Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Windows and General: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=401)
-   -   Torrent being slow, need help (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=56478)

Archived Post 01-12-2010 06:57 AM

Torrent being slow, need help
 
I have the most current version of Bittorrent, the correct port for bittorrent is opened on the router to the correct computer, and I have never identified any times when my ISP has been throttling or otherwise interfering with any other torrents yet im still only getting about 20-40 kb/s.

My usual speed is 250-300. is there a specific port i should be using, not just whatever bittorrent is set to at the moment?

Archived Post 01-12-2010 07:09 AM

I'm sorry it is going so slow for everyone, it is such a drag so have to wait...

Do you think it is worth using the torrent compared to FP? I have never downloaded torrent before so do I need some software?? Rar files? I'm not sure what goes into it. thanks

Hope everyhing works out,

Archived Post 01-12-2010 07:10 AM

its bouncing all over the palce from 50kb/s to 500kb/s

Archived Post 01-12-2010 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnJady (Post 1376023)
I have the most current version of Bittorrent, the correct port for bittorrent is opened on the router to the correct computer, and I have never identified any times when my ISP has been throttling or otherwise interfering with any other torrents yet im still only getting about 20-40 kb/s.

My usual speed is 250-300. is there a specific port i should be using, not just whatever bittorrent is set to at the moment?

Torrents sometimes start slow and pick up speed as they go. Before I went to bed last night I was barely getting 50kbs. Now I'm at 274 kbs.

Archived Post 01-12-2010 07:13 AM

It vaires for me between 2 kb/s and 280.

but thats still way better than fileplanet.

We're talking I could be in beta by late afternoon my time instead of late afternoon tomorrow as I would be with the FP download.

Archived Post 01-12-2010 07:13 AM

Thats a lot faster than what I had fp, how do I get a torrent? or just click the download and onzip it?

Archived Post 01-12-2010 07:20 AM

Quick 'n dirty Steps to torrenting ST:O

1; Google "utorrent" and download the very small client (only a few seconds of dl time)

2; install uTorrent, run it and proceed with the intital set up screen.
This consits of;
*2.1 running a speedtest on a website. Don't be doing anything else online whilst running the test.
Take note of your UPLOAD speed.
*2.2 set the uTorrent UPLOAD speed to just under what you saw in the test.

3; go to the ST:O download page, right click on the torrent link and hit 'copy URL'

4; In uTorrent hit file -> 'Add torrent from URL'

5; paste in the previously copied URL and go.

6; be PATIENT! It takes time to get up steam and will rise and fall alot.

Archived Post 01-12-2010 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent (Post 1376549)
6; be PATIENT! It takes time to get up steam and will rise and fall alot.

I want to echo this last bit. I just checked and my torrent was hovering between 285 and 305.

Now if I wanted to be cruel, I'd tell you to stay off the internet while it's downloading, that it was choking your bandwidth, but I won't go there. :)

Archived Post 01-12-2010 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exactor_mortis (Post 1376614)
I want to echo this last bit. I just checked and my torrent was hovering between 285 and 305.

Now if I wanted to be cruel, I'd tell you to stay off the internet while it's downloading, that it was choking your bandwidth, but I won't go there. :)

Im on two different internets for posting and for torrenting.

Sneaky yes?

shssshshssh dont tell :D

Archived Post 01-12-2010 07:45 AM

Use utorrent as it is a small, and VERY good bittorrent client.

Once installed follow these directions:

1. Click Options > Preferences
2. Click bandwidth in the colum on the left hand side.
3. On the right hand side, where it ays global download rate, in the box type "0".
4. Under "Number of Connections", enter "850" for the value of Maximum Connections, and a value between "100" and "300" for maximum connected peers. (This is important, as too high of a value in each box will choke your connection.
5. In the left hand column, click the option called BitTorrent.
6. Under Protocol Encryption, select "Forced" or "Enabled". This is usually a good way to bypass your isp's throttling systems. Also, make sure the checkbox next to "allow incoming legacy connections" is checked.
7. Hit apply, then OK, then restart your client.

Your uttorent client is now configured as best as can be to allow downlaods.
Leave it running to see how fast you can get the torrent. If you are still having issues, then there are only two reasons.
A) Your ISP does nto allow torrent downloading
B) The seeders on the torrent have restricted their upload speeds or there are too many leechers.

Hope this helps you.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:47 AM.