Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Idea: Auxiliary and Ionic Beam Arrays (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=543121)

kiloace 02-07-2013 07:04 AM

Idea: Auxiliary and Ionic Beam Arrays
 
People are complaining beams are bad. I agree with them. Here's my idea to improve them.

Auxiliary Beam Arrays

These Beam Arrays are cosmetically identical to normal beam arrays, but they operate slightly differently.

They only deal about 85% of the damage of a standard Beam Array. However, they try to make up for this in a few different ways. First of all, not only does their damage increase as weapon power level increases, but auxiliary power also determines damage dealt by Aux beams as well. Weapon power determines your energy weapon damage after skills, boosts and other spec details are factored in. If your weapon power is sustained at 100 regularly, you'll be dealing roughly 200% of your standard damage. Auxiliary power also factors into that, starting and increasing when you set your aux power at or below 50 (which would be a .5 additional modifier. So, let's use math now:

Standard Beam Array - 100 Damage per shot x 2.0 = 200 Total Damage

Aux Beam Array (Less than 50 Auxiliary power) - 85 Damage per shot x 2.0 = 170 Total Damage

Aux Beam Array (50 Auxiliary power) - 85 Damage per shot x 2.0 (+ 0.5) = 212 Total Damage

Aux Beam Array (100 Auxiliary power) - 85 Damage per shot x 2.0 (+ 1.0) = 255 Total Damage

If your auxiliary is set to 50 or higher, you gain a bonus over standard beam arrays. Up to 55 additional damage per shot if your aux is at max.

To balance this out, this Beam can only be equipped on Science vessels or the Odyssey class cruiser (there may be others viable for it if so let me know).

Ionic Beam Array

These Beam Arrays deal approximately 70% of the standard beam array. They also drain approximately 1.4 times the amount of weapon power of other beam arrays. But they also have a special trick. When attacking an enemy, the player will get a 0.18% heal of their maximum hull. This can be really powerful if combined with a high weapon power.

Standard Beam Array - 100 Damage x 2.0 (100 Weapon power) = 200 Damage (0 Hull healed)

*10 power drained when firing other weapons

Ionic Beam Array - 70 Damage x 2.0 = 140 Damage

*14 power drained when firing other weapons

Because of their increased power drain and lower damage, Ionic Beam arrays aren't very effective when used in large numbers. Thus, they're best used on cruisers which benefit from large maximum hulls (and will therefore gain more of a heal than another ship type) and fatter power bonuses and Boff abilities.

If one Ionic Beam Array fires 45 shots in a 1 minute engagement:

(Sovereign Base Hull) - Heals approximately 31, 590 Hull (702 per shot) in a minute

(Luna Base Hull) - Heals approximately 21,870 Hull (468 per shot) in a minute

So yeah, these ideas, though maybe not the most balanced in PvP, would still be good for PvE. Any thoughts on the balance or impact in STO?

adamkafei 02-07-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiloace (Post 7933621)
So yeah, these ideas, though maybe not the most balanced in PvP, would still be good for PvE. Any thoughts on the balance or impact in STO?

For once I am going to speak for the pvpers when I say "no" as a pve-er I don't care, if I'm going to die I'm going to die and I don't get a choice in the matter, but as a part time pvper as well no, just no, science ships should do their thing based on their sci powers which have been reduced to nothingness (Thanks AP:A3 and GDF) and beam arrays need a fix to their drain mechanics to bring them back in line and then, once again, everything will be in balance

kiloace 02-07-2013 09:02 AM

I honestly wouldn't be trying this if Science powers were really good enough to warrant lower damage, and "tanking" actually translated into "sustainable target" instead of "die 2 seconds later."

mikearoo 02-12-2013 02:17 AM

Just make the ones we have now do what they're supposed too, don't worry about aux/weapon powers or any other mumbo jumbo, its called weapons power for a reason

bones1970 02-12-2013 02:23 AM

Let them fisrt fix bo3 and faw

bpharma 02-15-2013 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamkafei (Post 7936241)
For once I am going to speak for the pvpers when I say "no" as a pve-er I don't care, if I'm going to die I'm going to die and I don't get a choice in the matter, but as a part time pvper as well no, just no, science ships should do their thing based on their sci powers which have been reduced to nothingness (Thanks AP:A3 and GDF) and beam arrays need a fix to their drain mechanics to bring them back in line and then, once again, everything will be in balance

Agreed, I've also been of the mindset that sci power damage should not be boosted by those two abilities which should only affect weapon damage. It's pretty much those 2 abilities in PvP that have ruined most non tactical skills.

Now I'm not saying science skills should be completely OP like they used to be but it would be nice if my gravity well 3, nearly 200 points in particle generators, full aux, with a minimum of 40s CD and with the targets sensor scanned could take out the probes in KASE or at least do enough damage that my low weapon power or another science skill could finish them off.

I also agree with the beam drain mechanics, amazing how much more damage a cruisers beams do with nadeon inversion active.

kiloace 02-15-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpharma (Post 8082301)
Agreed, I've also been of the mindset that sci power damage should not be boosted by those two abilities which should only affect weapon damage. It's pretty much those 2 abilities in PvP that have ruined most non tactical skills.

Now I'm not saying science skills should be completely OP like they used to be but it would be nice if my gravity well 3, nearly 200 points in particle generators, full aux, with a minimum of 40s CD and with the targets sensor scanned could take out the probes in KASE or at least do enough damage that my low weapon power or another science skill could finish them off.

I also agree with the beam drain mechanics, amazing how much more damage a cruisers beams do with nadeon inversion active.

Well, I guess that's just the problem then. Science powers are not as good as they need to be, and I made this thread because I felt that, but chose a different approach. If science powers were actually a suitable alternative to mass damage, I'd be cool with it. The different roles in the game should be, after all, different methods of handling a situation, but with a similar (successful) outcome.

bpharma 02-17-2013 08:23 PM

It's not just science skills it's also engineering skills too. DEM doesn't exactly do much without the doff associated with it and aceton beam has a very long CD when compared to end tier tactical abilities. The problem is what is effective in PvE would be very exploitable and overpowered in PvP because not everyone is flying around in a 150k hull cube.

the1tigglet 03-13-2013 01:14 AM

very bad idea, what they should do is make beam weapons take their damage coefficient from AUX power only. That way it's viable for science ships and eng ships (cruisers) because they both use abilities that require aux power. Then the power settings for these ships can be kept in aux/shields and make for better more sensable gameplay.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:24 AM.