Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Let Me Go - or - how to escape tractor beams? (closed, necro) (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=548671)

celticfistcoh 02-12-2013 12:37 PM

Let Me Go - or - how to escape tractor beams? (closed, necro)

I could use collective wisdom on how to deal with tractor beams. Zooming along in cuiser *ha* and enemy ship gets close and wham see that green trail from borg cube to my ship. I hit polarize hull and evasive action and pull free if those skills are ready. I would like to get a better understanding of how to more effectively deal or in some cases apply tractor beams effectively.

1) Limited range - I believe tractor beams have a range of 5-6km. So keeping your distance could be effective .. never get too close for them to catch you!

2) Polarize hull - science boff - grants resistance to tractor beam grabs but it does not set you fully free (wording of power needs to be changed). You might gain some small movement but without massive output from engines your still moving at crawl. Evasive action and polarize hull have let me squirm out from many tractor beams but when I had three tractor beams stacked on me it only gave me minimum movement. (Would an engine battery or Auxiliary to Dampers help with dealing with tractor beams?)

3) Attack Pattern Omega - not tried it but in reading it allows escapes or defense against tractor beams.

Besides the above method and blowing up the tractor beamer .. are there any other ways of dealing with tractor beams? thanks in advance

grouchyotaku 02-12-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by celticfistcoh (Post 8016271)
Besides the above method and blowing up the tractor beamer .. are there any other ways of dealing with tractor beams? thanks in advance

The Anti-Matter Spread Console will cause the target to abort a Tractor Beam attack, upon a successful sensor jam...

vinru821 02-12-2013 12:52 PM

well edited because I was a dummy lol

The new Dominion power, attack pattern gamma is like an attack pattern omega too.

I am sure there are more ways but I cannot think of them atm. I am sure the PVP people know.

radkip 02-12-2013 12:55 PM

Jam Sensors seemed to work for me when the game launched, but I haven't slotted that ability since I got a commander level ship (and attack pattern omega), so I couldn't tell you if that still works.

redricky 02-12-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinru821 (Post 8016571)
Pretty sure, emergency power to Aux works too

Gives you immunity to tractor beams and teleportation, as well as a turn rate and flight speed boost.

I think it boosts one more thing but I forget what it is at the moment.

This is most definitely incorrect. EPTA does none of the above.

Placating the target breaks TB. Jam Sensors, Rep passive, etc.

lordmalak1 02-12-2013 01:26 PM

APO most definitely still works but wonder if APO breaks gravatic anchor as well.

Anyone ?

generator88 02-12-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinru821 (Post 8016571)
Pretty sure, emergency power to Aux works too

Gives you immunity to tractor beams and teleportation, as well as a turn rate and flight speed boost.

I think it boosts one more thing but I forget what it is at the moment.

The new Dominion power, attack pattern gamma is like an attack pattern omega too.

I am sure there are more ways but I cannot think of them atm. I am sure the PVP people know.

You may be thinking of Aux to Inertial Dampeners, which helps, but I don't think actually breaks a tractor beam.

celticfistcoh 02-12-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grouchyotaku (Post 8016551)
The Anti-Matter Spread Console will cause the target to abort a Tractor Beam attack, upon a successful sensor jam...

Does the anti-matter spread have a chance to miss or is auto-hit?

vinru821 02-12-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by generator88 (Post 8017641)
You may be thinking of Aux to Inertial Dampeners, which helps, but I don't think actually breaks a tractor beam.

oh yes! you are right!

Ill go check the info on it. sorry!

f9thaceshigh 02-12-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by celticfistcoh (Post 8018801)
Does the anti-matter spread have a chance to miss or is auto-hit?

it's an AOE and hits every enemy target within 5 km.

I also use that Romulan rep cloaking power, Quantum Singularity Manipulation or whatever it is.