Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Art of Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=216)
-   -   PhysX do you think sto will ever get this ingame? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=566581)

cptskeeteruk 02-25-2013 03:48 AM

PhysX do you think sto will ever get this ingame?

Hey all.

Just a wondering. Since physx seems to be getting more popular these days i.e BL2. I was wondering if sto plans to ever get physx in sto and use it for ship explosions, or explosions in any case i guess really, effects like fire, sparks, phasers, torps, shields, destructable objects etc.

Would be nice to have some nice things like that in sto and even tho amd users would miss out that doesnt stop other games from implimenting physx so cant see that as a reason not to use it in a mmo like sto imo.

Wouldnt mind hearing what taco has to say about this as well.

tacofangs 02-25-2013 09:23 AM

We have had PhysX in game since launch. Anytime something explodes, and you kick things around on the floor, those are PhysX objects. The balloons from the most recent party popper is a good example.

The effects are disable-able by the player, so we can't do anything important to gameplay with it. We also can't do quite as big, or fancy things as they can in a single player game.

amayakitsune 02-25-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacofangs (Post 8301361)
We have had PhysX in game since launch. Anytime something explodes, and you kick things around on the floor, those are PhysX objects. The balloons from the most recent party popper is a good example.

The effects are disable-able by the player, so we can't do anything important to gameplay with it. We also can't do quite as big, or fancy things as they can in a single player game.

Nothing youve mentioned could possibly qualify as PhysX... because PhysX needs an Nvidia GFX card to even work... and I can see everyone of those balloons and pieces of debris on the ground... and I have an HD3000 card from Intel... I have no doubt that they employ some sort of physics engine but its not PhysX...

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/physx

cptskeeteruk 02-25-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacofangs (Post 8301361)

Those arnt physx thats just some software based physics that almost any game can and does have. Im talking about gpu based physics effects. This is what i mean with something that physx could be done and it can be done in mmos as eve was or still is working on this and thats a mmo. Yes of course the crytpic engine would need to be updated a bit for it to support proper physx probably but i think the benefits would be well worth it since probably half your player base has a physx capable card and system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...az8mWug#t=403s

But yeah, moving asteroids that rotate, have momentum i.e if hit will change direction. Smash to pieces if hit on the hull of a ship. New shield and weapon effects with it etc. Would be so visually nice imo.

I do hope someday in the not too distance future that it gets this stuff.

Here is a interesting article with physx stuff with mmos like secret world and age of conan etc.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/MMO-G...e-191885.shtml

amosov78 02-25-2013 10:13 AM

Neverwinter seems to be using this for NPC character deaths, I wouldn't mind seeing that in STO.

tangolight 02-25-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amayakitsune (Post 8301521)
Nothing youve mentioned could possibly qualify as PhysX... because PhysX needs an Nvidia GFX card to even work... and I can see everyone of those balloons and pieces of debris on the ground... and I have an HD3000 card from Intel... I have no doubt that they employ some sort of physics engine but its not PhysX...

If that's true, then having it would be bad since those of us with ATI/AMD cards wouldn't be able to see them, so that's a lot of work put in to adding something that doesn't even make a difference for some people.

chi1701d 02-25-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tangolight (Post 8302401)
If that's true, then having it would be bad since those of us with ATI/AMD cards wouldn't be able to see them, so that's a lot of work put in to adding something that doesn't even make a difference for some people.

Nvidia PhysX is part of AMD Catalyst drivers. The location is within windows control panel.

My old AMD 4870 HD had physx.

cptskeeteruk 02-25-2013 10:36 AM

Tho to get around the amd cant use it argument i think the way funcom have done for their mmo engine is to use physx by nvidia server side so all users can experience it. Also apparently it helps performance too cos of it. Which is actually a damn fine idea. Letting all users experience true physx effects and simulations without the need of the hardware on the users end. God i hope cryptic can investigate it as at least a possibility in the future and look at funcoms mmo engine and its games and try to get that kind of physx in sto. Would love to fire a phaser at a wall and see sparks fly off the point of impact. Or seeing explosions proper ones not a texture in space and nebula damn them being used by physx would be so immersive i mean just think of what eject warp plasma would be like. :)

Just been reading more about what funcoms done. Apparently one of the big hogs of a mmo is collision calculations and when they implemented nvidia based server side physx it did a much better job than what they had originally and it doubled their performance which in turn let them have more players in a shard and more shards in general etc. So that alone i think would be quite nice for sto to have especially considering their performance issues sometimes when a large amount of players gets in the game like when seasons are released or a event is on. With what they have in place tho opens up more physx possibilites tho as the framework is there.

erocker 02-25-2013 11:02 AM

PhysX is crap... Obsolete... Garbage. Why use some horrible proprietary software when all of these things can be done using GPGPU on DX11 that is much more efficient. PhysX is not getting more popular, it is dying. About once a year a game is released that uses GPU PhysX and that's about it. Let it die.

jornado 02-25-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amayakitsune (Post 8301521)

PhysX calculations will run in software mode (I.e. on your CPU) if there is no dedicated hardware solution.

It makes a huge difference on older machines....if I disable PhysX on my 9600GT my poor 6 year old dual core can't handle large amounts of objects onscreen at once - star base tribbles are especially bad. With PhysX enable there is no slowdown whatsoever.

So yeah, STO unquestionably uses PhysX for certain objects. I for one would not look forward to a DX11 centric solution as I would have to drop some cash on new hardware.

That being said, PhysX is indeed dead/dying, for the excellent reasons already stated above, and good riddance, hardware agnostic solutions have always been preferable to proprietary optimizations.

edit: just tested, again in fleet star base pile of tribbles. GPU usage with PhysX enabled was 100%, CPU usage averaged 37% and FPS over 2 minutes of kicking tribbles averaged 46.2. Same situation, new instance to use same tribble pile, PhysX off, GPU averaged 65% usage,CPU locked at 100% with fans going nuts, average of 12.7 FPS over 2 minutes. If I set debris and all physics settings to min/off, the results between PhysX enabled and disabled show a negligible difference.

PhysX is a complete physics SDK, like HAVOK. It doesn't require nVidia hardware to run, but its a helluva lot faster with it.