Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Shipyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Multi-Mission Explorer - Engineering Version (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=559461)

dashuk2381 02-19-2013 02:50 PM

Multi-Mission Explorer - Engineering Version

I was under the impression that the Vesta was mostly a science ship, as after taking a look at the different variations, plus the fact the cannons rely on AUX power, it seems like it would be more something up the Science captain's alley.

However I am thinking about trying out the Engineering version. I don't really feel like spending the $$$ on the 3 pack so was wondering if anyone had tried this ship out with their Engineering captain and how they used the cannons? Personally I don't like the idea of having to dedicate anything to AUX on my Engineer. However the ship seems to have decent stats and looks like it could be a viable tank while still doing some decent DPS.

Basically I am just bored after having gone through 3-4 diferent ships at end game and wanted to try something shiny and new. I'm loving the Ambassador Retro-fit right now, but wanted to see thoughts on the Vesta class.

lianthelia 02-19-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dashuk2381 (Post 8186731)
I was under the impression that the Vesta was mostly a science ship, as after taking a look at the different variations, plus the fact the cannons rely on AUX power, it seems like it would be more something up the Science captain's alley.

However I am thinking about trying out the Engineering version. I don't really feel like spending the $$$ on the 3 pack so was wondering if anyone had tried this ship out with their Engineering captain and how they used the cannons? Personally I don't like the idea of having to dedicate anything to AUX on my Engineer. However the ship seems to have decent stats and looks like it could be a viable tank while still doing some decent DPS.

Basically I am just bored after having gone through 3-4 diferent ships at end game and wanted to try something shiny and new. I'm loving the Ambassador Retro-fit right now, but wanted to see thoughts on the Vesta class.

I wouldn't really suggest tanking with the thing, if your looking for a science ship to tank in I would go for the nebula.

But if your looking to tank in a Vesta and your only going to buy one I would probably go with the sci one. The console will make a much nicer tank ability and the +5 to shields wouldn't really mean much.

tom61sto 02-19-2013 05:06 PM

It worked decently well on my Engineer. I'd go for the Aventine over the Rademaker, if getting only one on a Eng, for the extra damage it can output with 4 Tac slots.

I'm not sure why you want to avoid Aux beyond possibly Nadeon Inversion becoming less useful, but you can mount normal cannons to it instead if you like. I didn't have any trouble running an Aux heavy build to keep the Commander Sci and the Aux cannons well powered, but my Eng is skilled into power heavily and has bonus Warp Core Potential via a Trait.

The Vesta line can certainly shield tank, particularly with Rotate Shield Frequency and EPS Conduit Link, but you need to keep a close eye on the hull for bleed-through and plasma burn.

The only issue I had was that the QFFP (deflector phaser) didn't do much damage on my Eng since I had no points in Particle Generators, but Cryptic has since buffed the base damage and decreased the amount Particle Generators affect it, so I'm not sure how'd it handle now.

stardestroyer001 02-19-2013 05:07 PM

I have had the Vesta 3-pk since the first day it came out.

My primary FED Engineer does indeed fly the MMSE (eng version). Although I have adjusted the ship to favour offense over defense, I have found in a PVP match with someone with superior equipment, my ship was pretty hard to take down.

The offensive advantage of the Vesta lies in its usage of auxiliary power. The Aux cannons, three in fore, make a huge difference when Aux power is at 100%. To further improve on this, EP to Aux significantly helps here.

The rear weapons, all 360 degree phaser turrets, run off of weapons power, which I usually leave at 40. Using EP to Weapons, Weapons batteries, and cycling between Tactical Teams, the rear weapons do quite a bit of damage in addition to the "heavy hitter" Aux fore cannons.

The defensive advantages of the MMSE is the Fermion Field console, and the ample space for engineering or science abilities, as well as the decent hull and decent shields.

For tanking, I would suggest fully utilizing the Engineering console slots for hull strength, resiliency, and repair abilities. Use SIF Generator, some alloys, etc. Don't waste a single spot on the universal consoles. For the science consoles, since the Eng Vesta has four, use at least one for the Fermion Transceiver console - this heals your hull moderately over time, as well as your allies (within around 3-4 km) and fighters, while slowly regenerating shields. It's an invaluable tool. Also, put at least an Emitter Array and Shield Emitter Amplifier to re-build your shields once they start to run low. As for tac consoles, use Phaser Relays to boost damage from the heavy-hitters and the rear guns.

As for BOFF slots, I recommend using the LTC Universal seat for an Engineering officer, if you are going for a tanky role. Have EP to Shields and RSP on at least one Engineering officer. Use the ENS Universal seat for the Tactical BOFF, running a copy of Tactical Team alongside the LT Tactical seat, also running a Tactical Team.

As for devices, Weapons and Shields Batteries are a must. The other slot is your discretion.

As for fighters, I find all of them are useless unless you get the higher level ones, so I have no comment on that. If I was forced to choose, I would pick either runabouts to tractor enemies so you can get away and heal, or SRU/HRU for shield/hull heals, respectively.

The MMSE is a great ship. Once you buy it, you won't regret it. :)

coffeemike 02-19-2013 06:28 PM

I"m a Joined Trill engineer that usually runs the Vesta Class tac version. I default to it now more than my Fleet Nova Class as you can fly it with a Lt. and Lt Cmd BOFF seat. Plus the 4 tac consoles are great with my Romulan weapons / Borg Omega torp.

I'd find Efficient BOFFs to use and 1 human. You can never use enough power along with increased hull repair rate.