Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   STO needs more LCARS (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=551351)

jumpingjs 02-14-2013 10:35 AM

STO needs more LCARS

It needs a more "LCARSy" feel. At the moment it is just whatever is going on a blue buttons. Where is the zazzy yellow and scary reds (at red alert)

Pictures of LCARS displays just in case you do not know what I mean

From Nemesis which I quite like
Another one

What I am trying to say is we need different colours to make it feel more like Trek and perhaps some of the patterns.

jengoz 02-14-2013 10:42 AM

I think it needs more COWBELL!

sorry had to. But I agree, a UI that looks more Star Trek like! that would make this more like a real trek game!

syberghost 02-14-2013 10:49 AM

They've got somebody working on more LCARS for the UI.

jengoz 02-14-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syberghost (Post 8056191)

TOP MEN, no doubt.

zerobang 02-14-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syberghost (Post 8056191)

yepp... the same dude who made the *new signs on ESD* !

*not sure if i should be excited or worried about this*
...and apparently it is just a visual update, not a code update, so the high framerate cost of the UI running on one CPU Core slowing everything else down is not solved by this update either.

...at least if i interpret dStahls vague info scraps on this topic correct.

shar487a 02-14-2013 11:00 AM

LCARS looks nice, but in practice it cluttered up my old smart phone screen very badly :( Certain buttons were often difficult to locate quickly.

syberghost 02-14-2013 11:01 AM

ThomasTheCat, actually, so yeah; top men.

jengoz 02-14-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syberghost (Post 8056761)
ThomasTheCat, actually, so yeah; top men.

oh, the sign guy?

jumpingjs 02-14-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shar487a (Post 8056671)
LCARS looks nice, but in practice it cluttered up my old smart phone screen very badly :( Certain buttons were often difficult to locate quickly.

Not for mine ... mine is just better with LCARS and I just remember where the buttons are for what apps and stuff

zerobang 02-14-2013 11:21 AM

if that ESD sign incident has shown one thing, then it is that if you change something that people are used to (in case of the UI 3 years now) it can either be really awesome, or go really really bad.

All i would ask for is for this to be developed in front of the players so we can give live feedback and influence where it goes before it goes in a wrong direction somewhere that might not be changeable later.

Throwing a finished job in our face might go either way, no matter how awesome the Dev's think it is.

You know those people that made the Windows 8 UI are real proud of themself too... *never ever gonna touch that %$%*