Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Npc Ai (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=546071)

hereticknight085 02-09-2013 07:28 PM

Npc Ai

At long last my silence is broken... and I have returned with a vengeance! Only this time I bring to light an oft discussed topic that has been seen up and down these forums for a long time, especially due to constant complaining by players about NPC one shots.

Does anyone remember two weeks before S7 went live? I do. I was just going into a KASE like normal. Had my usual squad I ran with, and we were just joking around in chat, and deciding who was doing what. Then we engaged the Tactical Cube. Less than 15 seconds in, we had the first shield facing down and were pounding away at it's hull. And then all of a sudden, our main tank went down. As in GONE in 5 seconds. 80% shields and 100% hull just gone. And this wasn't your usual incompetent Odyssey, I know his build, and it was solid. The Tactical Cube then proceeded to kill off two more of us before we finally downed it. We figured it was a bug/we were just a little derpier than usual.

So we proceeded to waste the transformers and Gates, during which the Gates killed us a few more times. We were starting to get annoyed, since we weren't used to gates firing on us from over 7k out. But we still got the opt with plenty of time to spare. Then we got to Donatra. And all I have to say about that fight was WOW. Her timing was insanely good, and her damage output was incredible. Sufficed to say, she timed her attacks when our TTs were on cooldown, her Thaleron blasts were spot on, and her cloaking choices were insanely well timed. After the match, we talked about it, and we determined, no it was not us, nor the alcohol a few of us had in our systems, but it was the AI. We looked at her overall damage and health, and she was doing the same amount of damage and had the same amount of HP. The only difference was her ability usage. It was well timed, and well planned.

We had our suspicions, but they were confirmed when we ran a CSE and an ISE after. The Borg AI had been vastly improved. They were smarter, faster, and a whole lot nastier as a result. They weren't any stronger, but their timing on ability and attacks had been changed, their general combat style had changed as well. They had actually become scary. The Tactical Cube in ISE had it's torp timing down to a science. The second our TTs went on CD, it would hit BFAW3, and then fire a torp at a bare facing. The Carrier and it's BoPs in CSE were insanely nasty with timing, to say nothing of the Neg'vhars and Raptors.

We then went on the ESTF channels and confirmed it wasn't just us, it was everyone. And then the massive rage threads about OP borg started here on the forums. It was GLORIOUS.

Shortly after S7 came out, the NPC AI suddenly dropped again. Back to normal dumb Borg. And it was boring. Again. Face-roll as usual.

I would propose that we give the Borg back that wonderful AI bolster that they had right before S7. Make them scary and powerful again. Make them so they wait for our TTs to go on CD and then drop the hammer on us. I mean players do it all the time. Why not the Borg? They were doing it before. They were giving us hell, like the Borg should. I would love to see them doing it again!

cmdrskyfaller 02-09-2013 07:44 PM

Dude and you have no idea how good the AI was before the F2P stupefied the game overall.

Borg used to fire shield neutralizers that, as their name states, would neutralize your shields if not cleansed within seconds. They would tractor you and hammer you HARD. They would use disable skills, etc.

hereticknight085 02-09-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmdrskyfaller (Post 7978171)
Dude and you have no idea how good the AI was before the F2P stupefied the game overall.

Borg used to fire shield neutralizers that, as their name states, would neutralize your shields if not cleansed within seconds. They would tractor you and hammer you HARD. They would use disable skills, etc.

Oh you mean like the sector incursion borg did before whining scrubs and wimps got them nerfed? Oh believe me, I know what the Borg were like. But STF borg don't use those, so naturally their AI buff never reflected it. Shame really.

And trust me, I know what good AI is. And the Borg actually had it for two weeks before S7 came out. It was the most fun I'd had for my entire time playing. Then all the Q.Qing on the forum got them nerfed back down to nothing.

bitemepwe 02-09-2013 08:50 PM

The NPC AI offers no challenge and is to easy to exploit when inskilled (as in no points in any skills on the skill tree) toons can blow through missions unhindered.

scurry5 02-09-2013 09:11 PM

At the very least, to avoid QQ about this sort of thing, it might be good to put this AI into another difficulty level, just for those who know they can handle it, or make it available only to pre-teamed players. Just a suggestion, to have the best of both worlds.

kyeto13 02-10-2013 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scurry5 (Post 7978831)
At the very least, to avoid QQ about this sort of thing, it might be good to put this AI into another difficulty level, just for those who know they can handle it, or make it available only to pre-teamed players. Just a suggestion, to have the best of both worlds.

I tihnk this idea has been kicked around for a while now. Having the normal STF start out with a training wheels on. And then in elite, the gloves come off and it is in an actual elite mood. The AI are smarter, they time attacks better, they read your buffs and attempt to weasel between them. They focus fire on a single target.

Again, We have been shown this is possible. Let's Make it So!

adamkafei 02-10-2013 04:36 AM

I remember when I first played Hive onslaught in normal difficulty on Tribble (using my C-store Excel build) and that was fun with the grav wells etc and it was great, they actually posed a slight challenge (only slight cos we blazed through with the perfect team composition, 2tac/scorts, 2 eng/cruisers and 1 sci/sci) went for elite afterwards having a feel for the mission and 3 people quit presumably due to getting facerolled.

I would very much like to see that back in the game across ALL NPC ship (even allied ones) that would as a side effect move the game away from a straight DPS race :D

So yeah, Bring on a good AI!

diogene0 02-10-2013 06:51 AM

I definitely want to see this kind of AI back in game. :D

cmdrskyfaller 02-10-2013 10:09 AM

I find the mirror invasion ship AI to be quite good right now. Those ships toss every trick at you they can.

hereticknight085 02-10-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diogene0 (Post 7982551)
I definitely want to see this kind of AI back in game. :D

Those were a good two weeks weren't they...