Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Windows and General: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=401)
-   -   anywhere else to download??? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=55782)

Archived Post 01-11-2010 07:18 PM

anywhere else to download???

So i got a beta key from game stop. tried to DL from file planet and after 3 hours it has completed 300mb. I am trying the STO downloader but its not much better. my comp can handle the DL and I have a good internet connection. at this rate it will literally take all week to DL. what are we supposed to do?

is there anywhere else to dl this thing from?

Archived Post 01-11-2010 07:42 PM

We are still working with additional partner sites to get download mirrors up. Just watch the /download page, we will add them there are they are ready. The torrent downloader should speed up as more people have more blocks available.

Archived Post 01-11-2010 07:44 PM

Is there any reason why the STO downloader doesn't continue where it left off instead of starting over from scratch again?

Archived Post 01-11-2010 07:56 PM

Quote:

Is there any reason why the STO downloader doesn't continue where it left off instead of starting over from scratch again?
As long as you give it the same folder, it does. You will see a "Processing" step as it re-checksums all the downloaded files, and then it will keep chugging along.

Archived Post 01-11-2010 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incindir
So i got a beta key from game stop. tried to DL from file planet and after 3 hours it has completed 300mb. I am trying the STO downloader but its not much better. my comp can handle the DL and I have a good internet connection. at this rate it will literally take all week to DL. what are we supposed to do?

is there anywhere else to dl this thing from?

Im having the same problem, and cant get ahold of cryptic for support

Archived Post 01-11-2010 07:58 PM

Man...I hope you guys find something. I have calculators that have faster DL rates. This is silly stupid slow.

Archived Post 01-11-2010 08:10 PM

Yeah I'm using the STO downloader and it hits around 28% then stops downloading. I'm assuming it's just the amount of people d/ling, so hopefully it'll work better later on tonight, or early morning hours.

Archived Post 01-11-2010 08:41 PM

Try games.on.net

http://games.on.net/file/31515/Star_...ient_v20091228

After you install, 1.3GB patch left.

** there could be issues with patching after this... i'm not certain, however.

Archived Post 01-11-2010 08:55 PM

My concern is that when I run in the installer I am uploading more information to Cryptic than I am downloading???!!!! What is going on? The uploads are going to different IP's and the dl is killing my 7mb dsl connection.

Archived Post 01-11-2010 09:14 PM

I'm going to go ahead and assume that there's no way to pay five bucks or something and get the beta client on CD-ROM. My download is also moving at a glacial pace, and that's even using the torrent option. This is the same beef I've always had with WoW- you spend literally days downloading patches, and by the time that's done, you're so fed up you don't even care about playing the game. I understand that because the beta just opened, there are mobs of people trying to download the client, but shouldn't this have been planned for? They've been hyping this for a while.

I'm going to be pretty unimpressed if I get the full release come 2/2 and still have to spend hours downloading a couple gigs worth of patches for it. I've always had a hard time understanding why it's difficult or impossible to just order the patches on a CD somehow, too. I'd be happy to pay a nominal fee to do that if it meant that I didn't have to tie up my internet connection for days at a time- right now, my torrent client is telling me that this thing is going to take four to six days to download. The game will practically be officially released by then!

Madness.

ETA: Okay, now it's saying it's going to take two years to finish downloading. Really, guys? This is just a little nuts. I've gotta ask, should I be expecting a few gigs worth of patches when release day rolls around? Because if so, my first reaction is to go ahead and cancel my preorder. I don't want to, given how long I've been looking forward to this, but this is pretty crazy.