Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Windows and General: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=401)
-   -   Can we order a disc with the download on it? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=55891)

Archived Post 01-11-2010 08:12 PM

and yes my internet sucks!!!

Archived Post 01-11-2010 08:13 PM

Can we order a disc with the download on it?

Just talked to my ISP which is Sattelite. They told me i wouldn't be able to download the whole thing it would take several days. Thats because of their Fair act policy if we go over that we do not get on the internet for 24 hrs. So Can we order a disc of this download stuff and the patch so we can play?

Archived Post 01-11-2010 08:15 PM

Not as far as I know of, however, do you have any libraries near you? They usually provide free Wi-fi access, if you have a laptop, that is.. Otherwise you're pretty much out of luck I think, unless theres a player that you trust that is willing to send you a copy on a DVD or something.

Archived Post 01-12-2010 02:58 PM

I was asking the same thing yesterday, and from what I can gather, there's no option to buy a CD with the download on it and have it sent to you. It drives me nuts that so few companies that run MMOs offer this as an option for customers; I had similar problems when I tried to get started playing WoW- glacial download speeds, huge patch files, overloaded download servers... and when I asked tech support at Blizzard about getting a CD, they admitted that it was sometimes an option, but that they wouldn't allow people to request it. Apparently, the decision to send out a CD with the necessary patches to, y'know, play the game you paid for was solely the domain of tech support. After a few fantasies about sending my monthly payment to Blizzard one penny at a time, since that's about how fast I was getting the stuff necessary to play their game, I ended up canceling my subscription.

I'm a huge Trek fan, and while I understand that this is the beta, so problems are to be expected, it concerns me that Cryptic didn't anticipate this level of popularity and take some steps to at least make the downloading of the game a bit easier. I really, really hope that this isn't a sign of things to come, and I'm not going to be impressed if I end up with a game that's virtually unplayable because I can't get gigs worth of patches because the servers are swamped. I preordered this largely because of access to the beta, and now it's looking like I'll be shafted on that because Cryptic couldn't be better prepared for the massive interest this game has generated or even offer something as simple as a CD for people to order in lieu of wrestling with these downloads. That would have mitigated some of the strain on the servers and make it easier for people to get their hands on the beta.

Archived Post 01-12-2010 03:07 PM

There is indeed an option to pay for a DVD to be sent to you, but that would the retail DVD and they won't be available until the 2nd.

Archived Post 01-12-2010 03:17 PM

Just as a quick note also about your type of internet connection. Sattelite is TERRIBLE for any online gaming because of it's really high latency. Have you ever played online games with it before? It must be like a slide show...

Any retailer, as previously posted, should have the game on DVD.

Archived Post 01-12-2010 03:22 PM

My Family uses satillite and we where able to play WoW just fine. Its in the download area we have problems.

Archived Post 01-12-2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderanger
There is indeed an option to pay for a DVD to be sent to you, but that would the retail DVD and they won't be available until the 2nd.

Which doesn't really help those of us who preordered specifically for access to the beta/head start. If your servers weren't up to handling this volume of people all trying to download the beta, maybe it shouldn't have been quite so widely advertised specifically as a reason to preorder the game. The fact that it was is no fault of the customers that have responded to your advertising. As it is, I've already shelled out seven bucks to File Planet to expedite the download somewhat; I would have happily given that money to Cryptic if it meant getting a disc with the beta files on it (heck, I'd have paid ten for that). I'm also left wondering whether I should expect the same, glacial download speeds when future patches are released (and that's ignoring all of the booting and queuing issues people seem to be having once they actually get the files they need to try and play).

And to be honest, I don't really appreciate snark from a representative for a company to whom I'm going to be giving a decent chunk of money (especially when you consider the monthly fees) in order to play this game, especially in light of what a disaster the distribution of this beta seems to have been thus far. If this is indicative of the level of customer service I can expect in the future, I've got to say, I'm pretty unimpressed. The download issues are annoying, but somewhat understandable.Coupled with the attitude in your post, though, I'm definitely rethinking my purchase, and I'll bet I'm not the only one.

Archived Post 01-12-2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FaustianSlip

And to be honest, I don't really appreciate snark from a representative for a company to whom I'm going to be giving a decent chunk of money (especially when you consider the monthly fees) in order to play this game, especially in light of what a disaster the distribution of this beta seems to have been thus far. If this is indicative of the level of customer service I can expect in the future, I've got to say, I'm pretty unimpressed. The download issues are annoying, but somewhat understandable.Coupled with the attitude in your post, though, I'm definitely rethinking my purchase, and I'll bet I'm not the only one.

I have to agree here. That was an unnecessarily brusque comment from a Dev in regards to a serious question from a user looking to receive the services he paid for (as this was part of preordering the game). And as said, does not help with either wanting to play their beta slot, or in fact their headstart. The rudeness was uncalled for.

To address the original poster's problem. Try using a torrent instead as it allows you to stop and restart as needed as to not violate your ISP's more annoying policies.

Archived Post 01-12-2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korvin
Any retailer, as previously posted, should have the game on DVD.

Which will be great once release day rolls around, but Cryptic is advertising (through all of these retailers) that you should preorder the game so that you can get access to the beta and get a head start on your character. Unsurprisingly to most of us (except, it would seem, to Cryptic), people responded enthusiastically and preordered from various sources to get the beta code. I know that was what prompted me to bother with a preorder when I could have just waited and wandered into GameStop on 2/2 and bought the game then. The fact that Cryptic didn't seem to plan for such a huge surge of people trying to access their servers is raising some justifiable questions from people who are spending hours trying to get the beta client. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to wonder whether this apparent lack of preparation on Cryptic's part is an indicator of what to expect when the official release drops (or when it's necessary to download patches in the future).

And all of that aside, Coderanger's reply was not only unhelpful, it was unnecessarily sarcastic and condescending, and as an employee of the company to whom I'm giving my money, I would have hoped he'd be able to restrain himself. That was pretty out of order. If you have nothing nice to say, and all of that.