Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Windows and General: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=401)
-   -   Client Download Speed (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=56792)

Archived Post 01-12-2010 10:09 AM

Client Download Speed

Hi

I pre-ordered through atari. I was directed to the /download page and have now tried all of the recommendations available to me. At best, my download will complete in 10 days time. This is not what i expected when i purchased this game. I understand that this is the open beta segment, but that part was apart of the advertised package. I find it unfair that D2D users are given a high-speed download, but I have to wait 10 days and miss out of most of the beta. Why are faster download links not available?

Archived Post 01-12-2010 10:16 AM

I'm having the same problem as you. I'm not sure how long it will take to download but I haven't even gotten close to 1% yet?

Archived Post 01-12-2010 10:23 AM

Same here. Preodered from amazon, hate torrent and all other options are awfull. Someone upload this to rapidshare already or any other good download option for that matter...

Archived Post 01-12-2010 10:34 AM

Same with me. I estimate that my dl will be finished in just 70 hours or so. This is the first and last time I ever try this again.

Archived Post 01-12-2010 10:50 AM

This message is for anyone at Cryptic who cares in the slightest bit. I really wanted to order through your parent company but the download speed in not acceptable. I have cancelled my atari pre-order and have gone with Direct 2 Drive.

Fileplanet Speed for Atari DL = 0-20kbs

D2D download speed = 50-150kbs

I am sorry to loose the 500 cryptic points, but waiting 10days to get in the beta was just too much for me. Sorry.

Archived Post 01-12-2010 10:56 AM

Yuck

I agree that the downloading of the open beta client stinks heavily. The best speed I'm getting (I pre-ordered from Amazon) is 60-90kb a second from the torrent. My cable modem fairly recently upgraded their service so I could download 1.8 megabytes a second (on average). I am very disappointed.

Archived Post 01-12-2010 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robon
Same with me. I estimate that my dl will be finished in just 70 hours or so. This is the first and last time I ever try this again.

Yep, 4 days to download the 7.8Gig client, but then you have a 10Gig patch. I might be lucky to get downloaded by the time the head start begins.

Archived Post 01-12-2010 11:04 AM

i have been DL since last night from like 6 pm ESt to 11 pm it took me up to 8 percent... i have even tried disabling my firewall to make it go faster.. currently i am t 19 percent speed is fluxuating wildly.. it would help to know w hat ports they are trasmitting on so we can add them to firewall exceptions

Archived Post 01-12-2010 11:11 AM

It is not a firewall issue, it is a "Cryptic dropping the ball" issue. The same download is used for the Fileplanet version as is the D2D version. The D2D version is MUCH MUCH faster. Since the few moment ago when I changed to D2D, I have been getting a steady 150 kb/s. Same downloaded, but fileplanet is trying to force to to make a 7$ purchase on the back of a game that the PARENT COMPANY (atari) should have found a reliable way of distributing their own beta. Fileplanet was just looking to make a quick buck, and I bet a whole bunch of future STO player bought their so-called premium speeds.

Archived Post 01-12-2010 11:16 AM

Worst download ever!

I have beta tested alot of MMO's in my time (Fall Earth, LotRO, WAR, ect) and played just about every other mmo out there and I have never, NEVER come accross suck a cluster-beep- in a company getting their game out to the open (or closed for that matter) beta testers. This is just plain insanity. I have been trying to download since yesterday afternoon and have been rewarded first with FilePlanet opening its download manager and taking 15 min "preparing file for download" and then getting an error saying the server is overloaded. Tried every free server download with the same result. Then I finually started to get the file to get past the prep stage to get in line, only to wait until it was my turn and then have it get a few minutes into the DL and then fail with message that the download is corrupt. Finually last night I get fileplanet to start downloading at zero dark 30 (at 20 kb a sec...thats blazing...*sarcasim*) and go to bed. I wake up to find that the download failed 535mb into the file. Thats just stellar. Now keep in mind that I didnt just limit myself to the fileplanet download method either. I tried using bit torrent, which I use quite regularly with no problems. I got the torrent from the official star trek online site and start bit torrent and.....nothing. 116 peers and 0 seeders. That continued until this morning at ten o'clock. I also, in my desperation to get some method of download (both because of my geekish need to play the game and the fact that file had open slighed and challenged me just as if it had walked over and slapped my face with its digital glove) I tried the sights "star trek online downloader" that it had posted as a last resort for all us chumps trying to get the file. This method did indeed smoothly open and start downloading, but at a rate that after 4 hours yeilded 0.01% of the download complete. At that rate I would die a very old man with it still not finished. SO finually at about 10 am this morning fileplanet actually (praise jesus) actually started working, abait at squirts of 0.00 to 52 kb per sec which will put the down load at several days from finishing....but at least its working. AND bit torrent started working with 6 seeds and 44 peers connected to give me a 160-185 kbps download speed that will finish in approx 11 hours from now. Thats if the gods are happy and the planets alined and bit torrent stays stable with seeders connected. SO finually I get to my point....WHAT THE *&^$#@%% WAS THE DEVS THINKING!!!!! (or were they not) when they set up the method of destributing the open beta client? I have to say this is the most epic fail I have seen since matrix online came out ( and that was bad). Heres to hoping that the game is much much better and that patches are either handled different or nonexistant. And Devs..... :mad: shame on you.