Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   What's in a name? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=560451)

ambassadormolari 02-20-2013 08:24 AM

What's in a name?

I am almost at level 10 in game, and I'm already contemplating what I want my Tier 1 ship to be. I am strongly drifting towards an Excalibur-class cruiser, just as a good jack-of-all-trades ship. Although I would like a science vessel for my engineering officer, and although the minelaying ability of the Nova class is very nice, I'm a little put off by how relatively tiny the ship is. That, and my gf is already running a Nova class, and I want to be a bit different.

Seeing as I'm the king of indecision, though, I'm in an ongoing debate as to what to call my next ship (my current Miranda class is the Da Vinci). Here are my list of finalists:

Aquinas
Avicenna
Hadrian
Justinian
Pericles
Ptolemy

I'm strongly drifting towards the Hadrian, as naming a ship after an emperor who constructed a giant wall seems appropriate for my engineer captain. On the other hand, the Avicenna, Pericles and Ptolemy are also attractive options. Note that if I do change my mind and get a Nova class, I'm definitely calling it the Archimedes.

Any thoughts/preferences on a name?

altechachan 02-20-2013 08:36 AM

They all seem fine to me, though I would recommend using a name that is less known or common in STO (I recall one forum poster stating that in a STF, everyone was named "USS Venture" or something).

If anything, use http://www.random.org/. Set the max to 6 and let it randomly pick one for you.

Happy flying!

ambassadormolari 02-20-2013 04:02 PM

Lol, I'd rather not trust anything so random. :P But that said, I've now narrowed it down to Hadrian, Pericles and Avicenna, for what its worth.

cmdrscarlet 02-20-2013 06:57 PM

What's in a name?

Everything.

Of the choices remaining: Hadrian :)

ambassadormolari 02-21-2013 05:39 PM

Okay, so thats one vote for Hadrian, and one vote, from a friend, for Avicenna. I'll probably decide on one of the names soonish, though.

marcusdkane 02-22-2013 02:45 AM

Hadrian is a strong one, but the name which resonated with me more, was Justinian, I once saw a book (never read it) which featured an immortal character called Justinian Sterling...

As for the Nova-Class... Don't let the size put you off... Okay, I admit, I initially chose the Nova-Class for my new crew, because I figured that as a small ship, it might be considered a bit of a bummy assignment, and little better than being assigned to a Starbase... Then I figured "Well, the Equinox did pretty well in the Delta Quadrant for such a little ship, this little kitty has the heart of a lion..." I found the deck plans online and was hooked... Based on those plans, if given the realworld choice between a Sovereign-Class and a Nova-Class ship to command, I'd go for the Nova-Class... Now I'm not sure how much the game allows a player to customize a ship from it's default, but if the Nova begins as a survey vessel, if the option exists to swap out some of the science packages for tactical packages, I think it would make for, to quote Riker, a pretty tough little ship... Going back to names... If your captain's an engineer, how about Brunel as a name?

cmdrscarlet 02-22-2013 06:42 AM

Marcus ... thank you and curse you for that link!!!

I still say Hadrian :)

marcusdkane 02-22-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmdrscarlet (Post 8251411)
Marcus ... thank you and curse you for that link!!!

I still say Hadrian :)

It's not going to have you roaming the halls of the Hiketeia, in your mind's eye is it? ;) I've found it helpful with planning my LCs... I know which quarters I would be calling dibs on if a visitor on board :cool:

cmdrscarlet 02-22-2013 07:20 AM

As a huge fan of the Excelsior Refit (Enterprise-B) ... that link provides a wealth of awesome.

And yes, my writings may get a *wee* bit more detailed due to those plans if the situation calls for it. I mean, someone went through a lot of work to make those blueprints, why not use them?

If only the game could be that accurate *sighs*.

ambassadormolari 02-22-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcusdkane (Post 8248821)
Hadrian is a strong one, but the name which resonated with me more, was Justinian, I once saw a book (never read it) which featured an immortal character called Justinian Sterling...

As for the Nova-Class... Don't let the size put you off... Okay, I admit, I initially chose the Nova-Class for my new crew, because I figured that as a small ship, it might be considered a bit of a bummy assignment, and little better than being assigned to a Starbase... Then I figured "Well, the Equinox did pretty well in the Delta Quadrant for such a little ship, this little kitty has the heart of a lion..." I found the deck plans online and was hooked... Based on those plans, if given the realworld choice between a Sovereign-Class and a Nova-Class ship to command, I'd go for the Nova-Class... Now I'm not sure how much the game allows a player to customize a ship from it's default, but if the Nova begins as a survey vessel, if the option exists to swap out some of the science packages for tactical packages, I think it would make for, to quote Riker, a pretty tough little ship... Going back to names... If your captain's an engineer, how about Brunel as a name?

Darnit, Marcus, you've just added to my indecision now. :P

So, now it's a choice for me between the Excalibur-class U.S.S. Hadrian and the Nova-class U.S.S. Archimedes.