Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Graphical and Sound Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   optimus and DX11 (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=548051)

sireloganelder 02-12-2013 12:52 AM

optimus and DX11

hello everyone. I'd like to ask a favour.. I have some issues I need to work out

So I just bought a new laptop, a Samsung series 3 300 E5C s08

Core i3 2110 2,4ghz(ivy bridge)
4gb ram
hm76
GeForce 620m 1gb ddr3
windows 8 x64

so the issue is very simple and stupid: If I run the game normally the discrete graphic card kicks all right, but a lot of the options are greyed out on the video menu.

If I go to troubleshoot, I see that under the "render " option there are both the hd4000 as target for dx9 or the GeForce put as dx11 device, but if I choose dx11 the game gets stuck at the loading screen just before character selection... only once I managed to have it load and so I had access to all the option.

I tried stock driver, mainline drivers and beta drivers. still same issue.
is there anything I can do to get STO to recognize my card correctly and make available all of the dx9 options?

(ps, I've just noted that at the bottom of this forum there are 2 logos that I found interesting.. NVDIA TWIMTBP and intel core... I own both... more like the way it's meant to be bugged. )

sireloganelder 02-22-2013 10:32 AM

A little update on this topic: it seems that i can start the game with x11, but it takes an awful lot of time to get the game started after a patch.

jcsww 02-22-2013 10:52 AM

I don't mean to sound rude or trollish but you can't expect much out of that system and STO. GPU's with numbers like x50 and higher are what you should be looking at if you want more options to appear available in yur games, STO included. The low end, even of the current 6xx series nVidia GPU's aren't really aimed at gaming. This game also suffers some various coding issues when it comes to graphics and is just a bloated resource hog in every sense of the phrase, whether CPU or GPU.

afree100 02-23-2013 10:15 PM

This games CPU usage is very efficent compared to many games I have seen of the graphical quality (and esp since its an MMO which should be using quite a lot (due to all the CPU bound stuff with MMOs)), as for graphics, the engines quality is quite impressive but a lot of the 3D models are letting it down.

jcsww 02-24-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afree100 (Post 8279651)
This games CPU usage is very efficent compared to many games I have seen of the graphical quality (and esp since its an MMO which should be using quite a lot (due to all the CPU bound stuff with MMOs)), as for graphics, the engines quality is quite impressive but a lot of the 3D models are letting it down.

You have some good points but it's not all the models. Under DX11, there are a crap load of missing textures that have been there since DX11 was added to Holodeck. It was in beta and still is and there has been next to nothing done about bringing it out of beta. The main problem with this game CPU and GPU wise are the many bugs out there. Considering I can run Crysis 3 at 1920X1200 at full everything but up until a week or so ago, you would swear my system was mid range at best due to coding issues with Anti-Aliasing that have finally been fixed for me. There still is a memory leak issue and tons of graphical, network, and CPU resource issues with STO. If this game worked properly, it would run a lot beter on the lowest and the highest of systems. Don't even get me started on DX9. :P

sireloganelder 03-03-2013 08:24 AM

excuse me.. how do this solve my problem??? sigh... and the dx9.0c options are aviable even on a x1950pro...

sireloganelder 03-03-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcsww (Post 8254721)
I don't mean to sound rude or trollish but you can't expect much out of that system and STO. GPU's with numbers like x50 and higher are what you should be looking at if you want more options to appear available in yur games, STO included. The low end, even of the current 6xx series nVidia GPU's aren't really aimed at gaming. This game also suffers some various coding issues when it comes to graphics and is just a bloated resource hog in every sense of the phrase, whether CPU or GPU.

this has nothing to do with the actual power of the laptop.The graphical options at your disposal depends ONLY on drivers and the exposed DX capabilities of the graphic card. What is happening here is that the game is reconizing the HD4000 and limiting the settings instead of using the GeForce capabilities. And the stuck at loading issue is a common one.

sireloganelder 03-03-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afree100 (Post 8279651)

Install star conflict, and see the 3d quality of THAT compared to GPU but expecially GPU usage. then go back here.