Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Bug Reports (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   Argelius II Interior Pathing Problems (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=566101)

chicochavez 02-24-2013 02:44 PM

Argelius II Interior Pathing Problems

So apparently this has been issue for a while and I never knew about it, but the interior map Argelius II, used in part 3 of my series as well as other authors missions like Syndicate Extraction STILL hasn't had it's pathing for Boffs fixed.

I understand a separate team might work on the Foundry stuff, but considering how little we seem to have gotten lately would it be possible to at least have the stuff we do have access to work?

markhawkman 02-24-2013 02:58 PM

what pathing error are you having? Boffs running into doorjambs and getting stuck?

chicochavez 02-24-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markhawkman (Post 8290531)
what pathing error are you having? Boffs running into doorjambs and getting stuck?

Among other things. they also get stuck in the pit in the middle of the map. If you give part 3 a try you'll see exactly what I mean.

markhawkman 02-25-2013 07:20 AM

been there, done that.

Is it only in preview or does it persist after publishing?

crypticfrost 02-25-2013 10:30 AM

I'll look into this particular map.

Also, there is not a sepearate Foundry team. The same programmers who fix Foundry issues are also the ones who fix all the software issues in the main game and who have to develop any new tech needed for new content. Even I am not exclusively on Foundry testing. That's why Foundry fixes take so much time. Cryptic is still a small company and STO is still made by a small team.

markhawkman 02-25-2013 11:03 AM

Ok I played your mission, and... it's just regular dumb boff pathing. It's complicated by the pit, but it's not markedly worse than usual.

chicochavez 02-25-2013 07:25 PM

@crypticfrost: thanks for looking into it and clearing up who is responsible for fixes. It seems this happens wherever this map shows up, not just in my mission.

@markhawkman: Are you sure about that? It seems to be much worse on this one then others. I'm wondering if its the fact the door supports stick out so much compared to other map designs (trying to remember if the Cardassian based interiors were this bad, they have somewhat similar door styles).

Might a solution be to place invisible walls sticking out next to these entryways or perhaps along the entire door so they can't get stuck? I know it might mean seeing that weird slow-motion run as the slide along the wall face first, but if it prevents actual sticking it might be worth it.

markhawkman 02-25-2013 08:46 PM

well... they might get stuck on the invisi walls... yeah, that map is annoying in terms of how often boffs get stuck in random places, but.... the pit doesn't seem to be special in that regard. the door design? yeah, those are a pain. A lot of klingon maps have a similar problem. especially with those weird wall supports.

chicochavez 02-25-2013 09:03 PM

I'm curious to know how the AI pathing actually works. Is it just a matter of each part of the map being marked out as if a boff can or cant go there and it has a formula to figure out the most direct way to get there or is it something more complex?

Perhaps mark a certain distance out from the wall on maps like these as a No-go for AIs? Might limit their mobility but if it keeps them from getting stuck might be worth it.

crypticfrost 03-05-2013 11:26 AM

This particualr map, Argelius II Interior, is not getting pathing data applied to it after publishing. I don't know why.

At this time, all I can advise is to not use this map.