Returning to STO - can't wait :)
Wow. I've been away for a while, and it seems that the whole game has changed according to these forums!
I originally played for about 3 months solid right at the beginning and absolutely LOVED the game. It was fantastic. But sadly the windows partition on my wife's macbook pro died and I wasn't allowed to try to create another one. Now my longrunning ultrareliable Powermac has finally died at 13 years old (!) and so I have the excuse to buy a new computer - and it should arrive shortly, so I can get playing again!
Now just to work out why I seem to be back to square one on these forums - I had a couple of hundred posts but it seems like my log in details don't work since perfectworld got involved. Hope that doesn't mean all my characters in-game are dead too...? Though to be honest all I ever did was hop from mission to mission annoying anyone I was paired with as I refused to let my connie refit go into retirement... Though I had a few very proud moments in PVP against much better ships as I'd got quite good at using it with stupidly overpowered equipment... but generally I just died very quickly and annoyed my teammates... but there seem to be SOOOOO many more beautiful ships in game now than there were 2 years ago, Oberth, Excelsior, Ambassador (!!!!). I'm stupidly and quite pathetically excited about starting playing again.
Oh actually just a very quick question. This is going to make me sound really really stupid and wasteful of money but I let my subscription carry on even though I wasn't playing anymore because I was happy to contribute $15 a month for STO to succeed as I always intended coming back once I had the excuse to buy a new computer... Is there actually any benefit to subscribing any more or not?
So basically - hello again and I'm looking forwards to getting involved again! How is STO faring these days?
I have a few questions actually so I'll put them in some sort of order. Hope you don't mind my rambling post but I'm sure people will be happy to hear of returning players - even if they are sad enough that they've blown over $500 paying for a game they're not playing just to contribute to it surviving!
1. How has STO changed in the last 2 years? The fleet system was barely existent when I left. I know that's a long answer, but it's hard to get a handle on an overview of the changes from outside the game.
2. Is it worth carrying on subscribing? What benefits do I get in game?
3. Will my characters have survived their cryogenic stasis? My forum name didn't.
4. What's the best ship from the TMP/pre Next Gen era in the game now? Excelsior managed to get into T5 somehow? Or is it Ambassador?
5. How is STO getting on? Are the numbers dropping playing it, or is it doing well since the F2P transition? Is there any sense that early players who left are returning?
6. How is PVP these days? It was incredible the first few weeks, but then seemed to die off. I also became a little unpopular when I carried on using my connie refit at T4 PVP, but I did pull off some spectacular upsets - I'll try not to do that too much when I come back :)
Basically it'll still be a couple of weeks till I get back in and I want to chat :) so anyone feel free to answer any of the questions above! Don't flame me for asking questions that are probably answered all over the forums - I just feel like getting involved again and starting a chat.
Thanks and look forward to seeing you all ingame again
1. The fleet system allows Starbases and Fleet Holdings to be created. Items can be purchased that are better than anything else in the game with the ultra-rare quality items. The Reputation system was introduced and it gives additional powers and equipment. All the Borg items are now part of the Reputation system so the good stuff you purchase with Omega Marks instead of it being a random drop. A new sector was added where you help Romulans and Remans with their colony. It currently has the best dps hangar pet in the game at the moment.
Lockboxes (lottery with main prize as a ship that doesn't belong in 25th Century Starfleet or KDF)were added to the game to generate revenue and it is very controversial. Federation now has a couple of carriers added to the game.
2. There is no benefit to subscribing any more. Might lose some inventory/bank slots and might lose access to some of your energy credits which can be remedied with purchasing an energy credit cap increase. If you want to support the game, then you can go with the lifetime subscription for its benefits.
3. They should have survived since you kept up your subscription. Not sure what would have happened if you didn't, but I doubt they would delete your character. Everyone lost their forum name last summer due to the conversion of the forums from Cryptic to Perfect World.
4. Excelsior came out awhile ago with a Transwarp system that allows very good access to everywhere in the game. Ambassador is currently Tier 5 if you do the mission this week.
6. There was a post awhile ago where the devs were deciding whether to toss out pvp, but they seem to be working on it. Not sure when it will get fixed.
Keep in mind that what you've got ingame, will not be taken away. You should keep your bank slots, but things like E.C. limit, number of bridge officers, ships, etc. will go back to Silver status.
You also earned 500 Zen every months since the game went free to play, that's 6000zen waiting for you.
You're also considered a veteran for subscribing, http://sto.perfectworld.com/community/veteran-rewards
Make sure to get them before cancelling your sub.
3. Make sure you link your PWE/Cryptic accounts. http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=784201
The subscription doesn't add too much value, but it does give you some perks when leveling up your characters (extra bank, ship and BOFF slots). I would say keep your subscription running while you're leveling up whatever characters you want to level up. If you do remove your subscription, then make sure you buy the Higher EC Cap from the C-store. As a non subed player, you'd be limited to 10 million EC per character with any extra EC made just being lost.
Your best bet for a classic looking ship will most likely be the Excelsior for $20 to unlock on all your characters in the C-Store. If you join a fleet you can buy a slightly more advanced model of that ship for $20 for one character, or if you own the c-store $20 Excelsior already, it will clost $5 to buy the Fleet version for each character.
Your characters will survive as long as you're using the same login info.
I appreciate your positive attitude after spending a good deal of money on the game when you weren't playing it. Leave your in game handle here and I'll send you something shiny to welcome you back to the game.
Drop everything you do! Ignore everything around you.
Goto Earth Space Dock
Get the Ambassador mission.
Get 2 Ambassador ships for free.
You only have 3 days left until they disappear.
After that you can study the rest of the game :)
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:34 PM.|