Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Fleet PvP Territory Control Idea (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=551061)

thefastone21 02-14-2013 09:06 AM

Fleet PvP Territory Control Idea

Basically I was checking out Perfect World when I looked at the map it showed regions of the world controlled by player factions.

Perfect World Player Factions

Now would something like that work here, each fleet has a chance to "own" a sector which another fleet can "arrange" to attack at a certain time, should the attacking fleet win the territory falls under their control, should they lose it remains to the defending fleet.

STO Territorial Map (forgive my poor paint skills)

Pelia Sector
Cardassian Sector
Vulcan Sector

Value = Owning a certain area grants special fleet projects / unlocks
Level (lvl) = The Tier requirement for owning a certain area of space (aka Undine 5, Borg 4, Cardassian/Deferi 3, Romulan 2, KDF/Fed 1)
Held by = Whomever hold the sector block

Perfect world uses colors to represent what factions own whats, maybe the fleet symbol could work here?

Challenging a fleet for control of X sector

Now im not sure how it works in Perfect World (game) but im told the attackers can select a time they wish to attack which is long enough for the both fleets to prepare.

At X time both fleets enter an arena choosen by the attacker (space or ground) they then duke it out until one fleet emerges the victor.

Rewards/Unlocks:

Maybe give each sector its own reward, with the additon of Fleet Marks.

I.E.

Controlling the Bajor Sector gives your fleet Bajoran Bonuses (Doffs/Boffs)
Controlling the Pelia Sector may give your fleet a bonus when fighting the Undine, or maybe the Hylasa/Gek'li decide to hover around your starbase

How can Cryptic Raid our wallets

You can make some project that unlocks a token or w/e so we can attack X block

or

Do X project while on control of Y system so we're forced to control X block for whatever time to get the goodies from the project unlock.

Anyway.. discuss... hate.. like.. rage cos you're a pver in the pvp thread?

magniacapra 02-14-2013 09:12 AM

Territorial warfare is ****, and has no place in a casual mmo.

thay8472 02-14-2013 09:14 AM

Could be fun.

dontdrunkimshoot 02-14-2013 10:04 AM

the galaxy map needs redrawing so that there are neutral zone sector blocks for something like this

shar487a 02-14-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magniacapra (Post 8052291)
Territorial warfare is ****, and has no place in a casual mmo.

I think territorial warfare would be nice! I had a good taste of it in Guild Wars 1 and Global Agenda, and it was one of the best features of both games. Yes, uber players roll-stomping casuals can be an issue, but it would add more immersion into the Fed vs. KDF story-line. Such combat can be split over multiple instances to keep teams balanced, and match results determine where the territorial border line shifts through the contested zones.

shar487a 02-14-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot (Post 8054351)
the galaxy map needs redrawing so that there are neutral zone sector blocks for something like this

Yes, a revised Neutral Zone would need to be re-drafted to support territorial PVP. Incentives like exclusive vendors would encourage players to support war efforts, and split match instances would insure that teams remain even no matter how lopsided the Fed vs. KDF player base gets. :D

thay8472 02-14-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shar487a (Post 8054481)
Yes, a revised Neutral Zone would need to be re-drafted to support territorial PVP. Incentives like exclusive vendors would encourage players to support war efforts, and split match instances would insure that teams remain even no matter how lopsided the Fed vs. KDF player base gets. :D

They could let us do fed vs fed inside ... fed space... we can say its a "tactical execerise" bla bla bla

edalgo 02-15-2013 01:13 PM

Kinda of like a large Cap and Hold with sector space in between Cap points. Kerrat on steroids!

shar487a 02-15-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thay8472 (Post 8054841)
They could let us do fed vs fed inside ... fed space... we can say its a "tactical execerise" bla bla bla

Yes, this too... though making fleet vs. fleet maps can get dicey since dedicated PVP'ers would have a decided advantage over casuals.