Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Colourblind Help Idea (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=540091)

pakledgenius 02-04-2013 02:19 PM

Colourblind Help Idea

No idea where this should go as I couldn't see an idea's section.

Thank you for the Q's presents daily mission, the general idea has been around for centuries but it was a nice spin on the idea and a lot of people seem to be having fun with it.

This is not the first in game puzzle to use colours and might well not be the last so I wonder if I could make a small request for those of us who are colourblind. Would it be possible to use the colours in conjunction with some other visual aid?

As an example with Q's presents you could have shapes on the sides of the box too like a circle, square, triangle. It would obviously also work with a 1, 2 or 3 on the sides of the boxes or A, B C. You could even just have any other extra visual aids floating above the boxes or displayed below them if you didn't want to put them on the sides of the boxes.

nynik 02-04-2013 02:22 PM

That's a really good idea. Perhaps the ribbons could be patterned different too.

Although, we may not see this minigame again - although, it would be nice to see it added to the winter event next year.

pakledgenius 02-09-2013 10:08 AM

I see that this dropped off the front page pretty quickly presumably because the idea was good and didn't need more input.

It would be good to know that this has been noted though by those that might be able to do something about it.

collegepark2151 02-09-2013 10:17 AM

I'm not personally color blind but I would support different shaped presents or some other visual cue to assist those who are. It's my understanding that a pretty significant portion of the population has some degree of colorblindness.

jslyn 02-09-2013 10:24 AM

I am not colorblind either but I agree that there needs to be some difference between the packages for the people that are. Y'all are inadvertently punishing some of your players for having a birth defect.

tacofangs 02-09-2013 01:56 PM

Indeed, you can blame the Taco. Someone came to me one day while I was in the middle of other things, saying they needed the presents scaled up to fit Mini Q. I did so without really looking into what it was going to be used for.

In the future, if I hear of such things, I'll try to make sure I include a pattern on them.

collegepark2151 02-09-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacofangs (Post 7975541)
Indeed, you can blame the Taco. Someone came to me one day while I was in the middle of other things, saying they needed the presents scaled up to fit Mini Q. I did so without really looking into what it was going to be used for.

In the future, if I hear of such things, I'll try to make sure I include a pattern on them.

Oh well. Burritos happen. Everyone makes enchiladas. *insert random mexican food saying here*

centersolace 02-09-2013 03:26 PM

Cryptic isn't meaning to do it on purpose, but yeah, these sort of things need to be taken into account more often.

On a related note, with a handful of exceptions, isn't it odd that the ideas that everyone agrees with disappear, and the almost universally terrible ones get fought over for months?

grylak 02-09-2013 03:31 PM

As a colourblind player, I fully support this idea (one of the reasons I love that show accurate uniform colour guide).

jslyn 02-09-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by collegepark2151 (Post 7975981)
Oh well. Burritos happen. Everyone makes enchiladas. *insert random mexican food saying here*

Its nacho fault.