Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Windows and General: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=401)
-   -   Possible Workaround for the 10gb Patch Problem (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=55718)

Archived Post 01-11-2010 07:36 PM

Possible Workaround for the 10gb Patch Problem

If you ordered from D2D and downloaded the zip file, the updater may be trying to download a 10GB patch for no reason. I had this problem too, then realized that the hogg files were missing from when I first extracted them and installed the game.

After uncompressing the files the first time:

Step 1. Install the game once.

Step 2. Check if the pigg folder is empty after installation. I believe that the installer is cutting and pasting the files rather than copying.

Step 3. Unzip the pigg folder a second time, to the same location as the setup.exe.

Step 4. Run the installer again to the same location. It will see that there are hogg files already in your install folder and proceed to install them onto an application data folder.

Step 5. Run the patcher again and see if it is still trying to download the 10GB patch. After I did these steps, it allowed me to launch the game right away, so I could tweak my video and audio settings to my liking.

Ta Da! :D

Archived Post 01-11-2010 07:51 PM

what if i used the D2D client and didnt unzip antthing...and still installed it

Archived Post 01-11-2010 07:52 PM

You have to unzip it first, otherwise I think it will only install the launcher which will try to download all the files for the game from the patch servers.

Archived Post 01-11-2010 07:53 PM

i am not finding the zipped file all i find is an already unzipped one it isnt giving me the option to unzip it.

Archived Post 01-11-2010 07:54 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Did you unzip the one file that you downloaded from D2D?

Archived Post 01-11-2010 07:57 PM

I used the client that D2D uses, when it finished downloading i hit the Play button in the D2D download manager and did not unzip any file, and now there is no Ziipped file anywhere when i search for one.

Archived Post 01-11-2010 08:00 PM

Oh I see what you mean. The best way to get the zipped version is to use an unsupported browser such as Google Chrome to force a HTTP download where you can save it wherever you want.

Archived Post 01-11-2010 08:03 PM

so ur sayin i should not use the client and download it again?

Archived Post 01-11-2010 08:06 PM

Yeah, Don't use the client, cause it seems very nit-picky about where it saves things even though you can resume using it. Sometimes it doesn't save things properly either, due to the resume feature.

Archived Post 01-11-2010 08:30 PM

Can I get a sticky please? Seems like the "Move" feature to save file space on the installer is actually creating more problems than helping. Maybe if it did the "Move" for the application data install it would be fine.