Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Lack of lightning,.. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=566791)

thestargaze 02-25-2013 10:41 AM

Lack of lightning,..

Am I the only one struggling with this.

Some places are really dark.. that you can hardly see your own character face. Like on the shuttle bridge. KDF has this problem on most maps.

Is it really suppose to be like that?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-3...25Februari2013

dracounguis 02-25-2013 10:44 AM

Someone call Zeus and put in an order for some lightning! ;)

Yeah, there are some dark places. But nowhere near my Top 10 list of things Cryptic needs to fix ASAP

calamintha 02-25-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dracounguis (Post 8301731)

Yeah, there are some dark places. But nowhere near my Top 10 list of things Cryptic needs to fix ASAP

I was so hoping this would be a thread about adding weather effects.

thestargaze 02-25-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dracounguis (Post 8301731)

LOL,.. my English... you know what I mean.

lordmalak1 02-25-2013 10:56 AM

Yes, running with low quality video will make some maps extremely dark, and a flashlight is useless. The lower levels of Drozana are pitch black, so I've had to play them from the ui inset map until something appears that I can shoot at, then the guns light up the room.

Working as it's intended to- buy a high quality video card so you can see all the eye candy the devs are paid to produce.

kamiyama317 02-25-2013 01:11 PM

Actually no. I can see well on every map in the game. Including that lower level of Drozana where they make you take a flashlight. The flashlights don't seem to work for me at all, when I turn them on I see nothing. But I can see the interior fine in the so-called "darkness" anyway, so I have never actually needed to use it.

I have all my graphics options set to the lowest possible setting, so it may very well be that I am just not seeing shadows and lights properly on my PC.

blevok 02-25-2013 01:20 PM

i despise not being able to see, fortunately there's a brightness adjuster in the video settings.

tacofangs 02-25-2013 03:26 PM

Your individual gamma settings make a huge difference.
Goto Options>Video>Brightness Calibration Screen

and make sure you CAN read the darkest text. It should be dark, but not invisible.

ocp001 02-25-2013 03:29 PM

While I was hoping for awesome weather tech thread... Yeh the game is pretty dark sometimes.

Off topic would love to see some weather on planets, snow rain wind and lightening.

Also those awesome nebulas you fly into in sector space, lightening flashes energy discharges... Yes please!

boglejam73 02-25-2013 09:59 PM

Not to argue the post from the Taco guy - but to me it looks like the screen-shotted toon is experiencing the shadow flicker issue I have been seeing when I have dx11 support enabled.

If I am standing (for example) at the ESD bank and back my camera off a bit, all of the toons around me have this flicker between normal and blackface going on. And its synchronic between all of the visible toon flesh...they all blink black and then normal all at the same time. Flicker constantly.

I have found that turning off shadows seems to somewhat fix the issue. But I found the best thing to do was to go back to dx9. At least then my Defiant doesn't have the black triangle o' bad textures on its underside.

I wonder if the shadow flicker in dx11 mode is linked to that shader compile error message I see when I launch the game when dx11 support is enabled?

And before someone says its my hardware - I play on an PC with an i7 processor, 12gb of ram, with an Nvidia GTX 670 video card. STO isn't that graphically challenging, unless you are playing on some crappy intel integrated vid card on a 7 year old laptop, maybe. :D