Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Sto, does it feel like star trek? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=555651)

elandarksky 02-16-2013 02:53 PM

Sto, does it feel like star trek?

(sorry if this shouldnt be in T-F)

But there is something that has been running through my head ^^

Sto is heavily combat related, and the way starfleet handles situations in STO feels odd O.o

'There is an enemy presence in the area... KILL 5 groups of ships, then a bigger ship that is leading them'

Its diplomacy at its... wait WAH!? O_O

After rewatching some episodes of another sci-fi (scared of naming) -something-scape :P

STO's federation feels more like "" keepers of peace"" keeping order with the assistance of a gun :D

Anyone else feel it? ^^

hypl 02-16-2013 03:09 PM

The way I see it, if you have absolutely NO imagination, you're going to hate this game if you're a fan of Star Trek. Me? I have imagination, so I don't have much issues with STO. I also can clearly understand that this is a VIDEO GAME, and NOT A SIMULATOR.

So, when a mission involves an unusual amount of killing, that mission is reinterpreted in my head when I play out the story of my ship, my captain, and my crew. In this game, it's war time, and I try my best to reinterpret those events so that they make sense Trek-wise.

In fact, until Cryptic advances the story more, I already have an idea of how "The Long War" plays out and its lasting repercussions throughout the major quadrants of the galaxy. I'm sure many other people have ideas of their own as well. The ability to take what Cryptic has made and to incorporate it into my own story is one of the main reasons I keep playing.

sparklysoldier 02-16-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypl (Post 8121141)
The way I see it, if you have absolutely NO imagination, you're going to hate this game if you're a fan of Star Trek. Me? I have imagination, so I don't have much issues with STO. I also can clearly understand that this is a VIDEO GAME, and NOT A SIMULATOR.

So, when a mission involves an unusual amount of killing, that mission is reinterpreted in my head when I play out the story of my ship, my captain, and my crew. In this game, it's war time, and I try my best to reinterpret those events so that they make sense Trek-wise.

In fact, until Cryptic advances the story more, I already have an idea of how "The Long War" plays out and its lasting repercussions throughout the major quadrants of the galaxy. I'm sure many other people have ideas of their own as well. The ability to take what Cryptic has made and to incorporate it into my own story is one of the main reasons I keep playing.

Exactly. You have to make some concessions to the game being an MMO, like your character getting their own command in jaw-droppingly record time (though still not as much as 2009 Kirk did! :P) or buying supplies from Starfleet with currency. Just take the story as being told through a gameplay filter: when the mission is something like "defeat the Klingon squadrons," we can assume the characters did try hailing them in the hopes of resolving things peacefully, but it didn't work. Gameplay conventions aside, STO actually feels more like Trek to me than any other Trek game I've played (admittedly not very many). I was skeptical at first about Star Trek making a good MMO since the best Trek episodes aren't usually about combat, but I think the missions here do a pretty good job of making it feel like your crew's having weekly TNG-style adventures. :)

kain9prime 02-16-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

This should be engraved in gold.

:cool:

kurtthecheeseman 02-16-2013 05:20 PM

Feels a lot like Star Trek to me.

twg042370 02-16-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Hear hear.

LARPing must still be around. They can try that.

jexsamx 02-16-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Truly you are a sage, sir.

lukeminherexx 02-16-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

I know it was already quoted, but kudos. This nails it. You have the platform and especially the visual aid to allow your imagination to do the rest. I am not saying that they could not make some missions more peace keeping, without the fight scene, but most people play games for the action.
If you do not already, consider writing stories based on your character to fill in where the "video game" really cannot. It is what I do, and it is very satisfying. Just a suggestion.

Good luck! :)

doogie74 02-16-2013 07:37 PM

Star Trek has a history of war. You just did not see it much in the movies or TV series. We just saw glimpses of one ship or one crew, DS9.

Look at the war that was going on in DS9. We did not see much of a fight they did have some episodes but yet there were constant reminders the Federation was at war and there were a lot of people dying in the war. Also, in a lot of episodes the Enterprise or Voyager was in fights with enemy ships.

Yes, this feels like Star Trek even with the constant fighting.

sjokruhlica 02-16-2013 07:55 PM

This game will feel as much like Trek as you make it out to be. Like the previous poster said, it takes imagination. Different people take different things from ST, so it should be no surprise there are so many play styles. You can join a fleet, be social, role play, or fly around blowing stuff up. It's what you make of it.