Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Swearing in Trek (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=552561)

silverjdgmntdrgn 02-14-2013 07:56 PM

Swearing in Trek

This is probably going to sound like a strange question but hiw far should one go when having a character swear?

I ask this because I write a short story series based off of my STO crew and often I have my captain swear. I'm just never sure which words are fitting for this canon. I've had characters drop "damn" and "hell" but I'm not sure how much farther to take it.

Thought I would ask and see what kind of concensus I could get.

jkstocbr 02-14-2013 07:59 PM

Also quite acceptable is ... "Double dumb-ass on you"

wraithshadow13 02-14-2013 08:05 PM

Data dropped an S-grenade during one of the films, but that's the worst i can recall. Beyond that you could say what ever you want in klingon or romulan or such since most people wouldn't bother translating it.

silverjdgmntdrgn 02-14-2013 08:48 PM

Thanks, though Unfortunately, the majority if the main cast are not any if those, but I will certainly keep that in mind as I do have a Romulan "villain" in the works (not so much as the bad guy but they are the source of conflict).

rovakiin 02-14-2013 08:53 PM

... petaQ! :D

centersolace 02-14-2013 09:59 PM

Yeah, the S word in generations is about the worst it got. Personally, a fun writing challenge is to see how you can get around swearing. :P

wildthyme467989 02-14-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by centersolace (Post 8076491)
Yeah, the S word in generations is about the worst it got. Personally, a fun writing challenge is to see how you can get around swearing. :P

You forget Miles O'Brien in the DS9 Ep Time's Orphan, he used a certain 8 letter B word that is unrepeatable here

crashdragon 02-14-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by centersolace (Post 8076491)
Yeah, the S word in generations is about the worst it got.

Heard worse in the ST bloopers on YouTube. =3

dma1986 02-14-2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildthyme467989 (Post 8077551)
You forget Miles O'Brien in the DS9 Ep Time's Orphan, he used a certain 8 letter B word that is unrepeatable here

The one that means testicles? Doesn't surprise me, it seems to have been in regular use in quite a few pre-watershed shows from the mid-to-late 90s. Spike saying it quite a bit in Buffy comes to mind.

OP, as far as I'm concerned, use any language you like. Maybe stick a parental advisory warning or something in the top of the description if it really bothers you.

silverjdgmntdrgn 02-15-2013 12:06 AM

I do try and keep the stories to about a PG-13 or so, which means I can be fairly liberal with words. The one O'Brien says might be something the captain in the stories tosses out every so often: he has a fascination with pirates (think more Jolly Roger than Somalian). My main concern is more keeping it in the verbal canon of the series. There have been times the F bomb has, to me, seemed appropriate but it's not a word heard tossed around (aside from the bloopers).