Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Windows and General: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=401)
-   -   ATI - no anti-alias at all? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=56461)

Archived Post 01-12-2010 06:45 AM

ATI - no anti-alias at all?

Hi,

I've read a few posts relating to anti-aliasing, mostly talking about issues with how it works - my issue (which I couldn't find any other postings on) is that I seem unable to turn on anti-aliasing at all.

In the video options, if I mouse over the option, it says AA isn't available on my GPU. I've been into the ATI Catalyst settings therefore and set it to force anti-aliasing... and still no anti-aliasing!

I have dual Radeon HD 4600's, running on Vista.

Any pointers appreciated...

Archived Post 01-12-2010 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidstone78 (Post 1375779)
Hi,

I've read a few posts relating to anti-aliasing, mostly talking about issues with how it works - my issue (which I couldn't find any other postings on) is that I seem unable to turn on anti-aliasing at all.

In the video options, if I mouse over the option, it says AA isn't available on my GPU. I've been into the ATI Catalyst settings therefore and set it to force anti-aliasing... and still no anti-aliasing!

Any pointers appreciated...

Well the obvious first place to start would be to upgrade the video drivers, but if that doesn't work, you can always go into Catalyst and force AA on. You lose the CFAA edge detect option when you do that, which is unfortunate as that yields the best results by far, but at least it would give you something.

Archived Post 01-12-2010 06:59 AM

Ah, I already tried that, which I naturally assumed would work!

Also, I had to get the latest version of .net and my drivers and Catalyst just to access the options, so I'm all up to date.

The Vista is 64bit - not sure if that would be a factor. It's not actually mine I'm sad to admit, it's my fiance's - she has a better PC than me! :( If it were mine, I'd have Windows 7 on it by now, and it wouldn't be in desperate need of software updates!

Archived Post 01-12-2010 07:17 AM

I have the same issue , I have a 4870x2 with latest Cats , but still shows as AA not supported by my card ( which it most definatly is ) . Windows 7 64 bit

Archived Post 01-12-2010 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidstone78 (Post 1375779)
Hi,

I wondered about this as well, having installed the OB client on 2 different computers (both with ATI graphics cards) and found the anti aliasing setting unavailable. However, on reading the Release Notes (something to do while I wait for the madness to begin) it states under "Known Issues":
  • Anti Aliasing support is disabled for some video cards at this time.

So I guess there's some problem with anti-aliasing on ATI cards at the moment. The joys of beta... :)

Archived Post 01-12-2010 07:18 AM

There is a driver issue with Ati cards and AA where the game crashes. As soon as ATI bring out a hotfix ( and they said they will) AA is disabled ingame.

A workaround is, if you have the catalyst drivers, you can enable full Adaptive and Transparant AA to achieve the same result, untl the hotfix is released.

The same goes for Nvidia users,a nd anyone using drivers above 190.62 version. Chances are you will need to roll back to be able to play the game.

Again, both issues are known by ATI and NVIDIA and they have both said a hotfix will be released asap.

Archived Post 01-12-2010 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgp123 (Post 1376508)
There is a driver issue with Ati cards and AA where the game crashes. As soon as ATI bring out a hotfix ( and they said they will) AA is disabled ingame.

A workaround is, if you have the catalyst drivers, you can enable full Adaptive and Transparant AA to achieve the same result, untl the hotfix is released.

The same goes for Nvidia users,a nd anyone using drivers above 190.62 version. Chances are you will need to roll back to be able to play the game.

Again, both issues are known by ATI and NVIDIA and they have both said a hotfix will be released asap.

thanks for that I will try the adaptive

Archived Post 01-12-2010 07:28 AM

Thanks to drGrov and tedgp123 for that info.

Archived Post 01-13-2010 11:29 AM

yeh, i don't really understand vid cards too much, so i want to make sure it is actually the AA issue thats causing my problems.

everything in the environment and all movable objects look pretty bad, even at the highest settings. char's and ships look blocky with little or no detail, even with the textures setting on max.

is this what AA helps with?

Archived Post 01-13-2010 11:40 AM

Thats good to hear that its just a bug in ATI's drivers. I was worried they made some type of deal with Nvidia like Batman.