Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Thank you NWS for PvP dev time (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=560231)

havam 02-20-2013 05:48 AM

Thank you NWS for PvP dev time

So i m still raging mad at systems latest stroke of genius. I want to start something on a more positive note:

If I read between the lines correctly in different interviews and forum posts. Neverwinter are actually putting proper Dev time into PvP. Part of there efforts come back to STO, like making the systems team understand that F@W is broken, has only been different kinds of broken since Season 2, mind you.

So any open beta LTS pvp'ers out there, what is there to discover in Neverwinter PvP development, that might make its way to STO? How are they approaching things differently. First of they only have one faction. Smart move, or not, dunno. Let's hear it from the livers.

naevius 02-20-2013 07:19 AM

Soon you will have swords AND shields in STO. :)

Actually, we don't get in until:

Beta Weekend 2 - March 8-10

Hero of the North Founder's Pack purchasers
Guardian of Neverwinter purchasers
Torchlight 2 pre-orders
RaiderZ Elite Pack purchasers
Lifetime members of Champions Online and Star Trek Online.

beefsupreme79 02-20-2013 07:32 AM

elves in tights banging each other over the head with sticks?

i dunno, kinda tired of the classic mmo pvp. space is where its at.

imo the best thing they could do for neverwinter (and all mmos) for that matter, is get rid of arena minigame pvp. it ruins the sandbox open world pvp, the random pvp that suddenly starts while you are killing grubs or picking flowers for mrs. pennypicker.

I have said it time and time again. SWG (star wars galaxies, for the younglings) did pvp perfectly. 6-7 different planets all open sandboxes. you have to flag yourself for pvp so there is no ganking. each planet had bases you needed to control to control that planet.

getting outnumbered on Dantooine? group up and fly to Naboo, start some base takeovers there and watch the opposition scurry over to defend. (ahh the joys of surrounding the spaceport load in and aoeing the incoming defenders, memories) just a brilliant system that devs everywhere should be emulating.

not to mention actual bounties for bountyhunters. dont like that op jedi gloating about how much time and effort he put in to be leet? put his name and some cash on the bounty terminals and watch him log off in his house for a few days.

naevius 02-20-2013 07:34 AM

If you listen to developer's conferences, you should know why you likely won't see open world PvP again. It just annoys too many customers.

beefsupreme79 02-20-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naevius (Post 8201041)
If you listen to developer's conferences, you should know why you likely won't see open world PvP again. It just annoys too many customers.

read above post on "flagging"

virusdancer 02-20-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naevius (Post 8200601)
Soon you will have swords AND shields in STO. :)

Hey, I like the Tegolar with a [Rev] or [PBKB] personal shield. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by beefsupreme79 (Post 8200961)
elves in tights banging each other over the head with
sticks?

Vulcans with their Lirpas...

Hrmmm, maybe Bran can do a non-Boxing tourney. Naked except your choice of melee weapon - oh, the carnage...

inktomi19 02-20-2013 08:12 AM

My favorite open-world PvP was in Warhammer Age of Reckoning. Each zone had one side for each faction, seperated by a PvP zone between them with numerous objectives. their were three different fronts to fight on at each tier, so if you were getting spanked to hard in one place you could reorganize and push on another front.

But fully open zones seem like kind of a bad idea. Even in games where certain servers are PvP, or where players had to flag themselves it caused problems. If you want to use flags you need to do cheetah-flips to prevent people from accidentally getting flagged. For example, I've seen games where a person would go stand next to quest mobs hoping to get hit by an AOE which would then flag the person who did it.

antoniosalieri 02-20-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beefsupreme79 (Post 8201111)
read above post on "flagging"

Problem is every Dev wants to be Bliz... they want to have a Wow killer... so they create there game to appeal to wives and girlfriends (no offense... to the gaming girls including my wife)... but seriously they create there games to appeal to people that can't name the brand of there CPU... or the model number on there video card... and have to be walked through a driver update to install the game properly.

Those types of people don't understand the flagging stuff... they will either screw it up... or decide to try PvP and get annoyed. It makes the thought for most devs of adding open world pvp that most of US hard core gamer's love... an issue. (at least I think that's how most of the money sees it) Not to mention that they Believe those segments of the market greatly out number ours... and there likely right.

Games like EVE and yes even SWG had/have a very small base in comparison... are we loyal customers YES... are we plentiful... not really. Games like that don't attract the big publish bucks what can ya do... we are fans of the "art film" version of the MMO industry... and they all wanna make Summer blockbusters.

mrgrocer56 02-20-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antoniosalieri (Post 8202331)
Problem is every Dev wants to be Bliz... they want to have a Wow killer... so they create there game to appeal to wives and girlfriends (no offense... to the gaming girls including my wife)... but seriously they create there games to appeal to people that can't name the brand of there CPU... or the model number on there video card... and have to be walked through a driver update to install the game properly.

Those types of people don't understand the flagging stuff... they will either screw it up... or decide to try PvP and get annoyed. It makes the thought for most devs of adding open world pvp that most of US hard core gamer's love... an issue. (at least I think that's how most of the money sees it) Not to mention that they Believe those segments of the market greatly out number ours... and there likely right.

Games like EVE and yes even SWG had/have a very small base in comparison... are we loyal customers YES... are we plentiful... not really. Games like that don't attract the big publish bucks what can ya do... we are fans of the "art film" version of the MMO industry... and they all wanna make Summer blockbusters.

Bravo, maestro. Grazi, Signori. I have felt this for a long while but couldn't have put it so well.

naevius 02-20-2013 09:09 AM

And even in EVE, most people stay in high-sec space (no PvP) according to CCP.