Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Let's collect ideas on how to get more balanced matches in PvP (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=567881)

sophlogimo 02-26-2013 07:30 AM

Let's collect ideas on how to get more balanced matches in PvP

PvP is said to be in a bad state. In my opinion, this is mainly due to unbalanced games in the queues, which makes the PvP experience for the average new "try it out" player highly random. Solve that problem one way or another, and PvP will be more frequented.

So, let us collect ideas how to achieve this. How can we get more balanced games in the queues? What changes to the game would lead to this?

Edit: Ideas found until now:
  • Have seperate Queues for premade teams and random pick up groups.
  • Score each player for various stats like damage dealt, damage healed, movement impaired, buffs stripped, etc. as an average over a certain amount of past matches, and queue players up vs one another who are roughly of the same level.
  • Assign point values to various levels of gear, and have people queue up vs people of similar gear level.

lascaille 02-26-2013 07:35 AM

following this link
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/fo...play.php?f=351
will show you the best idea

maximus614 02-26-2013 07:44 AM

many do not like to go in the arena knowing they will be on a team of randoms possibly faced against a premade who has the best gear and plays together often using mics to speak.

Im not hating on premades ive made them myself, but they need to seperate it somehow,,,nobody likes going in the arena against a premade with randoms and losing 15-0 which is why many people stay out of the arena because they know its and automatic ass whoopin. Needs to be a queue for premades and one for just randoms.

naz4 02-26-2013 08:28 AM

Ever considered why its an ass whoopin when you enter arenas?
The pve game is so mindless in terms of AI that it misleads people into believing they are good. This mental state of mind is taken to the queues for the first time and then smashed to bits. To preserve whatever is left after that, they never enter queues again.
1 simple thing would improve the state of play for all newcomers overnight. Make distribute shields a standard feature which is always on and does not have to be activaed. This in itself would reduce the insta pop face role pattern.

Balance is another issue altogeter. As the devs have confirmed themselves, balancing on 1v1 is not possible. I fully agree with this.
Question has to be what are you balancing against? What is the benchmark? If this isnt defined, the question is pointless in itself.
Why bother trying to balance to an unknown criteria? You will never balance anything.

borgresearcher 02-26-2013 08:32 AM

agreed with the reroute capacity, it should be a captain skill with 1 minute cooldown that automatically reroutes shield for 10 seconds, tactical team should only give more damage, just like engineering team that gives only hull, and science team that only gives shield,

i really loved that idea

sophlogimo 02-26-2013 11:39 AM

Anyone actually wanting to contribute to the thread?

lordmalak1 02-26-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

So, let us collect ideas how to achieve this. How can we get more balanced games in the queues? What changes to the game would lead to this?
A BPV system comes to mind, but doesn't exist in STO.

So we're left with private matches where the rules are setup in advance.

dalnar83 02-26-2013 11:52 AM

I think first the match making system has to be improved so it makes teams play against teams, then add randoms to it if one team is lacking members.

Also I would probably remove FvK and kvK and Fvf and make it just PvP. The reasoning behind this is that there are premades on K side, there are premades on F side, but neither of them has the balls to get into private queue and fight each other.

If there would be just single queue, and teams would be matches to teams automatically, the queues would be improved for majority of casual pvpers.

Might as well do just two queues, pvp and elite pvp. Elite pvp would accept only teams.

shockwave85 02-26-2013 12:36 PM

I think the biggest thing is just some sort of matchmaking based on relative skill. You win, number goes up. You lose, number goes down. Maybe have a leader board so people have incentive to try and drive that up as high as possible. Some people will sandbag and deliberately keep their ranking low so they can pull the "I'm not left handed" and own some noobs, but not much you can do about that. Hopefully they will be in minority.

capnmanx 02-26-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shockwave85 (Post 8324221)
I think the biggest thing is just some sort of matchmaking based on relative skill. You win, number goes up. You lose, number goes down. Maybe have a leader board so people have incentive to try and drive that up as high as possible. Some people will sandbag and deliberately keep their ranking low so they can pull the "I'm not left handed" and own some noobs, but not much you can do about that. Hopefully they will be in minority.

Interesting idea, but are there ever really enough people in the queues to make it work? Can't help but think we'd end up waiting hours for enough people in a given skill bracket to join in.