Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Space Minefield dil/gear PVE needs to be revised. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=556371)

cmdrskyfaller 02-17-2013 07:49 AM

Space Minefield dil/gear PVE needs to be revised.
 
This mission gives 1st/2nd/3rd place only to ships with dps. In fact, the mission seems to take raw dps and is modified in a minor way by mission objectives completed.


Case in point:

A single very high damage DPS ship can zoom around and kill only the frigates then zoom to the mining facilities and kill ships and finally go hit the final boss cruiser and kill it FULLY before the rest of the team arrives (boss dies as ridiculously fast as the ISS STADI dies now in mirror event...within seconds of spawning).

1st place guaranteed.

A ship that goes around, rescues ALL the freighters then fixes ALL THE MINES, kills a few frigates and ships and helps damage the final boss....

not even third place.

With a premade team I went in and had them all sit and watch. Aggroed all the ships and did a lot of damage with feedback pulse (no weapon fire from me) for nearly 5 minutes then team came and blasted the ships out in one pass.

Same with mining facility. I did not fix mines nor rescue freighters. All I did was sit, take damage and reflect it. TONS OF IT. I did not KILL A SINGLE SHIP. My team killed them and fixed the mines.

1st place.


That is royally messed up. The whole reward/ranking system is based on total dps not on the actual contribution to the map. Its no wonder jemhadar bugs/kdf siege mode ship (forget their name) and defiants go into these mission and just spam aoe not caring about fixing anything. They just run ahead of everyone to add up DPS to get 1st place.


This needs to be fixed and NOW.

Mission objectives should count as the bulk of what determines the ranking system. DPS should be the LEAST influencing factor in scoring. The final boss needs to be made as tough as the borg elite tac cube in elite stf and it should stay within the range of the tractor emitters (all of them) to make the tractor emitters count towards the mission objective (and make THEM hard to kill too).

x1ann0x 02-18-2013 03:31 AM

I agree. It seems really... odd... that something that is supposed to be a team effort gives individual rewards. As far as I'm concerned, the entire team should receive the same rewards, and they should be based on time taken to complete and number of respawns.

havam 02-18-2013 03:35 AM

This is working as intended since Season 2. It's unfair and doesn't make any sense. But don't get your hopes up that any pve content in this game will ever be different.

Just delete you engs, dump your cruisers and join the escorts online paradigm.

Who in their right mind would want to fly iconic IP ships in a ST mmo?!??!

twam 02-18-2013 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x1ann0x (Post 8146011)
I agree. It seems really... odd... that something that is supposed to be a team effort gives individual rewards. As far as I'm concerned, the entire team should receive the same rewards, and they should be based on time taken to complete and number of respawns.

^
This.

In these missions it's a race to blow up as many enemies in as little time as possible, preferably denying your team members their kills in the process.

I find myself alpha striking things that other players have just lined up their shots for, just to make sure they don't get the damage count for those ships - and feel kind of bad about it afterwards, because I know it annoys me to no end if people do that when I'm running a cruiser/sci ship.

The thing is, more stats can easily be tracked, as demonstrated in the PvP scoring tables and the various damage-taken and -healed accolades. So, even if scoring based on team-wide effort is out of the question, it should be doable to create a scoring method that is slightly fairer to people flying non-escorts or Kar'fi's.

burstorion 02-18-2013 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twam (Post 8146291)
^
This.

In these missions it's a race to blow up as many enemies in as little time as possible, preferably denying your team members their kills in the process.

I find myself alpha striking things that other players have just lined up their shots for, just to make sure they don't get the damage count for those ships - and feel kind of bad about it afterwards, because I know it annoys me to no end if people do that when I'm running a cruiser/sci ship.

The thing is, more stats can easily be tracked, as demonstrated in the PvP scoring tables and the various damage-taken and -healed accolades. So, even if scoring based on team-wide effort is out of the question, it should be doable to create a scoring method that is slightly fairer to people flying non-escorts or Kar'fi's.

If I designed Gorn minefields reward structure it would be the following:

Ditch this stupid 'competetive teamwork' thing - Its rediculous, everyone should be rewarded for the mission equally as it is a team effort, no matter what the devs seem to think..

However, base the team rewards on a new factor:

-Deaths incurred
-heals given by others
-Time taken (based on type of ships in match - 5 escorts would get less time to get the top prize than say, 4 cruisers and a sci ship)
-bonuses, such as taking out x aceton assimilators (maybe customised to really punish using energy weapons on them, ect), or wiping out x amount of carrier pets, catching x targets in one grav well,


Just spitballing ideas but sto needs to ditch this competetive teamwork dps race it seems fixated upon and introduce new ways to rewarding those who do the tasks few else do and so make a good chunk of stos many modes more viable and rewarding for others

hereticknight085 02-18-2013 05:02 AM

Don't get your hopes up. PvE in most games is DPS based. This is no different. Nor is it likely to change. End result: he who pew pews the most, WINS.

kgnothingg 02-18-2013 07:40 AM

I'm an ENG in a cruiser and i get 1st place 4 out 5 times. This mission never bothered me before and I don't think it's entirely a DPS ranking for it.

causalityeffect 02-18-2013 09:21 AM

Easy solution: Remove the competition element entirely and treat it like the STFs.

Complete the objectives - Get an individual loot bag - leave
If you want to be clever make the rewards based on the entire team's score with an individual loot bag for each member of the team.

cmdrskyfaller 02-18-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgnothingg (Post 8149461)
I'm an ENG in a cruiser and i get 1st place 4 out 5 times. This mission never bothered me before and I don't think it's entirely a DPS ranking for it.

Thats probably because you're spamming AOE attacks at full wep power and rushing from one spawn to the other.

DPS is the defining top factor... confirmed through testing.

vesolc 02-18-2013 01:02 PM

No Bug you win:D


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:29 PM.