Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   defensive advice (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=544641)

dksajo 02-08-2013 11:50 AM

defensive advice

I have a question about defence against the Borg. when fighting them there is always a green cloud that envelopes my ship. I assume it is a plasma fire and I can not figure out how to avoid it or recover before dying. could someone give me a little advice? Thanks

hanover2 02-08-2013 11:53 AM

People are going to tell you to train your Science Officer in Hazard Emitters to clear the plasma fire, but I get by just fine in elite STFs stacking Engineering armor/plating consoles with plasma resistance and running MACO shields.

dksajo 02-08-2013 12:04 PM

The MACO shield is an Omega item is't it

tenkari 02-08-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hanover2 (Post 7959871)
People are going to tell you to train your Science Officer in Hazard Emitters to clear the plasma fire, but I get by just fine in elite STFs stacking Engineering armor/plating consoles with plasma resistance and running MACO shields.

true, but for those who cant afford said consoles or shields yet, HE has another thing aside from clearing stuff, its a Heal over Time as well, so for those who want a higher 'tanking' abilitiy they would probably slot HE for the extra heals aside from the plasma fire healing.

yes, the MACO shield is from the omega force rep system. or if your KDF it would be the Adapted shield your after.

stirling191 02-08-2013 01:09 PM

Maco shields do nothing against plasma dots. Their extra 20% plasma DR is applied to shield damage only.

darkjeff 02-08-2013 02:30 PM

Everyone should have Hazard Emitters 1 anyway. What else are you putting in there? It's a large heal over time, gives a small damage resistance bonus, has a short 45s cooldown, and can be used on whoever is tanking. It'll also clear Borg Shield Neutralizer and Plasma DoTs for 15 seconds.

What could possibly be so important that you wouldn't carry HE1 if you know what it does?

sumghai 02-08-2013 02:39 PM

As already mentioned, Hazard Emitters is probably the best defense against plasma fires.

I also have Photonic Officer on standby to shorten the cooldown.

twam 02-08-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkjeff (Post 7962251)
Everyone should have Hazard Emitters 1 anyway. What else are you putting in there?

Well, TB1, PH1 or TSS1, depending on the ship and captain class :p

Having said that, I find the Hazard Emitters important enough to always run HE2. Always. Except on my sci, where I run HE3.

Edit: added to the qualities already mentioned, it also adds a small damage resistance buff.

hanover2 02-08-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkjeff (Post 7962251)
What could possibly be so important that you wouldn't carry HE1 if you know what it does?

Science Team and Polarize Hull.