Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   What does the release of Neverwinter mean for STO? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=547011)

centersolace 02-10-2013 10:16 PM

What does the release of Neverwinter mean for STO?

I just watched TotalBiscuit's Neverwinter beta playthrough, and it's gotten me wondering about a couple of things that could improve STO. We already know that the engines are similar enough that you can port things between them (the foundry is apparently being built to do just this) so I'm starting to see a lot of things that could, and should be brought over.

1. Narrow corridors.

I mean there are a couple where you can't fit two character models next to each other. Can you say correctly scaled interiors?

2. More imaginative level design.

In the Neverwinter video I noticed just how much up and down was involved. That dungeon had drop offs, cliffs, hills, rocks to climb on, stairs, secret areas, hidden chests, hidden bosses, tons of stuff all throughout a very interesting level. Levels in STO on the other hand are rather.... planar. In any given mission there's very little incentive to stray off the beaten path and go exploring, which is weird coming from a series that was all about it.

3. Better plants.

No really. I'll be the first to say it. Neverwinter has better plants than STO. I mean...

They actually look like plants.

4. That melee combat system...

...Can we haz? Star Trek has a long and proud history of fist fights! That is a tradition that should be continued, I say we should have some parts of Neverwinters melee system.

5. The lack of map transfers.

This might not be entirely fair to STO as it was only one dungeon, and theres a lot of planet hopping, but I liked the fact that in the hour long video there was only two map transfers. STO would very much benefit from less or at least better disguised map transfers.

6. The surprisingly minimal VFX.

For such a magic saturated setting, I was decidedly shocked by just how minimal the VFX on powers were. Sure the knife flashing up on the screen whenever a backstab occurred was obnoxious, but other than that it was surprisingly subdued. I like that. I could see the enemies, I could see the environments, I could see!

Contrast that with STO where a simple buff turns your captain Super Saiyan.

All in all, it was a very good showing for the Neverwinter team with a lot of very good things that I hope STO steals. :P :D

centersolace 02-10-2013 10:26 PM

Seriously mods? Do you even read the threads you move? Or just the titles?

This thread is about features that Neverwinter posses that I believe should be incorporated into Star Trek Online. I think that warrants the Star Trek Online don't you think? :P

captmack001 02-10-2013 10:45 PM

Logic has no place in these forums it never has.

As for neverwinter playing a role for STO i think it will be a good thing and what you have pointed out is worth reading

user839020189287 02-10-2013 11:24 PM

STO NGE inbound!

causalityeffect 02-10-2013 11:40 PM

You expect Cryptic to backtrack through STO and update it with the new features of their newest game ?

At best your likely to see a minor attempt at adopting some of the stuff but even then I wouldnt bet on it. They want to sell Neverwinter Nights, which will depend on selling the new features that go with it.

If they include those features in STO in removes the exclusive nature from their new shiny product. All your really seeing is Cryptics hilariously pathetic MMO evolution.

All Neverwinter Nights really proves is that Cryptic are yet again a collection of incompetant liars because repeatedly they have said X,Y,Z couldnt be done because blah blah blah.
I.E Interiors need to be big because camera bull... hows that working for you Neverwinter Nights ?

The reality is... we really dont have the talent or incentive to do it when all you Star Trek fanboys will happily lap up any piece of eye candy trash we give you.

user839020189287 02-10-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by causalityeffect (Post 7992081)
You expect Cryptic to backtrack through STO and update it with the new features of their newest game ?

Am curious why the need to redo the STO character creator? Changes for the engine? Was thinking similar.

Like it matters much. Just another Big Mac being served when I really, really am in need of a steak.

Almost time to go where they serve better fare.

idrona 02-11-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by causalityeffect (Post 7992081)
The reality is... we really dont have the talent or incentive to do it when all you Star Trek fanboys will happily lap up any piece of eye candy trash we give you.

Some day, if I stick around long enough to become an old "bitter vet" in STO I hope to use that quote in my sig. :P

It is a mean quote but I atleast have to admit thinking something like that at some point, and there is probably some truth to it. That no matter what they do to this game (with the exception of adding too much fun, like balloons) the hardcore Trekkies will still keep it alive.

Note: I'm not an old bitter vet (yet), and the balloon comment is Free.

starkaos 02-11-2013 07:49 AM

New Foundry tech and customizable interiors based on that Foundry tech.

maxdred 02-11-2013 08:57 AM

We'll probably get more narrow corriders. A lot of the newer content in sto has had better scaling. I think a lot of the older content with the massive rooms and corriders was just rushed design and nothing to do with tech limitations.

Better foundry ported over. I don't see why not.

Maybe elements of the melee combat if they do another ground combat revamp.

coupaholic 02-11-2013 10:22 AM

Most likely, completely nothing.

As far as STO is concerned I'm sure Cryptic is pretty happy with the status quo and they wouldn't be interesting in re-writing approved work schedules to shoehorn shiny new Neverwinter mechanics or aesthetics.

In fact they would avoid it. They will need as many people as possible to flock to this game on release for it to be successful, and if they reverse engineer parts of the game into STO what would be the point in any of us going over there to check it out?