - that is fine for easy setting, but you should try it on elite. Before it was a good challenge - careful battle strategy, decent character build, and better than basic equipment used to make these missions fun. They were hard as I mentioned, but possible. Now they are completely impossible. Something was changed for the worse in the last patch. Either that or I suddenly have developed a brain tumor and am just doing something incredibly stupid that I can't figure out.

The problem with the game is very few people actually play starting characters anymore. Almost everyone seems to be max level and have nearly the best equipment available. This is making testing of these basic single player missions something that seems to have fallen by the wayside.

If cryptic wants to keep new players around this is something they need to take into account.

bitemepwe 02-02-2013 07:16 PM

Its fine that a player can easy pass a mission with no skills at all? I have spent no points, my skill trees are completely empty and the game on easy has no challenge at all.
When set to easy even a spastic monkey banging on keyboard should not be able to complete a mission with absolutely no effort at all.
Thats not fun at all.

EASY setting should have mild level of challenge requiring a low level of effort. Currently it requires nothing but spamming keys randomly.

MODERATE should require more effort and be a challenge that allows for only a few mistakes to comete a mission.

ELITE should require flat out skill and some measure of luck to complete, though not be impossible.

zenstrata 02-02-2013 07:22 PM

Easy is supposed to be Easy. Thats why it is Called "Easy". This thread is about the Elite setting. Not the Easy setting.

Edit: I suppose it is my mistake, I did not put Elite in the title. I figured people would actually read the first post. In any case - try playing any single player mission with a new character, on the Elite setting and you will see what I mean. Even with good strategy, a good build, and decent equipment, you will probably get creamed instantly. Where before the game challenge actually fit the names of the difficulty settings, now they might as well rename Elite to 'Impossible'. Or just remove the difficutly setting completely - because at this point it might as well not even be there.

bitemepwe 02-02-2013 07:30 PM

I thought from the title it was on single player difficulty settings, of which easy is stupidly easy if an unskilled player can win a mission, and was about diffculty settings in general.
My mistake.

The problem with ELITE is they just make the foes more numerous, hit harder and tougher without making the fight smarter as a means to offer challenge.

The NPCs elite is equal to the Players easy, in that nothing but nonsencially flinging powers is required to kill said players.