Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Nerf to tricobalt and Temporal Disruption Device (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=550921)

darramouss1 02-14-2013 08:58 AM

Nerf to tricobalt and Temporal Disruption Device

The new changes to tricobalt mines are the worst nerf I've seen in ages. One could argue that a 50% reduction in damage and a 50% in cooldown makes it fair. For those that use multiple tricobalt mines and dispersal patterns, the nerf in damage output is huge owing to the fact that the dispersal pattern cooldowns are unaffected. To be precise, the nerf results in a 37.5% reduction to your damage when using two launchers and Dispersal Pattern Beta III (DPB III).

Don't believe my 37.5% claim? OK. Let's assume that a tricobalt mine's old damage amount was 1,000 per mine and assuming that every mine hits, here are some examples using DPB III over a 60 second period. (I'm using 1,000 as it's an easy number to use.)

OLD SYSTEM WITH TWO MINE LAUNCHERS AND DPB III

Sample time = 60 secs
Mine launchers = 2
Mine damage = 1,000
Mine cooldown = 60 secs
Mine global cooldown = 30 secs
DPB III cooldown = 30 secs

Second 1 - Activate DPB III and first launcher. 4,000 damage output. First launcher cooldown = 60 secs, second launcher and DPB III = 30 secs.

Seconds 1-30 - Cooldowns ticking away.

Second 31 - Activate DPB III and second launcher. 4,000 damage output. Second launcher cooldown = 60 secs, first launcher and DPB III = 30 secs.

Seconds 31-60 Cooldowns ticking away, sample time ends.

TOTAL DAMAGE = 8,000

NEW SYSTEM WITH TWO MINE LAUNCHERS AND DPB III

Sample time = 60 secs
Mine launchers = 2
Mine damage = 500
Mine cooldown = 30 secs
Mine global cooldown = 15 secs

Second 1 - Activate DPB III and first launcher. 2,000 damage output. First launcher and DPB III cooldown = 30 secs, second launcher = 15 secs.

Seconds 1-15 - Cooldowns ticking away.

Second 16 - Fire second launcher. 500 damage output. Second launcher cooldown = 30 secs, first launcher and DPB III = 15 secs.

Seconds 16-30 - Cooldowns ticking away.

Second 31 - Activate DPB III and first launcher. 2,000 damage output. First launcher and DPB III cooldown = 30 secs, second launcher = 15 secs.

Seconds 31-45 - Cooldowns ticking away.

Second 46 - Fire second launcher. 500 damage output. Second launcher cooldown = 30 secs, first launcher and DPB III = 15 secs.

Seconds 46-60 Cooldowns ticking away, sample time ends.

TOTAL DAMAGE = 5,000

NEW SYSTEM WITH TWO MINE LAUNCHERS AND DPB III AND DPB II

Sample time = 60 secs
Mine launchers = 2
Mine damage = 500
Mine cooldown = 30 secs
Mine global cooldown = 15 secs

Second 1 - Activate DPB III and first launcher. 2,000 damage output. First launcher and DPB III cooldown = 30 secs, second launcher and DPB II = 15 secs.

Seconds 1-15 - Cooldowns ticking away.

Second 16 - Activate DPB II and fire second launcher. 1,500 damage output. Second launcher and DPB II cooldown = 30 secs, first launcher and DPB III = 15 secs.

Seconds 16-30 - Cooldowns ticking away.

Second 31 - Activate DPB III and first launcher. 2,000 damage output. First launcher and DPB III cooldown = 30 secs, second launcher and DPB II = 15 secs.

Seconds 31-45 - Cooldowns ticking away.

Second 46 - Activate DPB II and fire second launcher. 1,500 damage output. Second launcher and DPB II cooldown = 30 secs, first launcher and DPB III = 15 secs.

Seconds 46-60 Cooldowns ticking away, sample time ends.

TOTAL DAMAGE = 7,000

Using these figures it's clear that if you use two tricobalt mine launchers and DPB III you have just suffered a 37.5% damage reduction, the most incredible nerf I've seen to date. By taking a valuable Lt Cmdr tactical ability and replacing it with DPB II you can reduce your damage loss to 12.5%.

I'm sorry, but this sort of nerf just has not been thought through.

To make matters worse, it appears that on Tribble the Temporal Disruption Device has had its damage output halved but the cooldown remains the same. For an item that I paid 200 lobi for, this is not acceptable. As a premium item they should be at least equal in power to the most powerful non-premium items. Now the Temporal Disruption Device is only half as useful as a tricobalt torpedo. This weakens the Temporal set, a 600 lobi investment. This has NOT been thought through.

Cryptic, these changes render the tricobalt mines and Temporal Disruption Devices useless. This is just as bad as when Emergency Power to Shields and Reverse Shield Polarity started cooldowns on each other. These need to be changed back at once.

Please note that this post adheres to all forum rules. (Yes, it sure does :) Thank you and I'll make sure to pass this feedback along. -Brandon)

starlanced 02-14-2013 09:07 AM

I agree, I don't use tricobolts much but I spent the 200 lobi for the TDD (Temporal Disruption Device) and again it sits in my bank never to be used, it should be a choniton torpedo and have nothing to do with tricobolts!

Never mind the fact that 95% of the time the target is dead and the torpedo is 3/4 the way there, and that's a standard launch not a heavy.

Like I mentioned it my other post (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...01&postcount=7) at least make it as fast as the Romulan torps with damage to scale.

themarie 02-14-2013 09:08 AM

I agree that the Temporal Disruption Device needs to be restored IMMEDIATELY -- I paid good money for that set I expect it to give me an "edge" over the regular options.

I'm not worried about the regular Trico nerf, as I will simply adapt to the new play-style... however nerfing the TDD that bad needs to be undone. Quickly too. As I said I paid for the device... It should have premium performance.

If you don't fix it, well I will adapt as I said... however I will be considerably less likely to pay into the system going forward. If I pay for a premium device or weapon I expect it to retain it's "value" without suffering such a severe and unwarranted nerf.

shar487a 02-14-2013 09:15 AM

Has anyone tested how this latest change affects other high-yield destructable torpedoes? Given how the TCD change has also negatively impacted TDD's, I would not be surprised if high yield plasmas are similarly compromised.

toneyboy 02-14-2013 09:31 AM

I also concur, Lobi Items should NEVER see changes, those are paid items and to change them is really, really, should i add, really, bad consumer acknoledgement.

I am a lifetime subscription member since launch, i use the lobi store quite a lot (mainly because i think it helps the money flow in game to keep it a good one).

I have never put so much money in a game and got such bad return. It's like buying a car and having the dealership get it back 6 months later for a "tuneup", to have it return with a halfed sized engine...

I play StarKraft II, it costs 45$, is updated as much as sto with patches, and i've played it for as long.

Do I really need to stop playing/PAYING this game ? ...

My choice is tipping more and more away from this marketing-model they have been pushing with f2p

Now don't get me wrong, i really do like this game, that's why i'm online everyday for a few hours... But there are limits to make fun of people & their money.

Hope they keep up this good game and revert changes to Lobi items :-)

PS:sorry for my bad writting, I live up north in French speaking Qu?bec ;-)

Update:

Thanks to the dev team / bug hunters for the reverted change on the TDD.

By the way, I still use my Tricobalt Mine Launcher, I still find it usefull, less so on big targets, but definitively better against smaller foes.

nigel2751 02-14-2013 09:40 AM

the problem is its always the player that as the Nerf what about the STF gate with its invisible torpedo that one hits everyone.
why is this invisible torpedo not available to players .
plasma as always been the least of favorite weapon sets due to the fact there's far to many defenses against plasma but the Borg do over kill.
i used Tricobalt over the time to fight the Borg on my STF runs due to the fact it could hit hard but now as killed that approach.
i also use the new plasma rep sets i do like but find they don't do enough damage
problem we always face new stuff comes out it gets tested on tribble server and should be if at all nerf before it comes to the hollow deck that's what tribble server is used for so to start nerfing stuff in the hollow deck just disapoints everyone.
and tricoblot was nerfed a few week ago now nerfed again that is so bad looks like we gonna have to take knives to gun fight

eisenw0lf 02-14-2013 09:43 AM

Back to Pre-Season 6 I see, when mines were downright laughable.

qinnux 02-14-2013 09:43 AM

the tricobalt part also pissed me off...

it was never about "dps" - it was the spike damage.

Why should i waste my slots now on tricobalt that only do half the damage, regardless of cooldown, since it will STILL only disperse 4 mines. with dispersal III.

I could simply use plasma mines and get way less cooldown, similar damage and TWELWE mines with dispersal III.

SO right now they look like one of the weakest mines in game.

Unless the "nerf" also includes a boost from 4 to 8 mines or 2 mines without dispersal.

bunt01 02-14-2013 09:49 AM

Theirs an old saying why fix something that is not broke .
like we gonna have to fight the Borg with toothpicks and wet sponges

wraithshadow13 02-14-2013 09:54 AM

I really don't like that they nerfed the TDD, especially seeing how it wasn't doing that much for me in the first place. Plus as some one stated earlier, if i'm using a currency like lobi, the items i'm buying should be better than some of the base options. I do think that since they're nerfing tricobalts as well they need to change the cool downs to compensate for the loss of damage as well as if something is being nerfed for players than something needs to be done about the NPC weapons as well. An invisible torpedo (normal, not buffed) shouldn't be hitting me for 42k with my shields up, yet in STFs, it happens a lot.