Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Subscribing worth it? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=564541)

remairtamec 02-23-2013 03:23 AM

Subscribing worth it?

Hi, I used to play at launch and getting back into the game now as its F2P and really enjoying it. Been playing through with someone else which works really well with this game, and so far have been really pleased with the changes made in the game so far in the years since I left.

I'm considering subscribing but really am dubious of the benefits having looked at the feature matrix. As far as I can tell there seem to be three main benefits, at least for a newer player who is not going to hit money limits anytime soon.
1- Respec tokens, extra Boff and ship slots, pretty much adding up to a bit more flexibility.
2- The foundry access.
3- Monthly stipend of zen.
The first seems fairly nice but not huge for me. I already have several character slots as it let me keep all those originally given to every subscriber. The foundry I love the idea of but not sure if it will live up to its hype. I would love to create complex missions involving player choice, I've had experience doing that in the past DMing for RP groups and it seems like a great way to use game mechanics to tell stories, but kinda concerned that any missions made will ever be used. There must be loads of missions produced each week of varying quality, so even if you make a great one there's a chance nobody will play it to upvote it.

As for the zen its nice, and at a nice % of the sub fee (quite happy imagining 1/3rd is going to server maitenance, 1/3rd to universal content then 1/3rd to content that you choose what you want, i.e. microtransactions). But then looking at it I can't help but think on its own it just isn't worth it, taking 5-10 months worth for the upper end ships it seems more likely that I'll just buy them one off when the time comes. Although I suppose its more designed to pick up the smaller C-store items like Doff boosters, clothing and lockbox keys.

Also looking at the lifetime subscription, there seems to have been a couple of sales last year, or one very long one, at 33% off which would be enough to make me interested in picking it up.

So pretty much I'm asking existing subscribers: is it worth it? Would it only be worth while once I hit max level or is it good for leveling up too? Am I better off just buying zen straight for some extra toys? What are the chances of another lifetime sale happening in 2013? If they're good is the lifetime a worthwhile package?

Sorry if this has been asked to death, I did search but got a whole lot of unrelated threads. Thanks for any advice.

lordfuzun 02-23-2013 08:52 AM

I think your decision should be based on the following: If you are going to playing Star Trek Online a lot (more than just casual) and creating lot of characters, if would probably benefit you to subscribe. The benefists you receive in the free services you mentioned in your post will most than over your subscription.

It is worth is owrth it to me to subscribe. I have 14 characters. all but one is at level 50. And I definitely have made used of the skill respec additional bank and invetory slots. The Veteran rewards are nice perks as well.

cmdrscarlet 02-23-2013 08:56 AM

I'm not a subscriber but that is a financial choice for me. I'm also only able to play about once a week for a few hours. Having said that, I think lordfuzun nailed it concerning time to play: if you will play a lot then you'll get your money's worth to subscribe.

If anything you'll be financially supporting the game in a small way through your contribution, if you want to look at it that way :)

mandoknight89 02-23-2013 09:10 AM

Even if you don't want to make a commitment to continuous subscription, a 1-month is worth it. You'll unlock a lot of extra inventory and bank space, which cost a lot of Zen to get the same amount in the C-Store, and then you get 500 Zen back out of your $15 purchase.

remairtamec 02-24-2013 07:50 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably do as MandoKnight suggested and subscribe for a month and then see if I want to stick with the subscription or not.

lethal61 02-24-2013 08:08 AM

I would do the month to month untill they come out with another sale on lifetime memberships thats what i did and dont regret it i have alot of perks and the extra ships was awsome not to mention the monthly 500zen you get ;).

tinkerstorm 02-25-2013 09:11 AM

PWE subtracts 35 days from my subscribed days count when they charge me for the monthly subscription fees, so my account gets younger instead of older, with no hope of obtaining any more veteran rewards. Proceed with caution.

cptvanor 02-25-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remairtamec (Post 8268151)
2- The foundry access.

You can buy foundry access for something like 7k Dilithium, so I wouldn't bother subscribing for that, unless you intended to have a lot of projects going at the same time.

themarie 02-25-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remairtamec (Post 8268151)
So pretty much I'm asking existing subscribers: is it worth it

No.

You get all access via F2P.

Basically by subbing you are pouring money into a game that only respects "internal metrics" and not the wishes of the playerbase. You can grind everything you need and micro-transaction the rest.

So... sub-fees are a waste of money really.

sjokruhlica 02-25-2013 08:27 PM

I play almost daily, and run 5 characters (with 2 unused slots to go), so to me it was worth the life sub. 500 zen per month stipend, free ship, liberated borg characters, 2 extra character slots, and other perks are worth it. Just catch it when it's on sale, as it's usually 1/3 less than normal cost.