Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Vote to Kick Function (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=566431)

logicalspock 02-25-2013 01:24 AM

Vote to Kick Function
 
Dan Stahl recently said Cryptic was working on a vote to kick function, but I think this will create more problems in group pugs than it solves, for instance, a group of four trolls pugging an STF and then voting to kick a player right before he receives his rewards.

I suggest an alternate solution. Instead of a vote to kick function we introduce a secret ballot. When you are auto-teamed with someone, you can report them for specific violations such as not contributing the entire match or "griefing" (say by showing up in a starter ship to an Elite STF). These reports would put secret tokens on the player's account. The players could also leave specific descriptions. Automated tokens would also be placed on the account for such things as choosing to leave in the middle of an STF.

If the number of tokens per qualifying mission played exceeded a certain threshold (say two standard deviations from the mean), the player would get an automated warning. If he continued to accrue tokens at a significantly greater than average rate, he would get a one hour ban the next day. Every day he played an STF or similar content he would be eligible for a new ban and every day the ban would double.


The number of standard deviations from the mean would be set to make it very unlikely that it would net any innocent victims and the algorithm would have to be sophisticated enough to vary the time frame involves so that recent bad behavior does not get drown out by past good behavior and new players are not subject to the whims of statistically insignificant sample sizes.

The system would also not be a perfect solution. People could AFK or grief every once in a while and still get away with it and it would take time for griefers and AFKers to accrue a meaningful ban, but I think this, or some similar solution is the least abusable .

nynik 02-25-2013 01:34 AM

I pretty sure he didn't say they where working on a vote-to-kick feature, but that they were looking at measures to tackle the AFK issue. Some of which were not disimilar from a suggestion to track, and reward for, participation on optional elements of group content over those who would just sit afk at the spawn.

Quote:

Originally Posted by olivia211
Indeed. I didn't mind Colony Invasion so much because I like ground combat. What made it annoying was the AFKers and the lack of fleet marks earned because of those AFKers. Hopefully this boost will make things better and encourage people to play through it.
This is just one small step towards combating the AFK issue. We have more changes coming that are designed to aid teams having to deal with this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dastahl
I'm very much in favor of a kick vote feature. With minimal programming logic, sufficient safeguards can be implemented to prevent sustained abuse by individuals and groups. No measures to track participation alone will see afkers totally removed from group content. The community is more than capable to police itself, if given the right tools.


Quote:

Originally Posted by centersolace
Speaking of AFKers, I really like the idea of optional objectives/bosses and secret areas that we see in Colony Invasion and Neverwinter. It encourages participation and teamwork. I hope we see more of that stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dastahl
/agreed so long as the people earning the optional rewards are those who are involved in the optional objective completion. This is very much in line with some of the concepts we are working on for STFs and Events.

I'm very much in favor of a kick vote feature. With minimal programming logic, sufficient safeguards can be implemented to prevent sustained abuse by individuals and groups. No measures to track participation alone will see afkers totally removed from group content - or penalized (disincentivized) satisfactorily. The community is more than capable to police itself, if given the right tools.

kronplah78 02-25-2013 03:43 PM

Yes I'd say a timed AFK system in place specifically to deal with problem individuals in STFs.. At 5min an auto warning, if no consecutive series of keystrokes is detected by the game from the person, indicating that he/she risks being removed from the STF with a one hour penalty if no response conitnues. Finally at 10mins he/she is autokicked, no rewards, no xp, no nothing, and receives the one hour penalty.

blagorm 02-25-2013 03:50 PM

I will NEVER want a leader to allow people to be kicked or for the team's mind to kick people. I however WILL be fine with timed kick. With people's mind kick, it can just because they dont like each other. Therefor, i will reccomend we dont try to make teams kick but jsut a time kick.

And for AFK, make it more AFK.... Because if you are away, you dont wanan get killed. Just make it so that you cant get attacked in AFK BUT you cant do anything while in AFK and if you move 1 you get out 2 nothing happens. All depends.. with how you make the Empire ill laugh when we can use AFK even when walking (not sayiing it will but still with the past.. I see that)

oldschooldork 02-25-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blagorm (Post 8307571)
I will NEVER want a leader to allow people to be kicked or for the team's mind to kick people. I however WILL be fine with timed kick.

I agree with a timed kick system, or a no damage-no reward system. Having a team kick option, in my opinion, is a very, very bad idea. No matter what anyone says, it WILL be abused. Not might be abused some of the time, but WILL be abused, ALL the time. The stf's are already dominated by elitists and griefers, imagine giving them the power to kick people at will. It would be like putting a group of pyromaniacs in charge of a match factory...nothing good will come of it.

crusader2007 02-25-2013 04:39 PM

I agree with the OP...the kicking vote will be abused by inmature players and yes if you dont believe it...there are a ton of them.

Best way to solve this is partly mentioned by the OP but already under our very noses...how about following a similar from forum poster violators:

PWE Infraction Policy
________________________________________
The vBulletin infraction system identifies, and keeps track of violations of our Community Rules and Policies. The primary purpose of this infraction system is to maximize the enjoyment of the users of our forums. To this end, we use the following point and penalty system:

5 points results in a 3 day suspension.
10 points result in a 7 day suspension.
15 points result in a 14 day suspension.
20 or more points result in a permanent ban.


Similar manner but suspension system for any STF/PVE/PVP:
A point given perhaps by anyone who reports to STO....checks an balance in place already and not much infraestructure needed to polizing the perpetrators...;)

kirk2390 02-26-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logicalspock (Post 8296191)
Dan Stahl recently said Cryptic was working on a vote to kick function, but I think this will create more problems in group pugs than it solves, for instance, a group of four trolls pugging an STF and then voting to kick a player right before he receives his rewards.

I suggest an alternate solution. Instead of a vote to kick function we introduce a secret ballot. When you are auto-teamed with someone, you can report them for specific violations such as not contributing the entire match or "griefing" (say by showing up in a starter ship to an Elite STF). These reports would put secret tokens on the player's account. The players could also leave specific descriptions. Automated tokens would also be placed on the account for such things as choosing to leave in the middle of an STF.

If the number of tokens per qualifying mission played exceeded a certain threshold (say two standard deviations from the mean), the player would get an automated warning. If he continued to accrue tokens at a significantly greater than average rate, he would get a one hour ban the next day. Every day he played an STF or similar content he would be eligible for a new ban and every day the ban would double.

The number of standard deviations from the mean would be set to make it very unlikely that it would net any innocent victims and the algorithm would have to be sophisticated enough to vary the time frame involves so that recent bad behavior does not get drown out by past good behavior and new players are not subject to the whims of statistically insignificant sample sizes.

The system would also not be a perfect solution. People could AFK or grief every once in a while and still get away with it and it would take time for griefers and AFKers to accrue a meaningful ban, but I think this, or some similar solution is the least abusable .

Why this tread if you lissen corectly for exsample Stoked Radio they also think it wasn't wise to inplement this feature .
Stahl said in his words I want to have a system if you do not score or score to low for that mather you will recieve less then others who did have a good score but they were not sure about it yet but it has an high priority on the list.


Also vote this tread closed because it has no purpose other then speculation

anazonda 02-26-2013 06:28 AM

I hear these concerns, and i think they are a "non-issue" ...

Trolling? You'd have to end up in a full team of freinds/fleetmates, wich pretty much never happens in a pug.... And even so, it would still be a minority...

The only people I can see a kick function would be a problem for, are leeches, and the ones breaking missions on purpose.

romuzarii 02-26-2013 06:34 AM

I have a solution for everyone that always manages to rally against a vote to kick feature like it'll be the end of days if it goes live(I won't accuse anyone of protecting self interests but it's suspicious)

It's called.... get ready....



A AFK vote to kick feature. In essence, any mother****er who is tagged AFK by the system based on keystrokes/movement/lack of participation, automatically is tagged for right to vote kick by the group. Suck on that, 9 out of 10 AFKers just **** their pants. Next problem.

valoreah 02-26-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kronplah78 (Post 8307501)
Yes I'd say a timed AFK system in place specifically to deal with problem individuals in STFs..

Not sure that will work all the time as some STFs can be completed in under 5 minutes. Also, I've seen quite a few players who park and AFK above the starbase in the Fleet Alerts with autofire turned on. They'll fire a random shot here and there, but be AFK for the most part.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:58 AM.